Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kegging Gurus - Flow control taps worth the extra couple of bucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegging Gurus - Flow control taps worth the extra couple of bucks?

Per the title - I'm considering upgrading from my picnic tap to a Nukatap... is the flow control version worth the extra bit of money? I'm not trying to get super short beer lines or anything, but I can see the benefit if I ever want to take the keg somewhere, then I can connect straight to the ball lock disconnect... Are there any downsized of flow control vs a normal tap?

Good question, I can't answer it, but I went flow control taps for my setup (not installed yet) mostly because for a couple extra couple hundred rand I figured the flexibility could be useful for differently carbed beers, for instance, a highly carbed hefe vs low carbed stout... but maybe it's overkill!
    With how hard it is for me to get stuff I just play on the safe side. Buy once cry once.

Comment

Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Yes. And yes again.

The flow control doesn't just prevent foaming from a short line, it also allows you to pour slower with a higher pressure, it allows you to pour slowly at the start of a night to get the taps cold without wasting too much beer, it allows you to slowly push sanitizer and cleaning agents through the taps and lines so it spends more time in the lines, etc. etc.

It also allows you to turn the tap almost completely closed so it can't be pulled by a kid (been there, done that) spraying beer everywhere, or be bumped by someone walking by. In my opinion, I don't know why or how they're making taps without flow control anymore.

Comment

Sold! Thanks for the feedback gents!

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Yes. And yes again.

The flow control doesn't just prevent foaming from a short line, it also allows you to pour slower with a higher pressure, it allows you to pour slowly at the start of a night to get the taps cold without wasting too much beer, it allows you to slowly push sanitizer and cleaning agents through the taps and lines so it spends more time in the lines, etc. etc.

It also allows you to turn the tap almost completely closed so it can't be pulled by a kid (been there, done that) spraying beer everywhere, or be bumped by someone walking by. In my opinion, I don't know why or how they're making taps without flow control anymore.
          I don't even keg yet but i know what tap's I'll be getting when I do after reading this hahahaha

Comment

By the way, that's just from my short experience with my flow control taps. I got mine second-hand and quite abused and they still work well. I can't imagine the mess I'd have if they were straight taps. I've currently got an Irish Red I forgot under too much pressure for too long (30PSI for almost a week) so it's heavily overcarbonated, and thanks to the design of the coupler on the Sankey keg you can't vent off excess CO2 to make it less gassy. The result is that I have to serve this beer at that same pressure, or it's just foam in the lines, and the flow control tap allows me to do this to a great extent, which is awesome.

Comment

That bit of insurance seems well worth the extra couple of bucks then!

Comment

Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                That bit of insurance seems well worth the extra couple of bucks then!
                Not having to worry about length vs psi vs whatever else causes foam, makes life easy!

Comment

Im just going to leave this here...
                  Flow Control(FC) Ball Lock Disconnect - Better than FC Taps - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
                    Me likey

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
                      Website says it is discontinued.... Maybe wasn't very good...

Comment

Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                        I can imagine. you do need a bit of line to get some resistance. I know either chop or jannie had it hooked up like that but I can remember if it worked lekker.

Comment

Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                          Problem is it is not something to set and forget. As I pour I adjust as required, so trying to fiddle with the disconnect while pouring doesn't sound like fun.

Comment

My nukatap got delivered during the week...

Good bye picnic tap.

Hello pretty stainless tap! Threw this together to try out mounting inside the fridge. That way I don't have to worry about dust, sawdust etc. from the garage getting into the tap... If it works well I may make something a little prettier than some scrap ply (though nothing is as permanent as a temporary solution and all that!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                              My nukatap got delivered during the week...

Good bye picnic tap.

Hello pretty stainless tap! Threw this together to try out mounting inside the fridge. That way I don't have to worry about dust, sawdust etc. from the garage getting into the tap... If it works well I may make something a little prettier than some scrap ply (though nothing is as permanent as a temporary solution and all that!)

I like that idea, I might have to try something like that. I will need those brush plugs for my taps because we get a ton of fruit flies around here, unless I do something like this which seems really clever.
                              Mine looks pretty much the same as the 1st pic, its just pluto guns instead of picnic taps.

Comment

Working...
                              X