Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop

Okay, waaaaaaaaay off topic, but lets just say I would also be running Beersmith on it so this is somewhat on point, and I know a substantial portion of you guys are involved in IT in some way.

2 years ago I got an ASUS i7 laptop thinking I was upgrading, but endless cr*p right out the box. I think time for a replacement. Can anyone recommend what brands/ features are good to go with and what to avoid.

For general office type use, internet, no gaming, some picture editing. So night high requirements, but I don't like staring at little rotating hourglasses on my screen.

TIA
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

I use an HP Core i3 and i have no problems with it.
    I know its not the best out there, but its a good pc

Comment

Depends on how much you want to spend. I would advise installing a nvme m.2 ssd or if that's not possible a good sata ssd or a combination of the two. Something like a samsung 960pro or 960evo. Look at transfer specs etc. If you want the spinning hourglass get something with a spinning disc. This would actually be first purchase before buying a new machine to revive your current one and if it doesn't work put it into the new one

I wont recommend a brand, but check the cpu generation on ark.intel.com on whatever you're looking into, old ones are usually freely available in SA and ddr5 ram whatever is fast these days. I'm not current with pc stuff though, so the above could very well be outdated :-)

Comment

List your current model here so we can look it up, the model should be listed underneath. With a bit of effort you could save it and just upgrade it with an SSD and RAM.
        How is the battery life currently?
        "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

Hey mate,

What's your budget? Also send me the specs of that Asus laptop of yours - it doesn't sound right. i7 is supposed to be just fine. CPU, RAM as well as the main drive, if you please?

I suspect you're just struggling with bloatware and software issues, which is a super easy fix. What Windows do you have installed?

EDIT: Oh, I have to add, I'm more than willing to take a look at that laptop of yours. Also, I can point you in the direction of second-hand machines if you're not opposed to that option.

Comment

+1 on what others have said ...

I think let Toxxyc (since you guys have a beer together ever so often) have a look at that 'old' laptop ... I think a SSD will blow new life into it and if you format/reload the OS, she will be as good as new
            ...also up the RAM to 8GB minimum

If you're still running Windows7 you can upgrade to Win10 (jaja, many will say stay away but if you get someone to set it up properly its the best ) with your existing key (yes, it still works )
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              +1 on what others have said ...

I think let Toxxyc (since you guys have a beer together ever so often) have a look at that 'old' laptop ... I think a SSD will blow new life into it and if you format/reload the OS, she will be as good as new
              ...also up the RAM to 8GB minimum

If you're still running Windows7 you can upgrade to Win10 (jaja, many will say stay away but if you get someone to set it up properly its the best ) with your existing key (yes, it still works )
              +1 Windows 10 + ssd + more ram = New Laptop. Also willing to help/take a look.
              "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

Generally Windows 10 is a much, much smoother OS than 7 or 8. When it comes to 8, plenty okes run 8.0, where, if you prefer that shitty tile layout, 8.1 is the one you should run. Either way, I can pick up a new Win 10 key for peanuts (legally) these days, so there's really nothing to worry about.

Then, it being an Asus laptop, I highly doubt it'll short RAM. Asus is pretty good when it comes to matching up their processors with memory, so if it's an i7 processor and the laptop being only 2 years old, I'm holding thumbs that whoever sold it to Lang, sold him an 8th gen. Money's on a 7th though. Doesn't matter, they're all good CPUs, and even if it is a 7500U it's still not terrible. If it does short RAM though, it's not a trainsmash, an additional stick of 4GB or w/e will sort it out for, again, cheap monies.

The big one though - does it have an SSD? SSDs are a bit like TV cards in computers were 20 years ago. You don't need one, but man it's lekker if you do. Boot times, specially when coupled with Windows 10's Fast Startup can be reduced to single-digit seconds. Things load like a dream and suddenly your entire machine isn't dependent on how fast your south bridge can pull data from the HDD. Loading times are waaaaay better, and while I'm sure Beersmith can run on a 1997 office stapler, an SSD is just a benefit all round. They're not that expensive anymore, and unless you're hunting huge sizes (over 500GB), you can find one for a lot less than a new laptop.

On that note, I'm still very much convinced it's a bloatware + HDD issue

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  Generally Windows 10 is a much, much smoother OS than 7 or 8. When it comes to 8, plenty okes run 8.0, where, if you prefer that shitty tile layout, 8.1 is the one you should run. Either way, I can pick up a new Win 10 key for peanuts (legally) these days, so there's really nothing to worry about.

<>
                  Like I said, the existing windows 7/8/8.1 key will perfectly fine when activating Win10
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Wow. Thanks guys for all the advice and kind offers. And yes, after the fact I did discover that the U part of 7500U means not super awesome. Battery I think is still okay (usually plugged in) but I think it's just 4gb of ram.

This is it:
                    IMG_20190313_211337.jpg

I did delete a ton of what I thought was bloatware, but it still didn't improve. Anyway, our IT guy at work suspected windows 10 issues and was/is going to clear it and reload for me. I was planning on letting him do that and then keeping it as an unnetworked laptop for a modelling/ draughting program only.

And then hopefully just having a fresh start for my day to day stuff with a new, separate lowish level laptop for about R5k to R6k.. and hopefully will work properly straight out the box.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Cool. Those specs are a bit on the low side, and with that amount of RAM and the HDD I'm not surprised it's a slow machine. If you need any assistance, just shout. Still need to stop by your place sometime soon anyway :P

Comment

Yo thanks man. I will whatsapp you when/if I need assistance [Will try and hold off tho, as 1st month of parenting is when 'sleep' is something that 'other people' get! Hope its going well]
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                          Yo thanks man. I will whatsapp you when/if I need assistance [Will try and hold off tho, as 1st month of parenting is when 'sleep' is something that 'other people' get! Hope its going well]
                          Hey man yeah, without deviating too far off topic, it's going much better. He's home, we're not sleeping but that doesn't mean I can't assist where needed. I really don't mind running a cleanup on a laptop for you to make sure it's running fine. If you back up everything beforehand you can even do it yourself, it's really not hard at all

Comment

Working...
                          X