Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrewCraft Chocolate Black Kit

Good day all.

Yesterday I went to BrewCraft in Sinoville to restock on some things to brew. I asked about a grain recipe kit similar to those from Beer Keg and they showed me one box that was for a partial mash Chocolate Black Ale. The price seemed right and I thought this might be a good chance to get into grain brewing since I want to move away from extracts.

I was unable to find any literature about this kit online but the printout that came in the box listed an ingredient that was not in the box: 150g toasted 2-row. This is no big deal, and I am not going to go back to get it as I live on the other side of town.

So I thought to myself this might be a good chance to start experimenting with grain recipes from the get go! The only problem is, I am still very green when it comes to how an ingredient will affect what I'm brewing. Thus I loaded the original recipe into Brewer's Friend and tried to match some style that they had on there. I will post the result here, please note all the ingredients marked with a * are part of the original kit. The rest are my incompetent additions

• Sugars:
      • *1.7kg amber LME (late addition)
      • *1kg Pale 2-row
      • *500g Chocolate
      • *500g Carafa III
      • 1kg rolled oats
      • 500g light DME

• Hops:
      • *30g Nelson Sauvin @ 60 min
      • *20g Motueka @ 15 min
      • *30g Motueka @ 1 min
      • *50g Motueka @ 5 days dry hop.

• *1 packet of Mangrove Jack's British Ale yeast

Basically the standard recipe with the addition of oats and DME to make up for the lost sugar from that missing toasted 2-row and to boost the ABV up a bit (BF said it was about 3.1% before, 4.9% now).

Whaddaya think? I added oats as I think I might like the creaminess it's said to produce (I am a heavy Guiness drinker). I also have dextrose on hand if you think I should add that.

If all this seems OK, then I think I'm going to half the recipe so that I can actually fit a full volume boil into my pot and if it's a cock-up that it's not a total loss in terms of ingredients.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    For things I'm selling:
    - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
    - I am located in Pretoria East
    - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

Oh my goodness I realised just now that I posted this in the wrong thread! I meant to post in the Partial mash section. If the mods could move it that would be grand...
    For things I'm selling:
    - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
    - I am located in Pretoria East
    - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

Comment

Working...
    X