Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Garage brewery based on The Electric Brewery

Hi All

This is a build thread for my brewery in my garage. It will be based on http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/. Modified for less expensive and local options as far as possible. I am considering one shipment from the states with light small speciality items I cant find here or can get much cheaper. I have tabled all the items I need for the initial investment. See table below. This build will happen over the next 6 - 9 months. I guess the planning part is just as much a part of the fun and enjoyment. Will update with ideas and progress as I go along.

I have seen this thread and this is really cool and close to what I want to do. http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...B-build-thread

Thanks

Area Item
    Kettles 3 x 50 l Kettles. Will use second hand Kegs
    3 x Ball Valves Weldless
    False Bottoms
    T Pieces for Temperature Probes
    Sight Glasses
    Fittings for sight glasses
    Heating Elements
    Pumps Dish Washer Pumps
    Counter Flow Chiller
    Fittings
    Hoses Sanitary Hoses
    Quick Couple Fittings
    EC&I Temperature Probes
    PID Controller
    Lights / Toggle Switches
    Control Box
    Fermenter 30l fermenters
    Freezer
    Freezer Control
    Air Lock
    Bottling Bottler
    Bottles
    Caps
    Labels
    Bottle Washer

Holy schnikeys! AFAIK you are a new brewer like me. You definitely take things to a next level for someone that is starting out (assumptions.....). Good luck and keep us updated.... With photos.

Pretty sure the gurus here will keep you in the right direction
    Cheers

Jacques

Comment

I can tell you one thing: make enough beer with each batch. Once I got treated to my own homebrew, I am not making nearly enough of my own brew for my own consumption rate, needless to say everyone else that wants to taste my creations
      Cheers

Jacques

Comment

I would personally suggest perhaps simplifying it to a cooler and one or two stainless pots for now (which you can always expand by just adding another pot) and investing money in kegging equipment. It makes the world of difference by taking out the majority of the bottling hassle. If I need to take beer out for an evening, I merely take a 2L pitcher and pour from that.
        Last edited by GregM; 8 May 2014, 20:42.
        Setup: 3x 80L SS vessle arduino temperature controlled HERMS. 1x 50L SS & 2x 20L plastic fermenter

Fermenting: IPA (mosaic, US4/78, xja2/436) -50IBU's OG- 1056
        Drinking: Belgian Blonde Strong Ale, Blonde beater sour ale, Amber Rye Candi Ale
        Next: APA (anything with lots of hops)

Comment

Thanks

I have worked in as a commissioning engineer for a the first 5 years after varsity, lots of running equipment at the right temp, pressure etc. I think i will be ok starting this way.

Originally posted by pretorjn View Post
          Holy schnikeys! AFAIK you are a new brewer like me. You definitely take things to a next level for someone that is starting out (assumptions.....). Good luck and keep us updated.... With photos.

Pretty sure the gurus here will keep you in the right direction

Comment

I got 3 kegs for not a lot so went that way. Kegging is the only part of this initial build i wont do. I do think i will get there. I can foresee as lot of the beer being gifts shared etc. so will go the bottle way.

Originally posted by GregM View Post
            I would personally suggest perhaps simplifying it to a cooler and one or two stainless pots for now (which you can always expand by just adding another pot) and investing money in kegging equipment. It makes the world of difference by taking out the majority of the bottling hassle. If I need to take beer out for an evening, I merely take a 2L pitcher and pour from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Iventer View Post
              Thanks

I have worked in as a commissioning engineer for a the first 5 years after varsity, lots of running equipment at the right temp, pressure etc. I think i will be ok starting this way.
              I admire the fact that you have the stones to throw a potentially large amount of money into a build like this, but I'd be inclined to get some brews behind you first at considerably less cost. Brewing is less about equipment and more about skillfully working with ingredients. Good equipment is more about consistency in the process.
              Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I hear what you are saying and I will consider it. If i go the brew in a BIAB way. I can start a lot sooner, and see where it takes me from there. Thanks. You mind if i copy yours Simon?
                Last edited by Iventer; 8 May 2014, 22:55.

Comment

Obviously starting earlier is better! You can get spoiled a lot faster and do the new build a lot faster
                  Cheers

Jacques

Comment

If you know this is for you, go for it. This was my first real brewing system after doing two coopers kit brews and tossing one of them down the drain.

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...ill-needs-work

Never regretted it.
                    Setup: 3x 80L SS vessle arduino temperature controlled HERMS. 1x 50L SS & 2x 20L plastic fermenter

Fermenting: IPA (mosaic, US4/78, xja2/436) -50IBU's OG- 1056
                    Drinking: Belgian Blonde Strong Ale, Blonde beater sour ale, Amber Rye Candi Ale
                    Next: APA (anything with lots of hops)

Comment

I am sure this is will be where I end up. But for 5-6 k I can get a BIAB system with temp controllers etc and then just sligtly modify when i go to 3 vessels.

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                      If you know this is for you, go for it. This was my first real brewing system after doing two coopers kit brews and tossing one of them down the drain.

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...ill-needs-work

Never regretted it.

Comment

I am sure this is will be where I end up. But for 5-6 k I can get a BIAB system with temp controllers etc and then just sligtly modify when i go to 3 vessels.
                        My BIAB system is specifically intended to be upgradable to a 3 tier system. The BIAB vessel will become the HLT in a 3 tier.
                        Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Does any one have any smart ideas for mounting the DB18B20 temp sensor inside a kettle? I have found compression fittings seems this is the best way but I think they will be expensive.

Also where can one find the silicone washers as shown in the pic of the valve? Do places like builders stock one with a high temp resistance?

Thanks1photo 3.JPGcompression-fittings_stainless-steel.jpgdrf0198-500x500-228x228.jpg

Comment

Does any one have any smart ideas for mounting the DB18B20 temp sensor inside a kettle? I have found compression fittings seems this is the best way but I think they will be expensive.
                            ...[ATTACH=CONFIG]385[/ATTACH]
                            What temp is the sensor cabling rated for? Are you sure it's not gonna leach nasties into your water/wort?

Comment

Originally posted by MongooseMan View Post
                              What temp is the sensor cabling rated for? Are you sure it's not gonna leach nasties into your water/wort?
                              Rated to 125. lots of brewery guys use them.

Comment

Working...
                              X