PDA

View Full Version : DIY Chillers

SimonB
28th April 2013, 09:55
Just thought I'd post pictures of my chillers.

The tall one is used for cooling my 28l urn. The second one fits a standard 20 to 30l pot. Both use 15m of coil.

The one for the standard pot will be for sale through Beerguevara in near future. I have built a couple now, for friends, and Cavok's will be ready soon... Just needs to the fittings done and will be ready by the weekend.

cavok
28th April 2013, 11:42
I really admire your craftsmanship :D

yeast whisperer
14th May 2013, 14:58
I built a chiller in a hurry the other day from some scrap 1/2" copper tube that was unusable for work as it was no longer round. It has 5 or 6 coils and instead of immersing the coils in the wort, I immerse the coil in a bucket of iced water ( 2 packets of ice from the garage) and pass the wort through the coil. It seems to work very well, at the start of the cooling process the wort comes out of the coil at 10-14C and I end up with 19l of wort at 28C after a single pass through the coil. Only problem is that it is quite difficult to clean. Immediately after use, I have to flush with cold water and then steriliser. Before use I have to flush with fresh water, steriliser and fresh water again before hooking up to the boil kettle.

SimonB
11th June 2013, 12:34
If anyone is interested, the smaller chiller below, designed for 20 and 30 pots, is for sale through Beerguevara (http://www.beerguevara.com) for R1000

Vuilbaard
12th July 2013, 10:19
Thanks to the little discussion I had with Kaapse Vlakte on Wednesday evening, I will be making my own chiller this weekend. I managd to find a damaged coil of tube at a local supplier down the road so it will end up costing a lot less thatn I thought. I haven't soldered anything in about 20 years so I suspect it's going to be a bit of a mess but we'll see. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

SimonB
24th July 2013, 11:39
Latest slightly modified version of my 20-30l chiller, but it looks and functions pretty much the same

Bryan
24th July 2013, 12:23
A work of art, I am a bit embarrassed about mine now. Do you use a pipe bender to get it that neat?

SimonB
24th July 2013, 14:56
A work of art, I am a bit embarrassed about mine now. Do you use a pipe bender to get it that neat?

It's a combination of hard drawn tube, the straight bits, and soft-drawn coil. The coil is hand shaped using two different sizes of cans

Vuilbaard
24th July 2013, 16:18
151It's not pretty but it seems to do the trick. Cools the wort down a helluva lot quicker than dunking my pot into a basin. I made the supply & return long enough to fit into the keggle I intend building next weekend.

Bryan
25th July 2013, 06:25
You hand shaped the coils like that, you've got some patience. How did you keep them in place to solder?

KaapseVlakte
25th July 2013, 08:33
beautiful! looks tons better than mine. i will have to spruce mine up a little. lol. Simon's does look great saw it at the LBHS. mine does the job. cooled my 22 liters of wort yesterday from boiling to 26 degrees in 17 minutes. as long as it is functional and easy to clean, its ok.

CapeTownBrew
18th February 2014, 15:27
Hi Guys,

I really want to build my own chiller, but am really battling to find the softer coiled copper tubing. Any ideas as to where I can get it from and a rough price? What size tubing are you using?

Thanks

StevenD (Slainthe)
18th February 2014, 15:37
Hi Guys,

I really want to build my own chiller, but am really battling to find the softer coiled copper tubing. Any ideas as to where I can get it from and a rough price? What size tubing are you using?

Thanks

Hi....I got my tube through Edelsgas in Retreat, but I am sure you have a branch closer to you. If not, check your local gas supplier. SimonB gets his pipe from MetraClark in Paarden Eiland...apparently quite cheap.

Here's the link to the thread I posted after I finished my unit. http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthread.php?400-It-s-a-thing-of-beauty

CapeTownBrew
18th February 2014, 15:50
Hi....I got my tube through Edelsgas in Retreat, but I am sure you have a branch closer to you. If not, check your local gas supplier. SimonB gets his pipe from MetraClark in Paarden Eiland...apparently quite cheap.

Here's the link to the thread I posted after I finished my unit. http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthread.php?400-It-s-a-thing-of-beauty

Thanks StevenD, what size pipe did you use? I was thinking 1/2 or 3/8? <-Sorry, I re-read your post and saw that it was 3/8!

CapeTownBrew
18th February 2014, 15:57

Unfortunately, MetraClark don't sell to the public! :mad::confused:

SimonB
18th February 2014, 16:09

Says who? I buy all my stuff from them

StevenD (Slainthe)
18th February 2014, 16:11

Hmmmmm.....then SimonB must have a contact... :D

I used the 3/8's pipe, but in hindsight (and if it wasn't so expensive) would have used the half inch to get a bigger surface area in the chilling process.

CapeTownBrew
18th February 2014, 16:25
Says who? I buy all my stuff from them

SimonB, I spoke to Rodney at MetraClark about 30min ago and he told me they can't directly sell to me? I did speak to TescaReco, but they are R726.96 ex VAT for the 3/8

Hmmmmm.....then SimonB must have a contact... :D

I used the 3/8's pipe, but in hindsight (and if it wasn't so expensive) would have used the half inch to get a bigger surface area in the chilling process.

StevenD - That would be the determining factor for me too!

StevenD (Slainthe)
18th February 2014, 16:35
I did speak to TescaReco, but they are R726.96 ex VAT for the 3/8

Wow!! How much pipe for that price?

I think I got 7m of the 3/8' for about R250 at Edelsgas....if memory serves me correctly.

CapeTownBrew
18th February 2014, 16:40
Wow!! How much pipe for that price?

I think I got 7m of the 3/8' for about R250 at Edelsgas....if memory serves me correctly.

It is a 15m roll, so with VAT works out to about R55.25 per meter!

SimonB
18th February 2014, 17:16
Odd...

But anyway, a roll of 15m 3/8" is usually around 425 ex vat.

I'm going over there to buy 10 rolls tomorrow...

CapeTownBrew
18th February 2014, 18:15
Odd...

But anyway, a roll of 15m 3/8" is usually around 425 ex vat.

I'm going over there to buy 10 rolls tomorrow...

SimonB, I seem to remember seeing in one of the Threads that you are in Table View? Any chance you can make it 11 and I will EFT and collect from you? I am in Parklands.:o

SimonB
19th February 2014, 12:25
SimonB, I seem to remember seeing in one of the Threads that you are in Table View? Any chance you can make it 11 and I will EFT and collect from you? I am in Parklands.:o

Apologies, I never saw this. When I go again I'll pick a roll up for you.

CapeTownBrew
19th February 2014, 12:29
Apologies, I never saw this. When I go again I'll pick a roll up for you.

No worries, Thanks!

SimonB
28th February 2014, 11:41
Brett. I popped in to get the copper for your chiller today. You're right, metraclark don't sell to the public. They don't consider me to be a member of the public ;)

CapeTownBrew
28th February 2014, 11:58
Brett. I popped in to get the copper for your chiller today. You're right, metraclark don't sell to the public. They don't consider me to be a member of the public ;)
It's not what you know, it's who you know! Or what you know about who!

CapeTownBrew
28th February 2014, 20:48
Wow! That will be a monster!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

SimonB
28th February 2014, 21:03
Am in the process of building an uber-chiller for a 75 liter boiler. 30m of copper tube :). Will post pics when done

pretorjn
13th March 2014, 07:54
Does anyone have contacts for better pricing on softdrawn copper tubing in Centurion (or Gauteng). Gascompany quoted me R64 pm for 12mm, which I think is a ridiculous price. I will contact them again today and enquire about a 15m roll price, and also try Distillique. Does places like Builders sell softdrawn copper tubing, because I can get some discount there via my dad on pensioners day :)?

At that price, I might as well buy one of Simon's monsters if it was not for the postage to Centurion.

CapeTownBrew
13th March 2014, 08:04
Does anyone have contacts for better pricing on softdrawn copper tubing in Centurion (or Gauteng). Gascompany quoted me R64 pm for 12mm, which I think is a ridiculous price. I will contact them again today and enquire about a 15m roll price, and also try Distillique. Does places like Builders sell softdrawn copper tubing, because I can get some discount there via my dad on pensioners day :)?

At that price, I might as well buy one of Simon's monsters if it was not for the postage to Centurion.

Your best bet is refrigeration companies rather than hardware stores. Apparently, some of the bigger hardware stores may keep it, but everywhere I looked in Cape Town, they looked at me like I was smoking my socks! I did see some on Distillique's website this week, but I am not sure how they are priced.

pretorjn
13th March 2014, 10:39
Just phoned MetraClark in Pretoria West
They will supply to me at just below R400 for a 15m roll, 3/8 " dia

Now I just need to find the time to drive there in office hours

pretorjn
13th March 2014, 10:51
One more question though: I am guessing 0.61mm wall thickness is OK as I am not planning on high pressure application for the exchanger

SimonB
13th March 2014, 11:18
It's fine - there isn't really any pressure as it is an open system.

pretorjn
14th March 2014, 08:22
All I can say is respect to Simon's work. It is not very easy to do such a neat coil setup

SimonB
14th March 2014, 11:10
All I can say is respect to Simon's work. It is not very easy to do such a neat coil setup

I've had enough practice. I've built enough of them

SimonB
14th March 2014, 18:23
As a matter of interest this is the chiller I made for my 5 liter batches. The one end is attached to a submersible aquarium pump which is placed in a sink full of water and blue ice bricks. The return just pumps back into the sink.

pretorjn
14th March 2014, 19:24
Wow!!!!! I can certain learn from the Jedi master of copper tube bending

pretorjn
14th March 2014, 20:13
My feeble attempt

SimonB
14th March 2014, 20:59
My feeble attempt

Feebleness has little to do with effectiveness (or looks)

A Porsche doesn't get you through Jozi traffic any faster than a Hilux does.

pretorjn
16th March 2014, 15:17
So he says! Without a pre chiller it cooled down both pots to 23 degree is 20 minutes. This is the stuff that makes us thankfull!

StevenD (Slainthe)
17th March 2014, 08:26
As a matter of interest this is the chiller I made for my 5 liter batches. The one end is attached to a submersible aquarium pump which is placed in a sink full of water and blue ice bricks. The return just pumps back into the sink.

That photo could have been taken in my kitchen as we have the exact same double sink and mixer... :cheers:

SimonB
22nd March 2014, 21:33
In between fighting small children and beer projects Brett collected his artwork.

Hope it works for you.

CapeTownBrew
22nd March 2014, 21:44
Not only the chiller, also a bottle of jalapeños saison and a bottle of stout! Very much enjoyed! Will reciprocate soon!

JohnDoe
24th April 2014, 10:57
So which copper tubing size should I actually use? 3/8" or 1/2". The 1/2" fittings I can buy at the general hardware store. Never saw any 3/8 around.

SimonB
24th April 2014, 11:31
1/2" is normal plumbers fittings. 3/8" is for industrial cooling and refrigeration. Use which ever you want, but 3/8' has more surface area per unit volume of water flowing through it - more efficient.

JohnDoe
24th April 2014, 19:11
Thanx. I'll see if I can rather get some 3\8" fittings then.

AtronSeige
24th April 2014, 21:11
Sort of off topic, but this worried me: I tried an immersion chiller last weekend. The copper chiller was plugged into the cold water tap and all went well, but it felt like I was wasting a lot of water. how much water/time does it usually take to get your wort from boiling to pitching (+-15)?

I used to put my fermenter with the very hot wort in an icebath and got it to +-15 in about 30 minutes.

Thanks

StevenD (Slainthe)
24th April 2014, 22:23
Jaco...my homemade chiller also takes about 30mins to get the boiling wort down to municipal water temperature, but I don't usually have it in an ice bath at the same time (I'm trying to change that situation to bring the time down more).

SWAMBO also thinks I'm wasting a lot of water using my chiller and now has me putting the run-off into a large basin that she then uses to water her herbs.

I measured the water usage some time ago (mentioned in the thread about building my own chiller) and I estimated the usage to be about 2L per minute...not a lot when you consider that it's only around 60L over 30mins.

pretorjn
25th April 2014, 07:41
I get 15l wort down to 24 degrees in about 10-15 minutes with my homemade chiller, with the municipal water temp being at about 18-22 depending. I do however connect the output to a hose running a sprayer in my garden. No water waste
;)

Remember: the bigger your delta T between wort temp and chiller water temp the faster the wort temp will drop, thus the last 5 degree will take considerably longer. I am considering something Simon did by using a fountain pump and chilling the water that is fed through the chiller to get it even colder in the same time. Or just using a prechiller with municipal water.

SimonB
25th April 2014, 09:31
I just run my immersion chiller water into the pool.

pretorjn
25th April 2014, 09:48
Even better idea Simon

StevenD (Slainthe)
25th April 2014, 09:59
I just run my immersion chiller water into the pool.

Mmmmm....never thought of that. Oh wait, I don't have a pool.... :lol:

I could run it into my rainwater tank but it is still quite full. During next summer I'll do that though.

ljm109
28th August 2014, 22:38
Hi sim

What fittings do you guys put on the inlet and outlets to fit the hose connections?
And more importantly.. where do get them?

SimonB
29th August 2014, 09:26
Currently I use 10mm-15mm compression fittings (available form decent plumbers) but I will be changing over to proper soldered on brass fittings, using 1/2"-3/8" reducing bushes, available from refrigeration companies, but these also require a special tool which costs about a grand

ljm109
29th August 2014, 19:58
Thanks Simon.

So mine's not finished yet, have to get those fittings still, but I thought I'd upload a pic in the mean time.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/29/d8c6224265f65d2a41bbbf38f2942349.jpg

I went with the ribcage option. Dead easy just followed the instruction at;
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-interwoven-rib-cage-immersion-chiller-106415/index17.html

Cheers

SimonB
29th August 2014, 23:40
Nice work but personally I'd have split the input and outputs into two, one for each coil. It will be a lot more efficient.

ljm109
31st August 2014, 19:28
Could be, but at least this way though a noob like me can be sure about not having leaks anywhere

SimonB
27th March 2015, 09:29
I have scope to build about 3 of my normal chillers but made from offcuts, which I can't sell through the normal channels (You can see the coils in the first image are the offcuts.. thanks Al for the photos).

The price will be R700 (normally R1200-odd), and I need 3 weeks leadtime.

If you are interested, please let me know (available in CPT only)

that guy al
27th March 2015, 13:50
for what it's worth, anyone who knows simons work will tell you that these things are beautifully made and work really well. the fact that these are made from "off cuts" in no way detracts from that at all.

if you need a chiller, take advantage of this offer, seriously.

CapeTownBrew
27th March 2015, 14:06
definitely +1 on that! :thumbsup:

Bosvark
21st July 2015, 07:20
So im working on my chiller design, problem that i have is the element is about 80cm from the bottom, lowest i could get it in the keg.
I am playing around with the hybrid chiller that palmer has in his book, but i changed it a bit.

Also thinking of adding a 50mm pipe in the middle to help the water flow.

Any suggestions?

Bosvark
21st July 2015, 07:22
Also the copper coil is 15m 3/8". So the pipe should be about 600mm long.

jakeslouw
22nd July 2015, 07:43
What are you going to use as an outer housing?

