Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6x 5gal happy fermenters

20201014_181915.jpg
    Bloep bloep bloepoep bloeboedoep bloep bloep.
    You have no idea how happy these fermenters are.

3 on the left are Mad Giant Killer Hop about finished active fermenting. 3 right are Mad Giant Killer Hop with oats in active fermentation. About 4 degrees difference in temp. Photo take a week or so ago ..
    AlexBrew
    Last edited by AlexBrew; 22 October 2020, 16:56. Reason: added text

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2730[/ATTACH]
    Bloep bloep bloepoep bloeboedoep bloep bloep.
    You have no idea how happy these fermenters are.

3 on the left are Mad Giant Killer Hop about finished active fermenting. 3 right are Mad Giant Killer Hop with oats in active fermentation. About 4 degrees difference in temp. Photo take a week or so ago ..
    WoW, you seem to have a brewing problem

PS: Why does that one in the middle have so much trub ?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Now I don't feel so bad having 3 or 4 batches on the go sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        Why does that one in the middle have so much trub ?
        I decanted the yeast cake from previous batch into this lot. The one in the middle must have had the bottom lot - i.e most of the sediment

Comment

Wow. You are really brewing up a storm

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Holy crap, verrry niiiiiiiice!

You got me thinking about using those water containers myself now... only problem is i dont have a damn siphon and bottling bucket...
            Lemme see if i can get one or two then that will offset the cost for the extra equipment needed.

Just one thing - i take it you're very pedantic about light getting "near" them? especially with a highly hopped brew in?

Comment

Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
              Holy crap, verrry niiiiiiiice!

Just one thing - i take it you're very pedantic about light getting "near" them? especially with a highly hopped brew in?
              This is why I moved from those water carboys to black 25lt buckets

Comment

I have the zipped up in an old sleeping bag to keep ambient temperatures consistent as possible. As I don't have a ferminator yet (something I'm considdering - but don't really have space). This will suffice for the meantime. Also in winter when it was cold at night I placed a couple of 5litre hotwater bottles inside the sleeping bag - in summer I might considder adding ice bottles.

I once saw on TV where the SA govt where donating these slow cooker insulated bags where you put your hot pot in to informal settlements - got me the idea on sourcing something like that - hence the sleeping bag idea.

I buy these carboys from a local RO H20 shop. R150 for clean ones and R100 for dusty ones. Dusty ones thank you very much. There is a manufacturers sticker on there - mayby sourcing them from the factory might be cheaper. Let me know then I'll upload the details. I have priced them shops in shopping centres and there the will go for R350.. I get mine from a shop in Malmesbury.

Comment

I buy these carboys from a local RO H20 shop. R150 for clean ones and R100 for dusty ones. Dusty ones thank you very much. There is a manufacturers sticker on there - mayby sourcing them from the factory might be cheaper. Let me know then I'll upload the details. I have priced them shops in shopping centres and there the will go for R350.. I get mine from a shop in Malmesbury.
                  25 lt Black buckets cost me R49.00 and are pretty immune to any light source. Makes my dry-hopping much easier as well.

Comment

I have the zipped up in an old sleeping bag to keep ambient temperatures consistent as possible. As I don't have a ferminator yet (something I'm considdering - but don't really have space). This will suffice for the meantime. Also in winter when it was cold at night I placed a couple of 5litre hotwater bottles inside the sleeping bag - in summer I might considder adding ice bottles.

I once saw on TV where the SA govt where donating these slow cooker insulated bags where you put your hot pot in to informal settlements - got me the idea on sourcing something like that - hence the sleeping bag idea.

Hopefully you're using Kveik and the fluctuating temps won't matter much

Thanks for the info, i'll ask the Office if i can buy some off them (not sure how it works with the water co doing the office water).

Comment

www.fabocaps.co.za/

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully you're using Kveik and the fluctuating temps won't matter much
                      No .. mainly US05 .. but the beers taste smell and look great. Proof in the pictures ?

Kveik is deffinitely something I'll try when summer temps go nuts. Can get quite hot here 35..40 deg C .. sounds like the perfect environment for Kveik
                      AlexBrew
                      Last edited by AlexBrew; 23 October 2020, 10:59. Reason: added txt

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                        25 lt Black buckets cost me R49.00 and are pretty immune to any light source. Makes my dry-hopping much easier as well.
                        I use black buckets as well. How does it make dry hopping easier?

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                          I use black buckets as well. How does it make dry hopping easier?
                          Easier to lift the lid and drop in 100-200g of hops in a hop bag than trying to stuff it down a narrow carboy neck

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                            Easier to lift the lid and drop in 100-200g of hops in a hop bag than trying to stuff it down a narrow carboy neck
                            oh crap. yeah no thanks, mind changed regarding those now. I guess buckets or a conical will have to do

Comment

oh crap. yeah no thanks, mind changed regarding those now. I guess buckets or a conical will have to do
                              Cleaning is MUCH easier as well

Comment

Working...
                              X