Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mash Tun.

Hello Everyone,

We are very new to brewing, have done an extract beer (a lager), have another extract beer currently in the fermenter (american pale ale) but we are wanting to move onto an all grain brew asap.

I have been doing some research on mash tuns and have come across the coolerbox style. Is this the correct way to go for a beginner mash tun?

On a final note is there anything that I need to be particularly cautious of for our first attempt at an AG beer?

Thank you
    Alex

I used this guide:
    http://craftbru.co.za/how-to/build-a.../#.UqDigesaySM

This one is apparently also good:
    http://www.diybeer.co.za/beer-how-to...n-brewing.html

Regarding your first time, I'd suggest picking a low gravity beer, just to get used to the mashing process without worrying whether you'll have enough space for all that grain in your mash tun. That, and stir like a crazy person, it helps

Comment

You don't have to go the Mash Tun route. You could go Beer-in-a-Bag, which is the method some of us (including me) use.

The main disadvantage of a cooler mash tun is it is quite difficult to do a step mash, although that is not something beginners will attempt anyway.
      Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
        You don't have to go the Mash Tun route. You could go Beer-in-a-Bag, which is the method some of us (including me) use.

I haven't done any other brewing method yet, and it works for me. It's easy and fun, if a little labour-intensive but the end product is well worth it. I only wish I had this much satisfaction in my daily job.

I just bottled an Amber Ale yesterday, which is probably my sixth brew, and I am more pleased with the results each time I brew.
        Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Thanks guys,

I have bought the equipment and made my own mash tun, a lot of fun and really easy actually (guess I am just used to fiddling though). Having it ready is making me froth at the mouth in anticipation, cannot wait to try it out, crossing fingers!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander View Post
            Thanks guys,

I have bought the equipment and made my own mash tun, a lot of fun and really easy actually (guess I am just used to fiddling though). Having it ready is making me froth at the mouth in anticipation, cannot wait to try it out, crossing fingers!!.
            Nice! I would suggest buying a large spoon to get your stir on with.

Shout if you want any other tips.

Comment

Setting the scene: Sunday Morning, just past 8. The kittens are making a raucous because that is what kittens do. SHMBO (as Steven calls HER) is still semi-asleep. It is a great day outside and you are excited, because you have already allocated the day as Gaming Day! XBOX and Beer all day! And then it hits you... Why not start the All-Grain process today?

So, Xbox moved aside (but the beer currently within reach), I am starting the next step/giant leap in home brewing.

Have a great day Home brewers!
              Last edited by Guest; 22 December 2013, 09:27. Reason: Not going to document... too lazy today

Comment

One of us, one of us

Welcome to world of sparges, grain bills and efficiency headaches. And a world of infinite possibilities!

Comment

I am hunting around to see what cooler boxes are available and Makro has a special on Camp Master Cooler/Heater 24 liter elextro thermal box. (http://www.campmaster.co.za/product.htm?productID=468)

I can see many benefits, like keeping the mash at the required temp as well as cooling the wort at the end of the boil. [I will not boil my wort in the cooler]. But these systems obviously have wires and other things running inside the walls. Has anyone ever converted one of these and is the worth it?

The cooler costs R599 on the current special.

Any assistance is appreciated. I will be going shopping in a few minutes.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
                    I am hunting around to see what cooler boxes are available and Makro has a special on Camp Master Cooler/Heater 24 liter elextro thermal box. (http://www.campmaster.co.za/product.htm?productID=468)

I can see many benefits, like keeping the mash at the required temp as well as cooling the wort at the end of the boil. [I will not boil my wort in the cooler]. But these systems obviously have wires and other things running inside the walls. Has anyone ever converted one of these and is the worth it?

The cooler costs R599 on the current special.

Any assistance is appreciated. I will be going shopping in a few minutes.

Cheers
                    Look at Checkers, I got my 28L one there for about R130.
                    I haven't seen a mash tun that uses an electric cooler, so can't comment, but mine loses 1 degree in 1 hour, which is fine for me.

Edit: I'd also be scared of cutting into that high-tech one
                    MongooseMan
                    Last edited by MongooseMan; 22 December 2013, 11:16.

Comment

The camp master cooler will not be able to cool the wort quickly enough (certainly nowhere near as quick as a chiller). So from that point of view it's a waste of money IMO.

I'm not sure they get as high as mash temperatures require but anything higher than ambient is better than nothing I guess.
                      Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Working...
                      X