First All Grain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First All Grain

Well after a lot of planning we have finally done our first all grain beer, and an IPA at that.

A lot easier but a lot more time consuming than I originally thought.

I think the final product is going to be good. We used the following recipe from the beerlab website:

All day IPA:
    Batch size: 20 liters
    Efficiency: 70.0%

• Original Gravity: 1.060
    • Final Gravity: 1.015
    • Alcohol: 5.9%
    • Bitterness: 51.6 IBU
    • Boil duration: 60 min

Water needed

13 L @72 C for Mash-in (Mash ratio = 2.6 L of water per kg grain)
    20 L @ 76 C for Sparge (Sparge ratio = 1.5 x quantity of Mash Water)

Ingredients
    5.8 kg Pale Malt (5 kg Pale + 0.8kg pilsner)
    0.3 kg Pale Crystal Malt (20 L)
    100 g Amber Malt (Cara amber)
    Hops: 30 g Southern Passion (US 4/78) (9%) - 60 min
    Hops: 20 g Cascade (6.5%) - 15 min (before end of boil)
    Hops: 15 g Southern Passion (US 4/78) (9%) 15 min (before end of boil)
    Hops: 15 g Simcoe - 1 min (before end of boil)
    5 ml Irish moss - 15 min (before the end of the boil)
    Fermentis Safale SO5 or Bry-97 West Coast American Ale yeast

The wort came out a beautiful amber colour with an OG of 1.065

Lessons learnt:

Building and setting up equipment takes a lot of time! Estimate how long you need. Then double that. Then add 5.33 hours on top of that.
    1/2 inch soft copper pipe is not the same as 1/2 inch plumbers pipe. (Still need to sort this one out)
    Boiled wort is very very sticky if it boils over.
    Glass carbouys are the business! its lekker to check your beer fermenting. Thanks Faan.

Some questions:

By the end of the brew day we had sampled a bit too much of the coopers lager that we previously brewed and forgot to take a gravity reading. I remembered about 2 minutes after adding the yeast. Do you think this will have an impact on the SG reading?

Does spent grains make a good compost for your lawn?

Here are some pics:

Our hybrid wort chiller. I have very limited space and cant stomach the thought of hundreds of litres of water going to waste. 15m of copper pipe coiled in an old dustbin. This will then be filled with water and 2l coke bottles filled with water that have been frozen.

Mash Tun. Brew Kettle and modified Urn.

I removed the standard tap from the urn, drilled the hole bigger and replaced with a proper ball valve. The urn works wonderfully at keeping the sparge water at the correct temperature. I then connected a cheap shower hose and head for continuous sparging. This worked excellently and provided a gentle distribution of sparge water.

Sparging took about 45min.

The final product. so excited and cant wait to sample.
    Attached Files

Awesome stuff .... I recognize the carboy and the holder

I found another bung for the big carboy will get it down to ASAP !!

How did your Wort chiller perform?
    Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Couldn't get it working due to the different size copper pipes - I couldn't connect the soft copper pipe to the plumbing copper pipe and therefore to the boil kettle. bugger. Went to metraclark yesterday and bought various adaptors, still cant find anything that will work. anyone that has made a DIY chiller have any suggestions?

Comment

First All Grain

Originally posted by skips192 View Post
        Couldn't get it working due to the different size copper pipes - I couldn't connect the soft copper pipe to the plumbing copper pipe and therefore to the boil kettle. bugger. Went to metraclark yesterday and bought various adaptors, still cant find anything that will work. anyone that has made a DIY chiller have any suggestions?
        There are no standard fittings that can easily take refrigeration fittings to plumbing. Refrigeration measures sizes by inner diameter and plumbing by outer. Therefore a 1/2" refrigeration fitting is .88 mm too big for a 1/2" plumbing fitting and you cant solder them. You need a swaging tool to make the fit, but off the shelf kits need to be modified.

This is what I have been experimenting with, but it's very hard to solder properly

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410250891.296124.jpg

And this is my standard fittings.

I use 10mm to 15mm compression fittings which some plumbing suppliers can get, but I have been looking at tools that
        Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I cut the end off a flex pipe and used a hose clamp to connect it to a coil. Its not fancy, but it got the job done.

Comment

Thanks Simon. That's quite a chiller you have there. Does it work well?

What flex pipe do you use kingcur? Thought of that but I was worried the boiling hot wort would bugger the pipe up.

How do you guys roll the refrigeration pipe so neat? I tried rolling it over a dive tank but after 2 turns it gets a high point and eventually collapses and crimps.

Comment

It must work pretty well. I've sold about 50 of them

It cools 25l down in about 20 minutes depending on ambient temperature.

You should easily be able to coil around a dive tank. With care you can do it around a 1l paint can.

Comment

The flex pipe on mine doesn't touch wort. I use the steel braided flex pipe you can get from any hardware store.

My coil is anything but neat. I think you can freeze water or put sand in the pipe to limit kinks when working with soft drawn copper.

Comment

Ok so I did a test last night. FG has bottomed out at 1.006. With an OG of 1.062 this seems very high in alcohol content. What are your thoughts? Double/Imperial IPA

Tastes beautiful, if not a bit strong in alcohol. Balanced bitterness and stunning hoppy aroma.

Comment

First All Grain

Ok so I did a test last night. FG has bottomed out at 1.006. With an OG of 1.062 this seems very high in alcohol content. What are your thoughts? Double/Imperial IPA

Tastes beautiful, if not a bit strong in alcohol. Balanced bitterness and stunning hoppy aroma.
                    FG quite low for an IIPA. Your mash temperatures were probably smidgen too low. But well done. As long as you're happy with the taste then all is good

Comment

Ya I did struggle to get the mash temp up to the recommended 68deg. Ended up mashing at 65. Didn't realise it would affect the FG, but rather the taste. I am going to have to go back to the books it seems.

At least I can call it a Double/Imperial IPA.

Comment

Ya I did struggle to get the mash temp up to the recommended 68deg. Ended up mashing at 65. Didn't realise it would affect the FG, but rather the taste. I am going to have to go back to the books it seems.

At least I can call it a Double/Imperial IPA.
                        Lower Mash temps result in two things.
                        A) More fermentable sugars thus higher alcohol content and lower FG.
                        B) lower body, and therefore a greater perception of thinness.

Comment

Failed to start my first AG due to lack of equipment.

Comment

Working...
                          X