PDA

View Full Version : Worthog Brewers Club (North West)

jakeslouw
3rd December 2014, 09:33
Please note that the Worthogs also has a North West Chapter.

We meet at Chameleon Brewery on a monthly basis.

Next meeting is 30 January 2015.

I'll post more info regarding starting time, beer tasting style and the speaker for the evening.
There will also be league tasting afterwards.

SimonB
3rd December 2014, 10:09
Please note that the Worthogs also has a North West Chapter.

We meet at Chameleon Brewery on a monthly basis.

Next meeting is 30 January 2015.

I'll post more info regarding starting time, beer tasting style and the speaker for the evening.
There will also be league tasting afterwards.

Is there any value to creating a separate forum for you guys? Will you use it, because the reason I set these up is so that the clubs can have their own place to chat (even hidden from others if necessary.

jakeslouw
20th April 2015, 08:03
Simon I'm not sure. At this stage I doubt it. Since we meet every month with an optional league beer tasting, we get to chat a fair amount. And the guys aren't really brewing together except for 1 or 2.

jakeslouw
1st September 2015, 09:39
The Harties Chapter of the Worthogs won the Brew Wars competition last weekend against stiff competition from the Pretoria, East Rand and Johannesburg Chapters.

The winning beer is on tap at Copperlake, and as far as I know it is the first version of a Red IPA ever sold in South Africa.

jakeslouw
15th October 2015, 15:55
Next meeting on Friday 30 October.

Not yet sure what BJCP style we will be tasting, but we should have Deon van Huizen, editor of the Hartbeespoort Kormorant, talking on his studies into yeast. Afterwards, the mandatory and delightful league tasting, with the added twist that we will be using an extract of the BJCP tasting score sheet from now on to score the beers.............

jakeslouw
26th November 2015, 12:26
Next meeting is this Friday, 27 Nov

Agenda:

We will kick off with Ruaan van den Berg telling us HOW TO harvest and wash your yeast after brewing and re-use it.

THEN the fun will begin! We are are having a BEER/.BREW QUIZ night where the winner will go home with a hamper with interesting beer.

Our monthly tasting will also form part of the QUIZ where you will have to identify WHAT you are drinking!!

And we hope to have our first Mini Brew in a Party keg so that everybody can see how easy it is to brew and keg a small batch of beer.

IT IS GOING TO BE FUN!! See you there!

jakeslouw
9th March 2016, 10:33
Sorry, I should update more.

The January meeting was great, but the Feb auction was epic with well over R30k swopping hands.

This month:

ElbieLouw
14th March 2016, 13:23
T-Shirt from Craft Beer Tees for the 3 best dressed people! If you would like to join but are scared to drive all the way home, why not book into one of the lodges or guesthouses in the area!? Have a look at http://hartbeespoortinfo.co.za/accommodation/ (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fhartbeespoortinfo.co.za%2Facc ommodation%2F&h=bAQHx8GtO)1097

jakeslouw
23rd May 2016, 13:10
This month we welcome Angelique and Robbie Steward, owners of Lazy Lizard, the new brewery in Hartbeespoort, to our meeting!

Robbie, the brewer, is going to share a few stories around starting the brewery and what they plan, the beer they brew and other interesting stories like jumping out of airplanes for fun!

Julian Pienaar from Just Brewing will also be there to talk about Beer Boot Camp 2016

We will also discuss and finalize our competition brew for the next day and do a bit of team building afterwards!!

Members : R120
Non-Members: R150
The price includes a meal and ONE beer

jakeslouw
13th June 2016, 14:43
Ok the Harties Club End of June meeting will be a Chapter Get Together @ Solstice 2016.

Heads Up: The end of July meeting will hopefully include Hennie from TwoOkes who will chat to us about adjuncts and non-malted products: how to get various taste and aroma effects with various techniques.

jakeslouw
12th August 2016, 13:42
End of August meeting:

This month we are lucky to have Hennie Kloppers, the brewer at Two Okes brewery and winner of this year's Clarens brewing competition talk to us about ADJUNCTS! We all use them but do we know when to modify them and when to add them to our mash.

This promises to be a very interesting evening with loads of information to better your brew!

Elbie & I will be doing two speedbrews of a stout using boiled oats and another one using roasted oats for you to taste the difference at the meeting.

jakeslouw
24th August 2016, 12:18
End of August meeting:

This month we are lucky to have Hennie Kloppers, the brewer at Two Okes brewery and winner of this year's Clarens brewing competition talk to us about ADJUNCTS! We all use them but do we know when to modify them and when to add them to our mash.

This promises to be a very interesting evening with loads of information to better your brew!

Elbie & I will be doing two speedbrews of a stout using boiled oats and another one using roasted oats for you to taste the difference at the meeting.

Guys we need people to attend. Atron, we'll provide free bed & brekkie if you attend.

jakeslouw
19th September 2016, 11:35
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Du3zrPrTUGs/V9-w6XrJVjI/AAAAAAAAUSA/vqvCxQvDrn0sD-2VtdDbJdv-IhFeoae0ACL0B/w802-h450-no/September2016.png

jakeslouw
13th December 2016, 17:10
This chapter is now closed until further notice. We'll see if we can revive some interest sometime in the new year.

jakeslouw
3rd February 2017, 10:58
We're having a brewing session @ Lazy Lizard tomorrow if anybody is keen to join.

10H00 onwards.

If you want to brew something with us, bring your equipment and join in.

jakeslouw
20th May 2017, 14:24
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yeeYWr13dZk/WR7fpcRGBsI/AAAAAAAAWAQ/dZrducTeAmMaUSHO1n0TXLIGu5fwwX8OQCL0B/h380/Banner201705.jpg

jakeslouw
7th November 2017, 17:40

Worthogs Harties will be having a final 2017 meeting @ Chameleon on Saturday.

GavinAnt68
8th August 2020, 16:06
Wow, are the Worthogs dead?

groenspookasem
8th August 2020, 16:30
Believe they're more facebook based

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk