Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle conditioning temperature

Hi All

I am having some issues with temperature at which my bottled beer conditions.
    I am quite new to brewing and this is my first winter.
    Currently where my bottles are stored it varies between 10 - 14 celcius.

Only my entertianment area is warmer during the day about 20 - 25 celcuis in sun light coming through large windows, but drops drastically in the evening about 10 celcuis. Could store bottles here but worried about large temp variation.

Any suggestions, advise etc.

Thanks

PS
    This forum is great getting lots of good info and feedback, thanks guys.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Hi All

I am having some issues with temperature at which my bottled beer conditions.
    I am quite new to brewing and this is my first winter.
    Currently where my bottles are stored it varies between 10 - 14 celcius.

Only my entertianment area is warmer during the day about 20 - 25 celcuis in sun light coming through large windows, but drops drastically in the evening about 10 celcuis. Could store bottles here but worried about large temp variation.

Any suggestions, advise etc.

Thanks

PS
    This forum is great getting lots of good info and feedback, thanks guys.
    Store them in a cooler box and when they're nice and warm (~25°C) close the lid and cover with a blanket. Repeat daily. It'll drastically reduce the temp difference.

Comment

Hey there, nice to hear from someone in the close vicinity, I agree with toxxyc, wrap them up nice and warm, alternatively you can even use a small heated blanket, second suggestion every few days turn the bottles upside down, so that the yeast that settled at bottom gets mixed up again for better priming

Comment

I've had to use my second fermentation fridge with heat pads from a reptile supplier to keep temps up to around 23 for my belgians that were really struggling. The pad is linked to a controller but it's basically heating full time with a 14w pad to keep temps up so think you don't even really need to employ a controller. R70 for pad and wire to a plug. Monitor temp and tweak it a bit. Even one of those basic wall plug timers could work if you are getting a bit too much love from your heat pad.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
          I've had to use my second fermentation fridge with heat pads from a reptile supplier to keep temps up to around 23 for my belgians that were really struggling. The pad is linked to a controller but it's basically heating full time with a 14w pad to keep temps up so think you don't even really need to employ a controller. R70 for pad and wire to a plug. Monitor temp and tweak it a bit. Even one of those basic wall plug timers could work if you are getting a bit too much love from your heat pad.
          If you want to heat, even a normal incandescent bulb in a study lamp will work wonders.

Comment

My cheat would be:
            Place the beers in a crate/container, cover with blanket (to avoid direct sunlight) and place in a sunny place.

I usually just leave my beers in a closet for a few weeks. Choose a closet that is against a wall that gets direct sunlight during the day.

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Decided to use an old electric blanket.
              Hi Tmartins, you are the closest home brewer I have heard from.
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
              X