Bosvark
22nd July 2015, 07:59
Its 110mm pvc pipe.
The cooling water will circulate through, so it works like a cfc.

kingcur
22nd July 2015, 08:50
Having the water in and outlet on the same side doesn't look like a good idea. It might not flush the all the warm water from the back of the chiller.

You might also want to put a spacer between the coil and the side of the pipe.

jakeslouw
22nd July 2015, 09:27
Simon is correct. Make it a flow-through from left to right in the pic, and maybe add a baffle plate in front of the inlet to force the dispersion.

Bosvark
22nd July 2015, 09:55
Ok i see what you mean, adding a 50mm pvc pipe in die middle straight infront of the inlet and running all the way to the back end.

Bosvark
23rd July 2015, 07:41
Think im gonna scrap this idea and build a cfc.
Seems that the general consensus is a 25' (7.5m) cfc is long enough an anything longer than that doesn't contribute very much to efficiency.
Can anyone confirm this?

SimonB
23rd July 2015, 15:57
I'm just bumping this up for anyone who is interested.

I've been overseas, so have a backlog but if you ply me with decent homebrew I can accelerate the manufacture of one or two?

I have scope to build about 3 of my normal chillers but made from offcuts, which I can't sell through the normal channels (You can see the coils in the first image are the offcuts.. thanks Al for the photos).

The price will be R700 (normally R1200-odd), and I need 3 weeks leadtime.

If you are interested, please let me know (available in CPT only)

Bosvark
25th July 2015, 14:27
Just some feedback:
So I built a counterflow chiller today. I used 7.5m of copper coil with 3/4 clear pvc tube, i also soldered copper wire around the copper tube.
On the test I did, it got 95deg water down to 22deg in one go, the water was gravity fed through, so basically siphoned through the chiller.
The cooling water was 19deg, from my borehole.

My chiller is based on this one:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DVf-lTFpR2c

Just wondering how it will perform with the higher gravity of wort, i have some coil leftover for a prechiller for the cooling water.

The Apprentice
13th August 2015, 18:40
Hi All,

How do you coil your tube without kinks? I wasted a 15m roll (@ R 725) trying. Thinking of using advice from youtube by filling the tube with salt first.

Any help?

that guy al
13th August 2015, 19:04
Hi All,

How do you coil your tube without kinks? I wasted a 15m roll (@ R 725) trying. Thinking of using advice from youtube by filling the tube with salt first.

Any help?

i had the same problem which is why i just ended up buying one from simon.

SimonB
13th August 2015, 19:18
Hi All,

Any help?

Is that 1/2" or 3/8"? At that price I'm assuming 1/2"

What are you coiling it around?

It takes me about 5 minutes to roll a coil up. If you're developing kinks you're doing it too fast, and using too much pressure. Or your coil diameter far too small.

With care you can roll a 3/8" coil to 10cm diameter.

ljm109
13th August 2015, 19:19
I got one of these spring pipe benders.... was like R50 and it did the job

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/13/ba3487a29845e104fc165c2108c3817a.jpg

medic
13th August 2015, 19:20
I was actually just reading today on Homebrewtalk.com about building a counterflow chiller and the advice the one guy gave was to crimp the one side of the pipe closed, fill with water and crimp the other side closed.

The Apprentice
13th August 2015, 19:59
Hi Simon,

Yes, it is (was) 1/2". I used a 5l paint can. A pity you are in the Cape, otherwise I would have requested a "lesson" in pipe coiling.

What did you use to connect the pieces of the off-cuts you used for that one chiller? Normal 15mm plumbing connections or did you use refrigeration ones? I am thinking of salvaging some of the tubing by cutting out the kinks and or where it pinched close.

Hi ljm109,

Where did you buy those spring pipe benders...?

The Apprentice
20th August 2015, 17:38
Hi Guys,

I sorted this out myself. With time comes wisdom....

