What software do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What software do you use?

I am using iBrewMaster as I dont have access to a computer at home (work one has all sorts of firewalls i.e. no installing of software) so will be using my iPad. I did some research and it seems that iBrewMaster is one of the better brewing apps for iOS. Beersmith have just released an app but it is a "lite" version so no fields are editable and is more an app to sync your recipes with your PC software. They are planning a full version but no release date....and I cant wait!!

One of the main issue, from my perspective, with iBM is that they have no BIAB mashing profile (unlike Beersmith). I have found a post on the web explaining how to set up your own profile but is a bit confusing so I am still playing to try get the calculations correct.

Otherwise it seems pretty cool. Has a batch manager, scheduler with timers, built in recipes, scalers etc.

Now to brew a batch based on it's calculations..........
    Brewery Name:
    YogiBeer
    Kit:
    BIAB - 17l Pot, 2 x 1 gallon carboys.
    Extract - 1 Coppertun fermenter, 1 Coopers Fermenter
    Current Brews:
    Primary: Nothing
    Secondary: Nothing
    Conditioning: Munich Lager
    American Amber Ale
    Dry Stout
    PowerPorte
    Next: Dunkel Weizen....someday

I use BeerSmith ... not too bothered with whether there is a mobile version, as I usually mess my wort on a paper print of my recipe, rather than on my iPad
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I've tried a few including Beersmith and haven't figured them out yet. They seem to ask the questions I'm wanting them to provide answers to.

Comment

I'm using BeerSmith.
        "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

BeerSmith - and I love it.

Simon you must try the Beersmith Lite. I can't brew without it. The timers and recipe on your phone while brewing is awesome.
          Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Originally posted by cavok View Post
            I've tried a few including Beersmith and haven't figured them out yet. They seem to ask the questions I'm wanting them to provide answers to.
            What kind of questions are you needing answers to?

I think the main issue with Beersmith is setting up the proper equipment profiles, and then tweak them as you brew

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post

What kind of questions are you needing answers to?

I think the main issue with Beersmith is setting up the proper equipment profiles, and then tweak them as you brew
              Things like water volumes and temperatures for the mash and boil. There's a bunch of technical stuff I know nothing about that it wants to know too. Also asks about various gravities. That I can only know on brew day. And yes the equipment list isn't exactly complete.

What I want is software that I can punch in my recipe and have it tell me what to aim for.
              cavok
              Last edited by cavok; 25 April 2013, 14:46.

Comment

Originally posted by cavok View Post
                Things like water volumes and temperatures for the mash and boil. There's a bunch of technical stuff I know nothing about that it wants to know too. Also asks about various gravities. That I can only know on brew day. And yes the equipment list isn't exactly complete.

What I want is software that I can punch in my recipe and have it tell me what to aim for.
                It gives you all that, as long as you know what final output you are aiming for, what recipe style you want to use, and whether you want a light, medium or full bodied beer, and how much carbonation.

If you have your equipment profile set up correctly you're a-for-away.

So lets say you have been given a recipe that is for a 50 l final output, you can punch in that recipe, and actually scale it for your equipment.

When it asks for gravities, those gravities are your brew day gravities. It does tell you what gravities to aim for for each style (color bars in main page), what color you will be getting, what bitterness etc etc.

It is also pretty good at inventory management.

If you want I can give you a quick primer?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
                  If you want I can give you a quick primer?
                  Yes please, perhaps when I come to collect?

Comment

I also use iBrewmaster, I find it pretty simple to use, it's just the recipe instructions and nothing too fancy or technical.
                    I like the brewing and addition timers being on hand and easily accessable nearby while brewing.
                    I have BeerSmith on PC but I also find it a bit confusing when it comes to entering all the information of the brewing setup and processes, so I dont use it, except for rough recipe formulation within a specific style...

Comment

I got BeerSmith 2 yesterday from The Beer Keg (http://www.thebeerkeg.co.za/catalog///beer-smith.html) for R160. About R60 cheaper than from BeerSmith themselves!

I was not prepared for the initial shock when you open the app and you are bombarded with buttons!

I played around, trying to load a "proper" recipe into the app. I quickly realized that there will be setup and cleaning required before getting the app to work, kind of like brewing. I did a bit of the setup, but also ended up in a few WTF situations. I posted on a Google+ Homebrewing Community that the app was scary and I got replies that I *HAVE* to watch the training videos. I will watch a video or three tonight to see if the training videos are any good.

I also think that the app requires a large high res screen. It is feeling cluttered on my 1440 X 900 (17") laptop screen.

I like the fact that you can save your recipes on the "cloud" aka a server somewhere on the internet. The 15 recipe limit is low and I am not sure what the upgraded storage costs, but that is a problem for later.

Cheers!

Comment

Recently started using BeerSmith 2. Makes it easier to gauge the colour and original gravity, although the software works with a lot of assumptions the colour is accurate enough for me.
                        Primary: Bohemian Lager
                        Secondary: Bohemian lager/ Ale fusion - Added US-05 to secondary
                        Next up: Bohemian Lager
                        Then: Bohemian Lager
                        And Then: Bohemian Lager
                        Conditioning: Chucked Fruit Ale

"What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art."
                        "What's the use of having a mind when you can't change it?"

Comment

Originally posted by Brennen View Post
                          Recently started using BeerSmith 2. Makes it easier to gauge the colour and original gravity, although the software works with a lot of assumptions the colour is accurate enough for me.
                          You can narrow down the assumptions to actual values by using the correct ingredient profiles and equipment profiles

Comment

I am in the process of defining my equipment capacities. Will gauge the accuracy with my next scheduled brew.
                            Primary: Bohemian Lager
                            Secondary: Bohemian lager/ Ale fusion - Added US-05 to secondary
                            Next up: Bohemian Lager
                            Then: Bohemian Lager
                            And Then: Bohemian Lager
                            Conditioning: Chucked Fruit Ale

"What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art."
                            "What's the use of having a mind when you can't change it?"

Comment

Originally posted by Brennen View Post
                              I am in the process of defining my equipment capacities. Will gauge the accuracy with my next scheduled brew.
                              It takes about 5 brews to fine tune your equipment profiles, but you have to accurately measure your volumes at each step

Comment

Working...
                              X