Etched Markings on Brew Engineers 46L Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etched Markings on Brew Engineers 46L Pot

I posted this on the East Coast Brewers Facebook page, but thought I would post it here as well.

Based on this post on Home Brew Talk, I wanted to do the same to my boil kettle:
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f257/how...trated-463099/

Rather than doing all the marking out by hand, and because I wanted accurate 1 liter increments on the markings, I decided to have a full vinyl template cut out by a sign writer that I could stick on the inside of the pot and use for the etching.

I filled the pot up 2l at a time and measured the height of the water each time using a steel ruler. I found that the diameter of the pot is actually constant all the way up and does not taper like I expected which made drawing up the template a lot easier. I used CorelDraw to do the layout of the sticker and then sent the file off to the sign writers to get it cut out. Once cut out, they covered it with a sticky paper called application tape. To get this cut out cost me R30.00. If anybody wants the CorelDraw file send me a PM and mail it to you. I cannot upload it here as it is not a supported file type. Or you could get in touch with KD Glass Frosting who cut this out for me and just ask them to cut one for you too I guess. kdglassfrosting@outlook.com or find them on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kdglassfrosting. They are based in Waterfall in Durban.

To apply the template to the pot, with the backing still on the vinyl I lined up the template in the position I wanted and then taped it down along one edge to keep it position while the backing was removed. I then folded in back on the taped edge and pulled the backing off the vinyl. At this point, the application tape keeps the vinyl flat and stuck together so the it can be carefully rolled down onto the pot. When the vinyl is stuck down the application tape is carefully peeled off, leaving just the vinyl stuck on the pot.

To do the etching, I followed the procedure described in the link above. I used about 1/2 a teaspoon of salt in about 1/4 cup of vinegar. I also used an ear-bud dipped in the vinegar solution to do the etching, although something a bit bigger would speed up the process I think. Although the larger the tip, the more current the power source would need to supply. I used a 12Vdc supply as my power source, and I found that using the ear-bud, it would draw about 300mA. I found I needed to regularly dip the ear-bud in the vinegar to keep it wetted as it dried out quite quickly.

The template cut out with the application tape applied:

The template positioned in the pot:

Vinyl Backing removed and ready to be stuck down:

Ready to etch:

End result:
    Attached Files

This is great! I'll be doing this today. Thanks Nick.

Comment

Looks fantastic!

Comment

That looks great! Very professional

Comment

WoW, that looks fcking great.
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
          X