US-05 3 day ferment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US-05 3 day ferment?

I did a Blonde Ale on Thursday morning. Pitched my packet of dry US-05 into it and by that evening it had started to go to town. Friday morning it was bubbling at around once every 30 seconds. Friday afternoon it was up to around once every 10 seconds. Saturday it went psycho, bubbling basically constantly in the morning. Saturday afternoon it had slowed down to once every 3 seconds. (BTW, the fermenter is in the lounge so thats why I know these details) This morning it is bubbling maybe once every hour and a half to 2 hours, if that.

Wort temps have ranged between the 22-24 point the entire time.

Is it possible to get a 3 day ferment out of US-05?
    There once was a man from Nantucket.
    Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
    He put the wort into there,
    to cut down on the air.
    Then drank it all up like a muppet.

SG will tell, but iirc it was a longer story with us05. Depends on your fermentation temperature etc.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a golden ale on the fermentation chamber at the moment which used 05. It had been 2 weeks today and there is still activity.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FriedPiggy View Post
        I did a Blonde Ale on Thursday morning. Pitched my packet of dry US-05 into it and by that evening it had started to go to town. Friday morning it was bubbling at around once every 30 seconds. Friday afternoon it was up to around once every 10 seconds. Saturday it went psycho, bubbling basically constantly in the morning. Saturday afternoon it had slowed down to once every 3 seconds. (BTW, the fermenter is in the lounge so thats why I know these details) This morning it is bubbling maybe once every hour and a half to 2 hours, if that.

Wort temps have ranged between the 22-24 point the entire time.

Is it possible to get a 3 day ferment out of US-05?
        Short answer is YES

What is the SG at the moment? ... and don't think because its done you can bottle now ... Let it sit a few days longer for the yeast to do some "clean-up"
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

No idea of the SG right now. Decided that even though it is finished, I am only taking a reading on Tuesday and then again on Wednesday. Once it is stable for 3 days in a row I will bottle. Not in any major rush, even though I have zero beer in the house (Thanks for that Squirrel) I got plenty whiskey and gin so its all good for now. Was mostly just confused about how stupidly fast it seemed to go. Thought I was using Ragnarok for a while there.
          There once was a man from Nantucket.
          Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
          He put the wort into there,
          to cut down on the air.
          Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

So I have a different kind of problem, also with US-05..

I have pitched the yeast on Sunday night at around 22deg. I left it for two days and still couldn't see bubbles at the airlock. Fetched a spoon, sterilised it and opened the fermenter to give it a good stir. Then I saw there is action in there judging by the bubbles on top of the wort, and concluded that there must be a leak somewhere.

Stuck some prestik around the base of the airlock, hoping it might seal it until i can investigate further, but it did not seem to work. Still no bubbles in airlock. I was hoping to gauge when it is finished by checking the bubbles and leave it for a couple of additional days since I do not have a hydrometer, but that is obviously not going to happen.

Would you say that 14 days will be more than sufficient before bottling? I think that fermentation should be wrapped up by then.

Comment

Take out the bubbler, put something loose over the hole, and relax! I rarely wait more than 10 days with US05. 14 days will do you well
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Yeast takes as long as it takes. With these kits I've learned this most. Mine finished in 4 days this week. Some other guy fermented his for 10 days and it was still not ready (yet he bottled anyway for some reason). Yeast doesn't read the rules. It does what it wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  Yeast takes as long as it takes. With these kits I've learned this most. Mine finished in 4 days this week. Some other guy fermented his for 10 days and it was still not ready (yet he bottled anyway for some reason). Yeast doesn't read the rules. It does what it wants.
                  That is true. I have resorted to leaving it to do exactly that. Temp is controlled now (well sort of) I will go and check it again next Friday to see what's happening.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                    Take out the bubbler, put something loose over the hole, and relax! I rarely wait more than 10 days with US05. 14 days will do you well
                    Day 14... Opened the fermenter bucket and can stil see some activity. Should I rather leave for another day or 3 before I bottle?

Comment

Originally posted by HAP-BR3W View Post
                      Day 14... Opened the fermenter bucket and can stil see some activity. Should I rather leave for another day or 3 before I bottle?

I decided (oh shit...) that the activity was due to me moving the bucket, it is now quiet in there.
                      Will mix in priming sugar, wait an hour for everything to settle while I sanitise bottles.

Will report back if there was any bombs

Comment

Sounds like a plan
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Im on my first ferment with US-05 and Im a little worried...
                          I havent seen any bubbling in the airlock and I pitched on Monday.
                          I could smell the hops in the room its fermenting in so I think the grommet for the airlock isnt sealing very well.
                          Im super worried about opening up to look inside, is that a bad idea at this point? I know I need to dry hop in a few days but it needs to ferment first!!

Temp in the room its in has been around 18-20deg since it started.

Comment

Take a gravity reading, it will reveal all

Comment

+1 what BOMB said. rely on readings more than bubbles. Also, dont get too hung up on opening a lid to take a look, it wont catastrophically ruin a batch. But dont do it every 5 minutes like Toxxyc

Thats a cool start for US05 but it will get there
                              Cheers,
                              Lang
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                              X