Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no idea ... not a fan of the style, so my knowledge is limited
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
      My Dunkel Weizen has come to it's end of fermentation after 2 weeks tomorrow. What would recommended cold crashing procedure be? Obviously no gelatine fining. I was thinking of crashing it till 5C such that the malt porridge can drop out but not quite the yeast.. or crash conventionally to near freezing? .. or no cold crashing at all ?
      There will be enough yeast in the bottle. Cold crash as low as you can sir.

Comment

• When I cold crash I do it at 0C for three days.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
          There will be enough yeast in the bottle. Cold crash as low as you can sir.
          Thanks. for that, will do. I usually cold crash as mentioned .. though maybe with a weisen it's different.

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
          When I cold crash I do it at 0C for three days.
          I go down to 2C. I have found that if I go lower, the freezer overshoot and have seen signs of beer freezing at zero or 1C.. So 2C is as cold as can be for me. This is 2C on the STC w the probe taped to the side of the fermenter..
          AlexBrew
          Last edited by AlexBrew; 5 December 2021, 13:06.

Comment

• Beer can usually handle -2 due to the alcohol. If your beer is freezing at 0-1 your temp probe is probably reading a bit high.

When I did my first weiss I though the same and packaged right at the end of fermentation no cold crash. The trub that settled out in the bottle acted as nucleation site causing all of the bottles to be gushers.

Comment

• Yeah when I cold crash I set my controller to 0.5C. I have had some beer freezing (a light coating of ice on the beer) before so these days I crash a bit higher, just to 1C. This solves the issue for me. I'm OK with the probe measuring a bit warmer, TBH. I know how it works by now

Comment

• I have checked my STC against a glass thermometer and it is 0.5C higher
                At 0C never had my beer freeze.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                  Beer can usually handle -2 due to the alcohol. If your beer is freezing at 0-1 your temp probe is probably reading a bit high.

When I did my first weiss I though the same and packaged right at the end of fermentation no cold crash. The trub that settled out in the bottle acted as nucleation site causing all of the bottles to be gushers.
                  I think it's more of a case where the fermenters are still warm(er) than the freezer's output .. so say the probe on the fermenter reads 10C (coming down from 20C) .. STC setting is at 1C , then the freezer is going to cool to -10 of whatever till the probe reads 1C and swith off .. by that time the freezer is at -1000 and chills the fermenters beyond intention.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                    Yeah when I cold crash I set my controller to 0.5C. I have had some beer freezing (a light coating of ice on the beer) before so these days I crash a bit higher, just to 1C. This solves the issue for me. I'm OK with the probe measuring a bit warmer, TBH. I know how it works by now
                    This is what I got once with setting at 1C .. hence now setting at 2C .. and this works for me. My beers are clear enough with minimal trub at the bottom of my bottles.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                      I have checked my STC against a glass thermometer and it is 0.5C higher
                      At 0C never had my beer freeze.
                      I should do this check. I've got a glass spirit thermometer

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                        I should do this check. I've got a glass spirit thermometer

This is how i calibrated mine
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

Did mine the same, but also put my glass thermometer in the glass of ice just to double check.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

Cool thx. Will do that..

Comment

• New addition to the family. Will brew the Irish red on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
                                New addition to the family. Will brew the Irish red on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Another G30 or did you level up to a G70? Njoy it!

Comment

Working...
                                X