Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper geyser "donkie"

Gents

My dad gave me a copper geyser " warm water donkie" tonight. I will post a pic tomorrow. It is about 100L and was used when he was growing up. The thing is over 50 years old.

I am interested in converting this thing into a boiling kettle. I would need to give it a good scrub as it has been standing in a shed for almost 15 years. Is there anything I should look out for before using it? At the moment I only brew 15L - 25L batches. I read on some websites that not boiling to full capacity can be a problem as the condensation running back into the worth can infect the wort? Is this true?

How extreme should I clean this thing? Was thinking of using a high pressure hose and steel wool to clean it up?

My idea is to convert it into a boiling kettle.

Cheers

Don't convert it to a kettle, convert it into a mampoer still and make some moonshine/whiskey!

My late grandpa had a mampoer still he made out of an old copper electrical geyzer. I still have a bottle of his naartjie brand. The thing "mysteriously" disappeared when he moved to Pretoria after retiring...

I have never heard of condensation infecting boiling wort. Everything is boiling, so there might slip some nasties in, but it's going to be promptly sterilized by the boil. You can empty a packet of yeast in your boiling wort and if you leave it boiling for long enough all the yeast would be killed and you'll be fine. Same goes for any other nasties.

If you want to make a boil kettle, I think copper would make a very very good looking one. Especially if it's nicely polished with some good handles and other attachments rivited on!
    Everybody (especially the yanks) is very scared of using anything but stainless steel and glass when making beer. Copper was used as boil kettles back in the day anyway I think. You just have to be more careful with cleaning. I think avoid steelwool/goldi locks and use only a plastic skropborsel or similar. Copper is quite soft and can scratch/mar easily. Also the type of sanitizer or other chemical you use might react with copper, so test on the outside first!

Keep us posted!
    For things I'm selling:
    - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
    - I am located in Pretoria East
    - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

Comment

Working...
    X