Big sediment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big sediment

My brew buddy and I have recently started doing full mash brews, with very rudimentary equipment. By rudimentary, i mean a 17l ss pot for mashing, a decent sized piece of muslim cloth to sparge with and the boil goes back into the 17l pot.
    Despite this, we have made 2 really great beers, even if the first one is a bit too hoppy.
    However we get this BIG sediment in the fermenter( up to the 2 or 3l mark) which is clearly fine particles of grain from the mash.
    Our next step is to acquire some decent sparging equipment so we can eliminate this big sediment.
    I have considered a bucket in a bucket system ( the inner bucket drilled with smallish holes in the bottom) with a washing machine pump so that we actually use the grains as a filter.( this should also improve brewhouse effeciency)

Will this work?

Does anybody have some other suggestions??? ( Unfortunately price is a consideration here)
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you the next best thing, BEER

2l isn't all that bad... It's about what I get. Do you do any filtration before it goes in the fermenter?
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

No filtration. So you reckon this big sediment is normal? I am worried about it adding tannin flavours to the finished product!!
      Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you the next best thing, BEER

Comment

Same problem ... with my last brew I poured the first runnings out of my mash tun back in to filter it through the grain bed (get rid of the really fine stuff that can cause chill haze), next step is to install a pump to create a whirlpool while cooling the wort- this should drive all the sediment to the middle of my pot.
        Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Working...
        X