JohnDoe
20th August 2015, 19:17
Just some feedback:
So I built a counterflow chiller today. I used 7.5m of copper coil with 3/4 clear pvc tube, i also soldered copper wire around the copper tube.
On the test I did, it got 95deg water down to 22deg in one go, the water was gravity fed through, so basically siphoned through the chiller.

Just wondering how it will perform with the higher gravity of wort, i have some coil leftover for a prechiller for the cooling water.

Just a question. How do you sanitize the chiller? Are there any chance of wort residue staying inside the copper tubing even after rinsing?

that guy al
20th August 2015, 20:15
Are there any chance of wort residue staying inside the copper tubing even after rinsing?

there's always a chance which is why i'm fairly suspicious of them.

SimonB
20th August 2015, 21:17
there's always a chance which is why i'm fairly suspicious of them.

CF and plate chillers are always more prone to sanitary issues. Just the nature of the beast. And the main reason I won't recommend them for sub-50l brews

kingcur
20th August 2015, 21:48
I'm not sure what the chances are. I keep a sanitizer solution in mine when it is not being used. Before using it I flush it out and fill it with fresh sanitizer.

After a couple of uses it would be a good idea to give it a hot PBW soak or something similar.

ljm109
20th August 2015, 22:33
Hi ljm109,

Where did you buy those spring pipe benders...?

Got one and my copper coil from Premium Air conditioning in Silverton

JohnDoe
20th August 2015, 23:04
Tomorrow I'll upload some pics of my cfc. I used copper tubing inside of a 1” pipe. The ends are open and I can clean my system thoroughly with a semi hard plastic brush(9mm pistol barrel brush) that I fixed on a rod.

AtronSeige
21st August 2015, 08:54
Are there any chance of wort residue staying inside the copper tubing even after rinsing?

Yes, there is a chance, that is why you should hot flush the moment you finish using the item.

Also: Apparently copper sanitizes itself. I am not sure about the magic, but I was told that copper will kill bacteria in a few hours... Strange but true.

JohnDoe
21st August 2015, 15:27
928this my current setup

JIGSAW
23rd August 2015, 16:32
^ Nice :cheers:

Matt54
24th August 2015, 14:14
Hi Guys,

I sorted this out myself. With time comes wisdom....

Would you mind sharing that wisdom?

The Apprentice
17th September 2015, 13:23
Hi Matt54,

Will not mind at all. You can send me a pm with your questions and I will answer as best I can.

Harhm
18th September 2015, 14:58
928this my current setup

Great stuff :thumbsup:
I build a similar type cfc but much shorter than yours, also 8 pipes (copper) but the pipes are only 1 meter long.953

LiquidBread
1st September 2020, 18:54
Just some feedback:

858Where did you get the copper coil. I want to build an immersion chiller.

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk

Beachless
1st September 2020, 19:55
Try the places that sell wholesale to the gas and aircon industry.

LiquidBread
1st September 2020, 21:59
Try the places that sell wholesale to the gas and aircon industry.Ok that's a start

Rikusj
1st September 2020, 22:44
I recently bought a roll 3/8 copper tube for my chiller from Eurocool in Paarden Island - https://eurocool.co.za/contact-us-cape-town/

edit: PS - it's worth spending the extra R50 to buy the bending spring... makes the whole thing a LOT less scary!!

LiquidBread
1st September 2020, 22:52
I recently bought a roll 3/8 copper tube for my chiller from Eurocool in Paarden Island - https://eurocool.co.za/contact-us-cape-town/

edit: PS - it's worth spending the extra R50 to buy the bending spring... makes the whole thing a LOT less scary!!What was the price per metre?

Toxxyc
2nd September 2020, 07:47
3/8" is a bit small though, innit?

EDIT: Oh no sorry, it's the 9mm one. That's a better size. I want a few meters of that size, actually. To build a proper cooling coil for my still.

CaPunT
2nd September 2020, 08:56

edit: PS - it's worth spending the extra R50 to buy the bending spring... makes the whole thing a LOT less scary!!

