Did my 3rd extract .... a wheat beer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did my 3rd extract .... a wheat beer.

So i did a little wheat beer extract today .
    Added some coriander,black pepper and orange zest ! (flippen hard to find oranges this time of year)

I think its going to be a leka little beer smells good and is all foamy on the top which i havnt had from my previous ones.
    Didnt use the yeast from the kit but i was given some special yeast for this brew.

Now its waiting time

Wheat beers have a lot more protein so they foam a LOT more. My first fermenter explosion was on a wheat! My bubbler got blocked and the lid blew off, covering everything in the fridge with kreuzen. This happened 3 more times with that one beer! I have NEVER cleaned a fridge so many times! Tanja was laughing her ass off, because I had a sparkly clean and sanitized fridge every night at 8 (I would start cleaning at 6).

Are you trying to mimic a specific witbier, or are you just playing?

Where do you get your recipes?

Cheers!

Comment

I have made several witbiers and not had too many issues with foaming.

I have a black wit that turned out very nicely
      Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

This is an exctract kit from Brewcraft .
        2 cans of malt and a few other little goodies recommended by Justin there .

I see that over night the Krauzen got into the bubbler pipe but not blocked still bubbling nicely this morning .
        Seems the foam has retreated a bit and isnt that high anymore .
        Has made the carboy dirty though and that thing is a mission to clean with a bottle brush .

So lets see how it goes i cant say im trying to mimic a specific beer i just wanted something wheaty.

Comment

For cleaning the carboy, I recommend soaking it in warm soapy water for a while (enough to cover the krausen to loosen it up a bit), then draining most of the water out, cramming a rough cloth into the neck of the carboy and swirling it vigorously while holding the neck closed with one hand. It's a bit of PT, but it works.

Gonna be a bit more difficult to clean the bubbler though. Do you have a very soft, narrow, bottle brush?
          Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

No i dont but the pipe is cheap enough if i cant clean it ill replace it i spose .
            Not sure if u could get a bottle brush longer than 1m ? and to fit into about 8mm id of pipe ?
            The other end of my bubbler is a koo apple sauce jar so that will be easy to clean .

Comment

Hmmmmm.....I don't think you would get one that long, but like you say, that pipe is cheap enough to replace.
              Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Well it was my first attempt at a bubbler .
                I dont think you really need 1m of pipe but i wasnt sure where i was going to put it once brewing so i left it nice and long .
                Im sure i could use half of it and still be fine

Comment

But thanks for the idea on the carboy cleaning though .
                  Im sure it will work leka .
                  If i ever see a decent brush with a steel handle that i could extend ill get one .
                  The problem is u have to bend it to get to just under the neck of the carboy then it doesnt clean the bottom so nice .
                  Rough cloth might be the best idea actually .

Comment

Working...
                  X