Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Homebrew Champs 2014

Hi Guys,

Anybody planning on entering? I haven't entered any competitions yet and was thinking of entering, just a bit nervous to do so.

http://nationalhomebrew.co.za/wordpress/
    bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
    Secondary: Apple & Cranberry Wine, Strawberry Wine, Mead,
    Conditioning:
    Bottled/Kegged: Black Ale/BIPA (SYSF)
    Next Up:​ ?Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout?

I make bloody good beer - I don't need a scoresheet that says so

Naah JJ... I'm too nervous to enter competitions.
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I can highly recommend it.
      Especially if you ever plan to go commercial (but not only then).
      Just because you (and possibly your family and friends) think it's great, doesn't mean you can't improve by getting some impartial, well thought-out feedback.

Don't enter compo's for the prizes, do it for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by MongooseMan View Post
        I can highly recommend it.
        Especially if you ever plan to go commercial (but not only then).
        Just because you (and possibly your family and friends) think it's great, doesn't mean you can't improve by getting some impartial, well thought-out feedback.

Don't enter compo's for the prizes, do it for the feedback.
        Exactly the reasons I entered in the last Devil's Peak compo....feedback.

After reading the comments on the form, I tasted another of the same batch and thought, "Ok, i see what they mean", didn't necessarily agree with all the comments (I'm biased towards my own brews as we all are), but appreciated the good comments I got.

Granted, it would have been very kewl to have won the compo, but in all reality I knew I stood no chance against some of the professionals that entered their own brews.

Brett...Simon.......do it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Who knows, maybe your beers ARE that good that it will win. Unless you enter, you will never know.

I'm still deliberating whether I will enter again, because I'm not sure I want to try another specialty beer just yet, or focus on smaller "general" brews like Amber Ales, IPA's, different SMASH varieties, etc. I also want to try a Weiss...just to see.
        Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

I'll enter when my brewery is done
          Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I think I will enter I need the feedback.

Comment

I doubt whether the judges were being sarcastic or facetious when they said last time that they didn't get a single bad beer among the entrants.

Let's face it, you are not going to enter a beer if it is bad, and if you want to get feedback from BJCP judges on just how good your beer is (because it isn't bad), then enter a compo.
              Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Now here is the problem. The beer I want to enter must be drank fresh - 3 weeks old at the most. Deadline is end October and the next round is end November - the beer will be totally different a month later?
                Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Originally posted by FaanP View Post
                  Now here is the problem. The beer I want to enter must be drank fresh - 3 weeks old at the most. Deadline is end October and the next round is end November - the beer will be totally different a month later?
                  Perhaps you need to send them an email with a query around this, explain to them the reasons why the beer must only be three weeks old, and see what they come back with?

It can't hurt to ask...
                  Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Hi All

I am organizing the North Prelims. Any province without the word "cape" in it will send their beers to me.

Please contact me if you have any questions, or send your emails to the organizers of the main event.

Faan, please explain what your beer is and what makes it change profile in 3 weeks. I will discuss with the other organizers to see if we can be accommodating.

Cheers!

Comment

It is a DIPA and in three weeks the taste does change. Highly dry hopped beers does loose aroma very quickly and it will not be the same 3 weeks later.

Trust me- I made the beer before and it is different week by week.
                      Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Just to let everyone know, the Entry deadline wasa extended to 24 October and the Drop-off deadline extended to 4 November.

Comment

Thanks Atron, I saw that. I submitted my entry and delivered of my beer to the drop off point on Saturday.

Comment

Come on Brett just enter i entered my ipa and bottled this past Saturday i just want to see what other people think and not just the friends gonling down my 6th batch of brew to date

Comment

Working...
                            X