X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice/idea's to enhance a MJ Roasted Stout kit

Hi Guys

https://mangrovejacks.com/collection...dition-eu-only

As the title says, I have a Roasted Stout kit from Mangrove Jacks, and I'm looking for some idea's to make it "better".

I though of getting some bourbon chips, soaking them in some bourbon an adding them to the FV 3 or 4 days prior to bottling.
    Or just adding some flavouring like this: https://flavournation.co.za/shop/bourbon-flavouring/

I made the Oatmeal Breakfast Stout kit that Brewcraft sells but I was not impressed... I couldn't taste the coffee in it, and it included a bottle for flavouring.

Any other suggestions for making a better stout out of the kit would be appreciated!

If I could help I would. I have tried many stouts over the years and thought now that I brew I'll appreciate them more but nope. I had a stoute hond from kennel brewery recently. And I'm not impressed. The beer is probably great it's just the dark grains that get me . it's a harsh bitterness that I get from all stouts that is just over the top for me.

General kit advice is to add body somehow. Either by steeping grains or adding a brew enhancer. Maybe in this case some lactic. But as I said I dont know with stouts

Comment

I've no experience with kits and seldom brew stout, but I do prefer dry irish (no lactose, no black malt) at session strength 3.8% to 4% usually hopped with east kent/fuggles with a small amount of rolled oats and balanced on the nose at 0.5 bu:gu. On occasion I'd add a smidgen (1/4 tot at most) of bourbon (bulleit is my goto cheap but decent sipper) when pouring. This way you control the taste and abv and you're not married to a keg of it.

I also cant help with those flavoring kits, I've used a still spirits one once and was utterly disgusted so I avoid it completely, had to re-distill it to get the taste out. The linked one looks like it's for baking - there's a difference so caveat emptor and all that.

On a side note, I use Galena for bittering my ipa's - quite fruity for a stout, but could work I guess.

Comment

That Galena is a bit of a weird choice for a stout.
        Mind you, i wouldn't dry-hop any stout recipe, but that's just me

To enhance that kit ... your option of adding bourbon chips is probably the best option as many a homebrewer on YT will advise you not to add flavouring liquids

Beerlab - adding-oak-flavour-to-your-beer
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Can't really think of much except adding a bit of lactose for mouthfeel and sweetness. If you are a bit of a culinary adventurer and a home cook like, I would dare say try adding salted caramel to the batch?

In all honesty, when I feel like a stout, I go and buy a 4 pack of Guinness cans...

I am yet to find a craft stout that I enjoy.

Comment

Lactose, cocoa and espresso (coffee). I added a bag of lactose (or just under), 180ml cocoa and 4 shots of espresso. Turned that roasted stout into one hell of a nice drink. It's actually something I want to replicate someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              Lactose, cocoa and espresso (coffee). I added a bag of lactose (or just under), 180ml cocoa and 4 shots of espresso. Turned that roasted stout into one hell of a nice drink. It's actually something I want to replicate someday.
              I'm SO going to be doing this. Thanks so much Toxxyc!!

And thanks to everyone else for your wisdom and inputs, highly appreciated.

Before seeing Toxxyc's reply, I was going to go with lactose and bourbon chips soaked in some Gentlemen Jacks.. but i'm just too much of a sucker for coffee haha

Comment

If you really want the coffee to shine, you can double up the espresso and dial down the cocoa a bit. I'm a sucker for a sweet choc stout, which is why I went with that method. If I wanted more coffee, I definitely would have added more than just 4 shots. 8 should let it shine much nicer.

EDIT: Oh yes, and many people will say "cold brew" but I found it way too much effort. Just made 4 shots in the machine and poured it in.

Comment

So I ended up adding 200ml Cocoa, 300g Lactose and 6 Espressos and made the total batch only 21L (instead of 23).
                  Oh, i also ditched the dry hop as per Jig's "recommendation".

Maaaaaaaaaaan this tastes damn goood. Much better than my previous stout.
                  Would def recommend doing this to anyone looking to brew this kit.

Thanks again Toxxyc!

Comment

You're welcome. Glad it came out nicely for you!

Comment

Working...
                    X