Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keg

Good day Brewsters!!

I have acquired some corny kegs, and now need some advice regarding the setup procedure please.

With regards to the Co2, can you use a normal fire extinguisher bottle (2kg, the ones you find at builders warehouse for about R460)?

Is the gas that's supplied in that bottle safe to use, or should I get it re-filled?

Then with the regulator, is the one from Thebeerkeg sufficient? (http://www.thebeerkeg.co.za/catalog/...-fitting.html#), will that fit a standard Fire extinguisher bottle?

Any and all info will be helpful and appreciated.

Hi Hendrew,

I am going through the same process at the moment. I did get the 2kg Extinguisher from builders. From what I have read, you don't need to change the gas. I got my regulator from BevTec in Killarney Gardens - a Taprite, paid less than R900 for it. My only issue is connecting the gas line to the regulator. The regulator has a threaded connection on that I am battling to find a barbed connector for.
    Did you get ball lock or pin lock?
    bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
    Secondary: Apple & Cranberry Wine, Strawberry Wine, Mead,
    Conditioning:
    Bottled/Kegged: Black Ale/BIPA (SYSF)
    Next Up:​ ?Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout?

Comment

Hi CapeTownBrew

I got a ball lock keg, I'm also a bit lost as how to connect the regulator(The one from TheBeerkeg) to the gas line. Don't know if its just a normal "plug and play" procedure or if any other pieces is required to make it work.

I will have a look at the one from BevTec, and will post info if I find some with regards to the gas line connection.

Comment

OK, so I did what I should have done ages ago and spoke to BevTec, Sedick is the guy to chat to. They have tubing, clamps, taps and fittings for the regulator.
        bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
        Conditioning:

Comment

Talk to Bevan from Draughtcraft.co.za.
          He is in pta but he knows everything about the gas bottles. Most of the homebrew shops sell his stuff

Comment

Ok, so I got the rest of the equipment needed. I will be setting it up tonight and will be doing some forced carbonation, so will see how that goes.

CapeTownBrew, I will post a picture of my regulator setup after everything is completed tonight(Hopefully)

Comment

Thanks Hendrew,

BevTec got me all I needed, I have a keg in the fridge carbing up for the weekend. Will also post pictures.
              bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
              Conditioning:

Comment

Just a note on the CO2. I bought my 2kg CO2 from Safequip in Jetpark a few years back. The guy at the CO2 filling station removed the pipe in the cylinder and fitted the screw valve. He said many people come in there to refill their cylinders for dispensing. He mentioned the reason behind it. Could not remember. Anyone heard of this practice before?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe View Post
                  Anyone heard of this practice before?
                  Are you talking about replacing the handle with a screw valve? It just makes it easier to use. I still have the handle on mine, but a screw valve would be much easier and take up less space.
                  bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
                  Conditioning:

Comment

No, taking out the little pipe inside connected to the valve. It's about 8mm in diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe View Post
                      No, taking out the little pipe inside connected to the valve. It's about 8mm in diameter.
                      No clue! How far down did it go?
                      bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
                      Conditioning:

Comment

Right down to the bottom. The CO2 now exit at the top and not from the bottom of the cylinder. Perhaps keeping out debris or a pressure issue?

Comment

It's because you want gas not the liquid into your regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewster View Post
                            It's because you want gas not the liquid into your regulator.
                            That makes sense.
                            bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
                            Conditioning:

Comment

Working...
                            X