Mashtun temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mashtun temp

I realized that my mashtun (a converted coolerbox) tends to loose temp quicker than I am happy with.

On my last brew the temp after mash-in was 68C and in 35 minutes it was 65C.

My main concern is that we are doing a 2 hour mash for the next brew and I do not want to top up too much, or let it cool too far and get gelatinization.

Should I get worried and do a top up, or should I just leave it. Should I maybe start decoction?

Any help will be appreciated.

There are few things you can do to try maintain temperature:
    1. Preheat the tun by pouring a kettle of boiling water in there whilst heating your mash wash. Chuck it out just before mashing in.
    2. Cover the lid in tin foil.
    3. Wrap the whole tun in a blanket.
    4. Try not to open the lid for the duration of the mash, if possible.

Between these, I've found I lose about 2 degrees in 60 minutes, or 3 in 90.

Comment

Mashtun temp

This is the reason why I have not followed the cooler box approach and prefer a direct fired mash tun (cheapest) or RIMS/HERMES (more expensive)
      Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by MongooseMan View Post
        1. Preheat the tun by pouring a kettle of boiling water in there whilst heating your mash wash. Chuck it out just before mashing in.
        I added my water at 80C and waited until it cooled to 72.5 which is mash-in temp. I did not throw the water out, just added the grain

2. Cover the lid in tin foil.
        Cool idea! I will do that!

3. Wrap the whole tun in a blanket.
        I covered the top with a blanket. Next time I will go overboard and cover it with a space blanket AND a normal blanket!

4. Try not to open the lid for the duration of the mash, if possible.
        I only opened the list to add mash. The thermometers are on long wires, so I am lucky that way.

Thanks for all the info. If I can get to 2 degrees then I will be very happy. I will let you know how it went next week.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X