Fermenter insulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenter insulator

With the winter in full force in gauteng, I am trying to devise a plan to keep my fermenter at a constant temp.

So I found an old polystyrene box I wanted to use as a disposable cooler box. Now I have other plans for it.

Sheets of polystyrene were very expensive, the prices I got anyway.

My coppertun fits perfecyty in the box. I've recorded the temperature in the box over a day or two.

I will add a heat source with a small fan. I will do a recording of the temperature again and see if I can get it a constant 20 DegC or so. I also plan to measure the water temperature to see the difference. Here is a pic of the setup.

Wow....looks great. I wish I had a box like that cos I'm sitting with the same problem right now (I posted an entry on my blog about it).

Keep us posted...
    Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Originally posted by StevenD (Slainthe) View Post
      Wow....looks great. I wish I had a box like that cos I'm sitting with the same problem right now (I posted an entry on my blog about it).

Keep us posted...
      BG were selling some, iirc

Comment

What were you planning on using as a heat source? I was considering something similar. I figured out that between 100W and 200W would work nicely - raise the temp of 20l in a reasonable time and also not be too hot (don't want to melt the plastic or insulation) . I have tried to find some of the wire used for underfloor heating as I thought this would give a reasonable heat distribution throughout the insulated box but I haven't found a source for this stuff yet. From what I can gather it's rated at about 13W/m so around 10m should do the trick. My plan is to regulate the temperature by controlling the power (On/Off) to the heater by using an Arduino microprocessor. That way I could trend the temp too to see how well it works.

Comment

I have seen online, some guys use a light bulb in a paint can with holes in it.
          bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
          Secondary: Apple & Cranberry Wine, Strawberry Wine, Mead,
          Conditioning:
          Bottled/Kegged: Black Ale/BIPA (SYSF)
          Next Up:​ ?Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout?

Comment

Ja in the "olden days" when light bulbs were incandescent a 100W bulb could be used but in the modern era you can't even buy an incandescent blub anymore - I think Eishkom has made them illegal.....

Comment

Fermenter insulator

A 100w bulb is FAR too hot for a fermentation chamber, especially a temperature controlled one. I use a 15w bulb in a can in a much bigger chamber than this one and it's perfect even when the ambient temperature has been 6 degrees at night.

There's a thread where someone had constant problems with temperature being very unstable and they were using a 100w bulb
              Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I got a light holder which is tapered. Time got me before I could connect it up to a 7w cfl. I've felt the holder becomes hot to the touch and thought it would do the trick. I think a 100w would melt my polystyrene box. What effect would unnatural light have on the fermenting process?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe View Post
                  What effect would unnatural light have on the fermenting process?
                  Paint it Black. No apologies to Mick Jagger

Comment

I've been wanting to try adapting the paint can idea for use with a fish tank heater.

The basic idea is to fill a container with water or a glycol solution, pop a fish tank heater in and close it up. It's a low-tech, self-regulating heat source.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up regarding the required amount of power - guess I would have severely over-done it with 100W! A 13W CFL is much easier and cheaper to source.

What temp do you aim for in your fermentation chamber? I'm new to this and have only done a couple of brews - the first one I was a bit worried about it getting too warm but the second I was worried about it being too cold at night - stick on thermometer indicated a low of around 15 to 16 deg C. My limited understanding is that 22 - 23 deg C is the desirable temp - is this correct?

Thanks

Comment

It really depends on the yeast strain. For a rule of thumb, I suggest between 18 and 20C for ale yeast. Check the packet of yeast though. It should indicate the optimal temp range. If not, a quick web search should be able to tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Simple View Post
                          Ja in the "olden days" when light bulbs were incandescent a 100W bulb could be used but in the modern era you can't even buy an incandescent blub anymore - I think Eishkom has made them illegal.....

Who said they are illegal? http://www.makro.co.za/home-and-cate...lobes-266356EA
                          For things I'm selling:
                          - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
                          - I am located in Pretoria East
                          - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

Comment

Originally posted by getack View Post
                            I think his statement was a bit TIC

Comment

Now that I think of it, I am not sure if a cfl will last with the on & off switching.

Comment

Working...
                              X