Mind saying how much it was? also, how long was/is it?

SamlL
2nd September 2020, 08:56
Where did you get the copper coil. I want to build an immersion chiller.

i got a 15m coil 3/8" copper tube from Kovco in Paarden eiland, think it was about R400 IIRC

Rikusj
2nd September 2020, 10:40
I paid around R450 I think for a 15m roll. They only sell by the roll as far as I'm aware... Haven't found any place that sells per linear meter.

Toxxyc
2nd September 2020, 10:50
Lots of places used to sell by the meter. Stopped now though.

JIGSAW
2nd September 2020, 11:04
Lots of places used to sell by the meter. Stopped now though.

Not here in Cape ... for the past 8yrs+ no refrigeration place sold soft drawn tube per meter. They get them in 15M rolls and re-sell as is. ... from what i could figure out when phoning on prices.

Toxxyc
2nd September 2020, 11:56
Yep. They're worried about selling per meter and then sitting with a meter or two of stock they can't use. I'd LOVE a 3 or 4m length of 3/8" or even 1/2" tube. Want to make a nice coil, because I've got the 6mm one now and it's just too thin. Bends super easy to it's impossible to maintain a good coil with a good downward slope.

LiquidBread
2nd September 2020, 16:52
Yep. They're worried about selling per meter and then sitting with a meter or two of stock they can't use. I'd LOVE a 3 or 4m length of 3/8" or even 1/2" tube. Want to make a nice coil, because I've got the 6mm one now and it's just too thin. Bends super easy to it's impossible to maintain a good coil with a good downward slope.Find someone who won't need the whole 15m and split costs.

LiquidBread
2nd September 2020, 16:54
i got a 15m coil 3/8" copper tube from Kovco in Paarden eiland, think it was about R400 IIRCPlease post your progress with lots of pics

LiquidBread
2nd September 2020, 16:56
Yep. They're worried about selling per meter and then sitting with a meter or two of stock they can't use. I'd LOVE a 3 or 4m length of 3/8" or even 1/2" tube. Want to make a nice coil, because I've got the 6mm one now and it's just too thin. Bends super easy to it's impossible to maintain a good coil with a good downward slope.Check this out or find someone to split the costs https://diyshop.co.za/products/copper-tube-pipe-soft-type?variant=32647447511117

SamlL
2nd September 2020, 18:37
Chiller next to 46l pot
Couple to hosepipe, pump water from jojo tank and return to tank. water from jojo is ice cold so chills 27l from boil to 20deg in about 18min(i timed it):thumbsup:

Rikusj
2nd September 2020, 21:08
Lots of good info here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/diy-interwoven-rib-cage-immersion-chiller.106415/

Built my chiller using that method and it works great!!

LiquidBread
3rd September 2020, 16:32
Lots of good info here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/diy-interwoven-rib-cage-immersion-chiller.106415/

Built my chiller using that method and it works great!!Pics, if you don't mind?

Did you use 3/8" or 1/2"?

How meters etc.

smitty
3rd September 2020, 19:58
My very first piece of home brew kit that I built:

7.5m of 3/8" copper tube.

Plug it into the hose pipe and it'll cool down a 15L batch of boiling wort down to 23C in a little under half an hour using ground water.

The clear tubing helps to make less of a mess and run the ground water back to garden. And to aid a future upgrade. ;-)

LiquidBread
3rd September 2020, 21:03
My very first piece of home brew kit that I built:

7.5m of 3/8" copper tube.

Plug it into the hose pipe and it'll cool down a 15L batch of boiling wort down to 23C in a little under half an hour using ground water.

The clear tubing helps to make less of a mess and run the ground water back to garden. And to aid a future upgrade. ;-)This looks great.

Rikusj
3rd September 2020, 21:17
You can see a couple of pictures of my build here - https://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthread.php?2659-Basterfield-Urn-Conversion

I used a whole 15m roll of 3/8" copper.