Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle Drying Tree

Hi Guys...

As an alternative to buying one of these plastic bottle trees, I thought of making one from a post of wood with angled dowels on which to hang the bottles.

Would this be a good alternative, or could I pick up issues with infection in the bottles due to the absorbency properties of the wood?

botle tree.JPG
    Slainte Mhaith!!

Steven, wood is a no no, don't even use a wooden spoon.

I use these plastic crates you buy at Makro for R100. Hold 30 bottles.

20131021_173416.jpg
    "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

Bottle Drying Tree

Bryan

There would be a large number of top quality chefs that would counter your wood arguments.

Wood contains natural antibiotics which prevent bacterial infection (within the limits of normal hygiene).

That being said I'd not be inclined to use wood for anything beer related.

Stephen. If you wish I can build a copper dryer for you. Perhaps with a built in rinser.
      Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

So in other words, you agree.
        "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
          So in other words, you agree.
          Pretty much. But it's not based on sound reasoning

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
            Pretty much. But it's not based on sound reasoning
            But I didn't give any reasoning. Here's a few:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter1-1.html

http://books.google.co.za/books?id=y...rewing&f=false

http://craftbeeracademy.com/basic-st...ewing-at-home/

I'm not taking the chance.

Comment

I had that feeling that wood may not be good in this case, but thought it best to check with you guys first...thanks.

Simon...I'll take a raincheck on the dryer/rinser for now, thanks, but as a matter of interest, you could PM me some details of the copper version (pics would be good if you have them, and a cost) or post them here if it's not a "state secret"

I still have to make the investment of getting some bottles, but I might just go for one of those plastic crates Bryan mentioned at the same time.
              Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

I use our dishwasher to sanitise my bottles. I generally only bottle about 19-20 liters at a time. I can pretty much get all the bottles into the botton rack. I remove the rack & use that as a bottle drier. If I get my timing right & pack the dishwasher before the wife can put dishes in, I start it in the morning & by the time I get home, the bottles are sanitsed, cool & dry.
                Just Bottled: Vrystaat Spyker-Pumpkin Ale
                Just Bottled: Arse Ale - Experimental Light Ale
                Just Bottled: 5 Alarm - 6,4% Ginger Beer
                Fermenter1: Saison Des Bouvier-Saison
                Fermenter2: Shorten Stout - Milk Stout

Comment

With the dishwashers only spraying fine jets of water, can it be certain that these jets are reaching all the way into the bottles?

In all honesty, I'm a little sceptical about the use of the dishwasher for this type of intense cleaning requirement.
                  Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

I won't use the dishwasher for the reason mentioned by Steven. Is the dishwasher dispensing rinse aid, wouldn't like that in my bottles? Assume you are not putting in detergent.

Comment

Bottle Drying Tree

The dishwasher should only be used as a sanitizer. Not a cleaner. This is a well established fact. A LOT of people on homebrewtalk sanitize their bottles this way

It is the steam during the drying cycle that does all the work

Comment

From John Palmer "Dishwashers can be used to sanitize, as opposed to sterilize, most of your brewing equipment, you just need to be careful that you don't warp any plastic items. The steam from the drying cycle will effectively sanitize all surfaces. Bottles and other equipment with narrow openings should be pre-cleaned. Run the equipment through the full wash cycle without using any detergent or rinse agent. Dishwasher Rinse Agents will destroy the head retention on your glassware. If you pour a beer with carbonation and no head, this might be the cause."

How do you run the cycle with no rinse aid? On ours you can't turn it off.

Comment

'Rinse aid' sometimes comes as part of the detergent in dishwashers, especially those little block soaps that you are supposed to just throw into the machine. I think it has something to do with keeping the foaming effect of the detergent down.
                          StevenD (Slainthe)
                          Last edited by StevenD (Slainthe); 26 October 2013, 11:32.
                          Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Ah yes I remember we tried those on a previous machine. For whatever reason we now use the rinse aid dispenser.

Comment

Working...
                            X