Dry Hop Quantity Alpha Acids When to add
    Cascade 60g 4.5% Dry hop after 5 days
    Bramling Cross 35g 6% Dry hop after 5 days

Beer Profile:
    Original Gravity: 1.048
    Final Gravity: 1.010
    Recipe Type: all‐grain
    Yield: 25.00 Litres
    I made a bread beer, using only bread. Not good. Recipe on back of Anchor Brewers Yeast packet.

What bread will you use?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
      I made a bread beer, using only bread. Not good. Recipe on back of Anchor Brewers Yeast packet.

What bread will you use?
      Well we first have to determine if you EVER brew something good..........

Looking at brown/wholewheat, maybe a touch of rye for the sourness and rye flavour profile.

Did you dry the bread properly beforehand?

Comment

I did not dry my bread. Just tore it up. I would suggest flavourful bread, as a plain bread will not do anything apart from adding fermentables

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

It depends what kind of beer style you are attempting to make - but from your hopping rate I'll be very surprised if you can taste your alternative fermentable at all. Bread equates to raw wheat flakes with a maillard reaction, which means that you could quite happily use it in something like a Belgian wit at a rate of 30% of your grist (like you're currently doing) and it will be a great canvas to let the coriander and orange peel shine.

Pretty much any beer style that benefits from raw wheat adjuncts would fit perfectly - dump the bread in a food processor, blend away and chuck it in your mash tun...although more than 30% would require both yeast nutrient and rice hulls / oat husks. One thing to note in your current recipe, you will lose flavour at your current percentage and the hops may need a bit more of a platform to stand on - an easy work around would be to add 1 - 2 grams of Epsom salts to your mash tun to increase Magnesium content and create a fuller impression of your beer...the sulphates work great for than monstrous hopping schedule you got going there anyway lol!

Comment

Long time ago a black woman tried to teach me african brews. One of her regulars was pineaple and bread and when we were lucky palm wine and bread. Dates or figs would complement BUT it was African opague...

If you look into beer history, like ancient egiptian and sumartrian? Beer were brewed with bread. Doubt the bread was what we eat today but maybe a potbread or rusk. The bread helped with starch sugar conversion O think.

Comment

Originally posted by kruger_brewer View Post
              It depends what kind of beer style you are attempting to make - but from your hopping rate I'll be very surprised if you can taste your alternative fermentable at all. Bread equates to raw wheat flakes with a maillard reaction, which means that you could quite happily use it in something like a Belgian wit at a rate of 30% of your grist (like you're currently doing) and it will be a great canvas to let the coriander and orange peel shine.

Pretty much any beer style that benefits from raw wheat adjuncts would fit perfectly - dump the bread in a food processor, blend away and chuck it in your mash tun...although more than 30% would require both yeast nutrient and rice hulls / oat husks. One thing to note in your current recipe, you will lose flavour at your current percentage and the hops may need a bit more of a platform to stand on - an easy work around would be to add 1 - 2 grams of Epsom salts to your mash tun to increase Magnesium content and create a fuller impression of your beer...the sulphates work great for than monstrous hopping schedule you got going there anyway lol!
              strangely enough, that recipe is from these guys:

http://www.toastale.com/

but yes, the idea is to see what combination of wheat and even rye with base malts will give you: maybe see if you can get the same mouthfeel as a witbier with more of the bready, toasty effect of some of the British strong ales.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                strangely enough, that recipe is from these guys:

http://www.toastale.com/

but yes, the idea is to see what combination of wheat and even rye with base malts will give you: maybe see if you can get the same mouthfeel as a witbier with more of the bready, toasty effect of some of the British strong ales.
                Sounds like fun! Saw the website as well - I'd guess you could probably taste more in the lager than in any of the others. Imagine the complexity you'd get in an English Brown Ale (with toasted bread slices that have been blended into crumbs), bumped up with some biscuit malt and / or brown malt. Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by kruger_brewer View Post
                  Sounds like fun! Saw the website as well - I'd guess you could probably taste more in the lager than in any of the others. Imagine the complexity you'd get in an English Brown Ale (with toasted bread slices that have been blended into crumbs), bumped up with some biscuit malt and / or brown malt. Yum!
                  yep that where we are going with the idea
                  I wouldn't crumb the bread though, they say small chunks are fine, and crumbs can clog your mash

Comment

Working...
                  X