SafAle BE-134 is a beast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SafAle BE-134 is a beast

Doing a Belgium Saison. OG 1.1050 after 24hrs already at 1.1030 and bubbler is going mad.
    Did a top crop after 24 hrs. I definitely want to save some of it.

I think you have an extea 1 in there. Or its one hell of a saison. 1.050 to 1.030? Or at 1.105 its a 13% beer. And im sure some of the whiskey wash guys will want to know how you got that high! Never tried this yeast. Sounds like a champ though 20 points in 1 day.! Making a note!

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
      I think you have an extea 1 in there. Or its one hell of a saison. 1.050 to 1.030? Or at 1.105 its a 13% beer. And im sure some of the whiskey wash guys will want to know how you got that high! Never tried this yeast. Sounds like a champ though 20 points in 1 day.! Making a note!

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
      Typo sorry[emoji1787]
      1.050 to 1.030 in 24 hrs.
      After 48hrs it's looks like it's almost done. Going to test today after 72 hrs

Some people have got to 1.002 from this yeast. I'm expecting a dry crisp refreshing beer.

Comment

Day 7 of the ferment. Its been at 24/25 degrees the whole time but now its stuck for a few days at 1.015
        This should have finished below 1.010

Do you think the top crop could have removed too much yeast? I think I have spoilt this brew.

Comment

Did you mash at a high temp. Even so I would not think it would end so high.
          Could make a starter from the cropped yeast and pitch it.
          Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I don't believe you can actually top crop too much yeast. I don't think it's actually possible. During the phase when you can top-crop the beer is absolutely drenched in active yeast.

Let it sit.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              I don't believe you can actually top crop too much yeast. I don't think it's actually possible. During the phase when you can top-crop the beer is absolutely drenched in active yeast.

Let it sit.
              That's what I thought to.

I have raised temp a little. Will let it sit a few more days.
              I must say the liquid coming out the tap is super murky

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S View Post
                That's what I thought to.

I have raised temp a little. Will let it sit a few more days.
                I must say the liquid coming out the tap is super murky
                It seems the yeast is happiest between 18 and 28 degrees. I wouldn't raise it too much anymore, just give it time. What temperature did you mash at, and what was the recipe?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris S View Post
                  Day 7 of the ferment. Its been at 24/25 degrees the whole time but now its stuck for a few days at 1.015
                  This should have finished below 1.010

Do you think the top crop could have removed too much yeast? I think I have spoilt this brew.
                  I had this chat with someone on here a while ago, although the yeast in question was kveik. Anyway' you'd need to use a hemocytometer to count the amount of yeast cells taken from a sample. Wrt my kveik cropping, it ferments/propogates quickly so no real danger. I mean you pitch 5ml in a batch and crop the lions share 24h later?

I digress, no you didn't ruin your beer, it may have fermented fast and slows down on the cleanup. You could add nutrients (at pitch) and get the ph right for the yeast you used (before pitch) to help the yeast be optimal. I'd raise the temp a few c's if you haven't already, gently rock the fermentor to rouse it, but I wont open it up for another 3-4 days to test. It'll get done.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                    It seems the yeast is happiest between 18 and 28 degrees. I wouldn't raise it too much anymore, just give it time. What temperature did you mash at, and what was the recipe?
                    It was a bevplus high gravity 10L kit. Add 10L of water for 20L in total.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      I had this chat with someone on here a while ago, although the yeast in question was kveik. Anyway' you'd need to use a hemocytometer to count the amount of yeast cells taken from a sample. Wrt my kveik cropping, it ferments/propogates quickly so no real danger. I mean you pitch 5ml in a batch and crop the lions share 24h later?

I digress, no you didn't ruin your beer, it may have fermented fast and slows down on the cleanup. You could add nutrients (at pitch) and get the ph right for the yeast you used (before pitch) to help the yeast be optimal. I'd raise the temp a few c's if you haven't already, gently rock the fermentor to rouse it, but I wont open it up for another 3-4 days to test. It'll get done.
                      I'll rock it and give it time before I cold crash.

I have read on other sites that it can stall and then suddenly wake up again. If I had my other equipment already I would make a bit from what I cropped and add it but I can't do that yet.

Comment

dont worry about to murky, did an english bitter bottled friday and it was "murky" its nice and clear now a week later

Comment

Originally posted by Snyper564 View Post
                          dont worry about to murky, did an english bitter bottled friday and it was "murky" its nice and clear now a week later
                          Lots of sediment in your bottles?

Comment

BE-134 is supposed to attenuate very high, meaning your FG is supposed to be low.

1. Either you had lots of unfermentables in your grain/extract kit or
                            2. You mashed at too high temperature or
                            3. fermentation is not finished yet. .. you say 72hrs .. that's way too soon.

Chances are is it's very murkey coz its still fermenting. What fermenting vessel are you using? .. can you see through it?

I've got clear plastic 5gal carboys and it's easy to see whats going on inside. Even when the krausen has about dissapeared, there still activity inside. I brewed at Saison couple months back with BE-134 and mashed at 63°C, then fermented at 22°C for 8 days, the did the cold crash procedure and finished at 1.004. I would suggest be patient, leave it for another 4 days, then take another SG reading, then cold crash.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                              BE-134 is supposed to attenuate very high, meaning your FG is supposed to be low.

1. Either you had lots of unfermentables in your grain/extract kit or
                              2. You mashed at too high temperature or
                              3. fermentation is not finished yet. .. you say 72hrs .. that's way too soon.

Chances are is it's very murkey coz its still fermenting. What fermenting vessel are you using? .. can you see through it?

I've got clear plastic 5gal carboys and it's easy to see whats going on inside. Even when the krausen has about dissapeared, there still activity inside. I brewed at Saison couple months back with BE-134 and mashed at 63°C, then fermented at 22°C for 8 days, the did the cold crash procedure and finished at 1.004. I would suggest be patient, leave it for another 4 days, then take another SG reading, then cold crash.
                              Hi Alex.
                              Yesterday when I did the test it was on 6 days in the fermenter.
                              I'm using a 20L bucket. Peeping in the top by removing the lid it looks clear but out the tap it looks like soup.
                              I'm going to syphon it into a keg for carbonation after I cold crash so I'm not that worried.

It was a high gravity wort kit so as you say they might have added some unfermentables.
                              I guess I can't complain because I never made the wort. I'm done with kits. I'm just about ready to do my first all grain brew.

Comment

Working...
                              X