Imposabrew!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imposabrew!!

Hey all , new guy here. Lots of reading up to do .. looks like a fun hobby . Will be lurking around and ask some silly questions . Im from the western cape and looking into getting a starter kit or DIY option .. been thru enuff hobies hobbies to know theres a cheaper way hehehe...anyone want to buy a paintball kit? c.Cant write that well ....Dislexia ,so my apolagies in advance for my disvu...disfanc...disfunct...bad spelling .

Duff? Any relation to homers favorite beer? Or a Guns n Roses bassist?
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Indeed .. even whet i thought beer tasted bad , homer made it look real yummy. Luckely Grober went on the record that hell never sell the rights to branding cuase it will premote under age drinking ...wich it will . Theres guys labling it in mexico .. the rest of the places that tried has been shut down .

Comment

I have a liqer license for selling ... do u need a license for producing beer aswell?

Comment

To produce and sell you need a separate license.
          Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
            To produce and sell you need a separate license.
            Tnx simon got the forms .. cpt gov was pretty helpfull .. but it looks like alot of nonsense and red tape to jump thru ..sigh , here we go again . 36 checkpoints and documents

Comment

Just to be sure Duff, just to make for yourself you do not need any paperwork? Only if you intend to sell what you make!

If you only want to drink your brews yourself and maybe share some every no and then I think you are good to go straight away! But since you already have a liquor licence I assume you own a restaurant/bar and would like to sell what you make there?

Good luck in that case! Keep us updated of this endeavor!
              For things I'm selling:
              - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
              - I am located in Pretoria East
              - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

Comment

Originally posted by getack View Post
                Just to be sure Duff, just to make for yourself you do not need any paperwork? Only if you intend to sell what you make!

If you only want to drink your brews yourself and maybe share some every no and then I think you are good to go straight away! But since you already have a liquor licence I assume you own a restaurant/bar and would like to sell what you make there?

Good luck in that case! Keep us updated of this endeavor!
                Tnx for the heads up , yep do have a pub . Looking for a new hobby and our resort has such pure tasty right from the mountain water . And ye everyone loves beer ,im in!

Im told water plays a big role . the ph is 5.4 ,sandstone fountain . Its about 400 meters up the mountain , i run it down to tanks where i put it thru a 20/10/5 micron filters also a carbon filter . Would that be ok or is more needed?

Comment

PH is pretty low. Usually you want your mash to be at about 5.4 but malt naturally brings the pH down. Play with the water calculator on the brewers friend website. It should be able to estimate what will happen when you brew with your water.

Where is your resort that you have mountain water to brew with? Assuming its the beautiful, dark peaty looking water we get. Always thought it would be interesting to see what it would do in beer. Let me know if you need a hand with some basic calcs :-)

Comment

pH of 5.4 is low. Water with a pH of around 6 tastes slightly sweet to me. I'd love to see the water report for your spring.

Without any water adjustments, light coloured beers would probably be your best bet. So Pilsners, Largers, Golden Ales or similar. Working off a water report would be give you a better idea though.

Comment

Yes, good idea to stick with the pale beers. Dark malts drop the pH more than paler malts

Comment

Why don't you just brew a few batches and taste them. Experiment with different styles and find what works. Don't analyse to death and never get round to brewing.
                        Cheers

Jacques

Comment

I c ... tnx for the info . I c some use a ph buffer. Sho lots to think about. Will play around forshure . i contacted beruqerva or something like that, the big hops seller ... for a course they sceduled for the 15th nov. But i C theres also a big beerfest in cpt for craftbeers . Might be the reason i havent got a reply yet

Comment

So went to beerlab today and got 3 Coors kits and 3 of their all grain kits. Why do you need to use a mashton with their kid but not with the Coors Kit, is it because of the DME ?

2nd Q : They had no 46 liter pots with the tap and thermometer or the grainmill. Any other suggestions. Brewcraft only has the mill.

3rd Q : Appperently you cant use 2 20liter kits to make a 40 liter brew. So any good link or thread I can read up on some calculator theory and data or how to use it? Tnx so much for the help.

Comment

A mash tun is used to let the grains convert the starches in the malt into sugars. With malt extract (liquid or dry) the mash has been done and then concentrated. You can skip the mash and go straight to the boil.

On Q2, if it was just a pot you were after, aluminium pots are also suitable. If you wanted a pot with a tap, than DIY is the best option. The thermometer you might be able to get from a kitchen supply store. I used a digital meat thermometer for a while.

On Q3, go to Brewers Friend. Use the recipe builder and input the ingredients into a recipe. Then use the scale feature to increase the batch size to 40L.

Comment

Working...
                              X