Biab 30L keg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biab 30L keg

Hi all, so i managed to get hold of a 30L keg, whats the biggest batch i can biab in this, im thinking of 15L in die fermenter meaning about a 20L boil. Anyone else using a 30L?

Originally posted by Bosvark View Post
    Hi all, so i managed to get hold of a 30L keg, whats the biggest batch i can biab in this, im thinking of 15L in die fermenter meaning about a 20L boil. Anyone else using a 30L?
    I can't speak about BIAB (I have a mashtun), but I have a 36l pot, from which I can fill my 25l fermenter.
    It's cutting things a bit fine sometimes with boils (a 50l would obviously be better), but it works for me.

Comment

If I were you I'd keep the keg for future keg use and get at least a 50L BIAB pot.

What is the connector type on the keg?
      Primary: APA
      Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
      Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
      Next up: world domination

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
        If I were you I'd keep the keg for future keg use and get at least a 50L BIAB pot.

What is the connector type on the keg?
        Agree! General rule of thumb is 2x Fermenter volume as your Boil Kettle/Mash Tun.
        bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
        Secondary: Apple & Cranberry Wine, Strawberry Wine, Mead,
        Conditioning:
        Bottled/Kegged: Black Ale/BIPA (SYSF)
        Next Up:​ ?Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout?

Comment

I think its a windhoek keg, not sure of the coupler

Comment

You can get away with 1.5x batch size though I wouldn't try anything with a grain bill over 5kg for 20L.

I've done a few 18L batches in a 28L pot. It wasn't comfortable, but it did do the job.

Start with a 15L batch and work your way up.

Comment

Biab 30L keg

Ill stick to 15L batches, scaling the recipes down.
              I thought about getting another keg and welding them on top of each other, but I'm worried about the weld parts harboring nasties?
              Bosvark
              Last edited by Bosvark; 8 August 2014, 12:09. Reason: spelling

Comment

Ill stick to 15L batches, scaling the recipes down.
                I thought about getting another keg and welding them on top of each other, but I'm worried about the weld parts harboring nasties?
                Properly welded it wont be an issue
                Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by kingcur View Post
                  You can get away with 1.5x batch size though I wouldn't try anything with a grain bill over 5kg for 20L.

I've done a few 18L batches in a 28L pot. It wasn't comfortable, but it did do the job.

Start with a 15L batch and work your way up.
                  Also depends on your boil-off. With my 30l pot I have 4-5l boil-off because it's dimensions are not ideal. Still, used to get 30-34 450ml bottles out, so quite happy.
                  "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

Seriously where do you guys get these kegs? I would love to have kegs for a tap or 3. But they are just too damn expensive.

BTW the Windhoek keg should be a sankey coupler. And new 30L Kegs are R1000 so don't cut those things up!
                    Primary: APA
                    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                    Next up: world domination

Comment

Working...
                    X