Ale fermentation chamber build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ale fermentation chamber build

Going to build an ale fermentation chamber. The reason I call it 'ale' is that I am not expecting it to hold really low temperatures, have a old fridge/freezer for that. Going to use an old bar fridge I got from my stepdaughter (we gave it to her some years back and she doesn't need it anymore). Will post as I go along, waiting for the polystyrene, should arrive Thursday.

20131015_191041.jpg
    "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

There's nothing like a new project with gadgetry involved to get the heart racing again...

Keep us posted...with pics of course.
    Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Measure it to see if it cant be a kegorator.

Comment

Could probably take a half Corny.

Am looking out for a nice chest freezer for the next project.
        "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

Originally posted by StevenD (Slainthe) View Post
          There's nothing like a new project with gadgetry involved to get the heart racing again...

Keep us posted...with pics of course.
          For sure will keep it updated, hopefully will get the polystyrene tomorrow and I can get cracking. Love these sort of projects, the work ones are boring.

Comment

Only got the polystyrene this morning. Here's a mock up of what the insulation is going to look like.

I used 30mm 32g/l PS. I suspect that you can use lighter but I like the toughness of the 32.

20131019_111830.jpg
            20131019_111910.jpg
            20131019_111923.jpg

Comment

Looks interesting. Would love to see the finished product.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Comment

Got started in earnest today.

Breaking into the fridge wiring.
                20131020_095655.jpg

Chamber nearing completion. A well earned American Brown after power saw work finished.
                20131020_140819.jpg

Comment

Just waiting for the door glue to dry and then we can test.

20131023_170817.jpg

Control box
                  20131023_170719.jpg

Fan and heater
                  20131023_170747.jpg

May paint the exposed polystyrene with something but haven't figured out what yet.

Comment

This one shows the size, 25l carboys. They look a bit ghostly.

20131023_182907.jpg

Comment

Bryan, that is looking good!

Any chance of teaching me how to build this?

Comment

Sure, just ironing out a few little things and then we will take a look at a design. Have you got a fridge to use?

Assume you would want yours to be free standing, or not?

Comment

Jaco, was just thinking about this, I have heard you say before that you were never taught how to use tools etc.

It is a medium difficulty project if you have some skills, if you have none it is crazy to try (I am not being unkind). I would have to build it at my place because of the tool situation and it is many hours of work, especially if it is going to be free standing.

My suggestion would be to look out for a decent size chest freezer, I will then make you a collar and wire it up for you.

Comment

So basically finished, few minor things I want to do to protect the polystyrene, but good enough for today's porter.

20131026_065641.jpg

20131026_065732.jpg

Comment

It can get down to around 10 degrees and I'm sure even lower, but I wouldn't run it for long periods at that temperature because it will work the little compressor too hard. It's ideal for your 18/19 degrees ale fermentation.

Yesterday's porter into the chamber.

20131026_112722.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X