Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings

Oops, Just saw this board now.

Thanks Jigsaw for the warm welcome on my very first post. Cape Town born and bred here, relatively new brewer. Predominantly extract brewing up until recently but now full swing into all-grain.
    Learned a lot here already and much prefer a local flavour to all the international forums.

Looking forward to learning and sharing more along the way, I might do a thread of my Demacraft 50l clone as I get along

Thanks again to all for chipping in sound advice when I need it

Cheers

Welcome.
    Yes, please do a thread on your Dema clone build. There are quiet a few of us going the path of the urnfather.

Comment

Thanks,

I will do, I'm still debating whether or not to go with a PID for the Urn or just a simple STC1000. With a mash temp range of about 6 degrees I reckon the STC will suffice.

Comment

Yeah I go back and forth too, I suppose it depends how how automated you want to go. If you want full automated stepped mashes, hop rests etc. a PID would work with craftbrew pi and other brew software where as a STC won't. But that is only based on my half-assed research and not personal experience.

Comment

Indeed! Do I want an Urnfather that just works or must it look 'cool' too. I'm leaning toward 'just works'. I've burnt cash before in other hobbies going posh when it's not really required

Comment

my 2c, do a few manual brews first. controller is nice to have. if you can maintain temp whilst circulating wort then you're good. you can always upgrade later. most valued feature for the gf connect for me is the delayed heating function and you can achieve that with a smart switch and temp combo to inch/pulse your element when set temp is reached

Comment

Working...
            X