Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age old question - What should I brew first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age old question - What should I brew first?

Finally got all my basic AG equipment together and am eager to get brewing.

I am just wondering what you all would suggest as a simple 'novice' recipe?
    I am thinking of an easy drinking session beer with a simple (read cheap, in case I screw up) grain and hop bill.

I'm strongly considering Edwort's Haus Pale Ale:
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-...ale-ale-31793/

I'd also like to know if Anyone has any other recipes using a similar combination of grains with perhaps something different here or there or different hop combination so I could maybe brew 2 batches and hedge my bets. Perhaps something darker and more forgiving to screwups.

Ideally I'd like to do lagers eventually, but that will have to wait till I have a freezer and sid controller.

You dont mention the style of AG you are going to do?

But just keep it simple for the first few batches.
    Single infusion mash
    low weight grain bill
    2 or 3 hop additions

A checklist is also a good idea so that you dont forget anything and can check things off as you go.
    That way you know exactly whats going on at all times.

For instance:
    Bring strike water to 70C
    lightly stir in grains
    check mash temperature is at 66C(adjust if necessary)
    leave for 30 minutes
    stir lightly, check mash temperature65C-66C(adjust if necessary)
    Leave for 30 minutes
    etc
    etc

Dont worry too much about screwing up, if you keep to the check list you will still get a tasty beer.

Comment

That Haus Pale Ale looks like a pretty decent starting recipe

But as I have brewed from extremely simple to some complex brews, I have come to the conclusion that I would recommend the AG brewer do what what we call SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hops). There are a number, in differing styles here.

I will be bottling a Saison tonight that was brewed based on these principles.

I agree with Beachless, make sure you prepare a checklist for each and every point along the way.
      Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Thanks guys. Definitely planned to work via checklist with a buddy aspiring brewer double-checking everything!

I like the SMaSH concept and am considering trying a Vienna Smash with Centennial hops if I can find.

So at this stage think Im gonna go for a weekend session - brew Vienna Smash on saturday and Edworts on Sunday and will post some results in a few weeks.

Oh and in case I cant get what I want,
        What would be an acceptable substitution for:
        Centennial hops - Cascade maybe?
        Crystal 10L malt - considering a mixture of Carapils and CaraBelge?
        s_de_BEER
        Last edited by s_de_BEER; 17 May 2013, 12:07.

Comment

Crystal 10L I'll substitute with caramel ...
          Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Carapils is not really a substitute for many malts - it adds body and aids in head retention. Personally I think Cascade is an overused hops in this country, so try something different. Amarillo is stunning (but expensive).

I'll post my Vienna Saison SMaSH recipe when I can connect to the BeerSmith Cloud
            Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

OK, after some reading I think the plan is as follows:

SMaSH Vienna and Perle.
              Haus Pale Ale with CaraBelg instead of Crystal 10.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
              X