Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
    No, never had that with either iodophor or starsan.

But rather rinse with starsan it just taste very sligthly sour instead of like medicine with iodophor
    Thanks, not ideal either way.

Ironically there are some without any aftertaste

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulWW View Post

With what did you use to wash your bottles? Was it new or used bottles?

Comment

You will never taste starsan unless its half your beer. It has 0 flavour impact in the amounts left over after rinsing.

Go wash out your mouth with starsan and see what it taste like. It doesnt taste bad just n bq suur

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
          With what did you use to wash your bottles? Was it new or used bottles?
          A combination of both. I used steam (Karcher steamer with a nozzle) and them rinsed with iodophor before bottling

Comment

• I have no idea what soap tastes like, so can't help you

Also never got any taste in the final product from either Iodophor or Starsan
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

A combination of both. I used steam (Karcher steamer with a nozzle) and them rinsed with iodophor before bottling

The glass you pour your beer into, it could have had soap residue.
              I always rinse my glass before pouring just in case.

Do you know the profile of your water, it could have a high sulphate content.

Was the beer in the primary fermentot for a very long time.
              Sometimes the fatty acids will break down in the trub if left very long in the primary fermentor, this causes a soapy taste
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                The glass you pour your beer into, it could have had soap residue.
                I always rinse my glass before pouring just in case.

Do you know the profile of your water, it could have a high sulphate content.

Was the beer in the primary fermentot for a very long time.
                Sometimes the fatty acids will break down in the trub if left very long in the primary fermentor, this causes a soapy taste
                That makes sense.

I used 5l Bon Aqua bottled water for the wort.

It did sit in the fermenter about 1 week after fermentation stopped before I bottled as i wanted to let it settle.

the second batch I transferred to a bottling bucket, but that needs another week to condition so i will see how that comes out.

Come to think of it, I used brown sugar for my priming sugar, maybe that is the culprit. The second batch was with white sugar.

Trial & error... it is

Comment

That makes sense.

It did sit in the fermenter about 1 week after fermentation stopped before I bottled as i wanted to let it settle.

the second batch I transferred to a bottling bucket, but that needs another week to condition so i will see how that comes out.

Come to think of it, I used brown sugar for my priming sugar, maybe that is the culprit. The second batch was with white sugar.

Trial & error... it is

! week in the fermenter should not be an issue.
                  Brown sugar will not cause any soapy taste, I have often used brown sugar for priming.

I assume you used the falt unflavoured Bon Aque.
                  Not sure but I think they reverse osmosis there water and then add back minerals.
                  Best to use a reverse osmosis water with no minerals added back ( you can then add your own i.e. Gypsum, calcium chloride is commenly used. ), alternetavily it is good to have the wate profile of the minerals in the water you are using, to make sure there is not something in the water that can cause off flavours in the beer.

See below

Salts.jpg
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

That makes sense.

Trial & error... it is
                    Brown vs White sugar won't be the cause. Are you brewing with kits, or all grain?

What yeast did you use? And at what temperatures are you conditioning your beer? The breakdown of the trub (or yeast cake) can contribute a soapy taste.

Then, you'll need to figure out the pH of your beer. If you didn't get your pH low enough (acidic enough), the chances that you had a high pH brew is good, and that can cause soapy flavours.

Also, are the bottles you used new, and if so, how did you wash them?

Finally, don't transfer from primary to secondary to condition before bottling. Bottle directly from primary. That way you have half the risk of infections (which can also cause off flavours), and you also have more beer going in to the bottles (because you don't toss sediment twice).

Comment

• Thanks, I am bottle conditioning. 2weeks in cupboard (estimate 16 degrees) then into fridge then down my throat.

Bottles were steamed then santiser pre bottling.

The few I had yesterday seem to be fine, they have had an extra day or two in the fridge.

Comment

Howdy folks, I have used lodophor santiser whilst doing my very first brew. Bottles have conditioned for 2 weeks are are now being consumed at a rapid rate.. LOL!! Very satisfying drinking ones own brew. Great carbonation in bottle and good ale taste. However, I have a very slight soap aftertaste left in my mouth after I swallow. Any pointers on what might have caused this? Should I have rinsed the bottles with clean water after sanitising and before filling?
                        I use Iodophor for over a year+ now and don't have issues..
                        I clean my bottes by soaking then with SodiumPerc and couple hours .. days later I WAP the bottles with clean water. Then rinse w iodophor and then rinse that with wee bit boiling water from a kettle. Works for me.

Soapy taste ?? could that be a butterscotch taste .. is it more of a soapy mouthfeel (smoothness .. buttery) or is it the taste of it (chemical .. artificial fruit flavours)?

Tell us more about your brew? All grain? etc

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          No doubt it improves the smoothness and in some cases increases the beer taste. As you know the Kolsch I made where cactus gave me wit yeast which I only discovered on brew day.

When I pour it directly in a glass it has a strange aftertaste, not a bad beer by any means. But when I use the fizzics on the same kolsch there is a smooth, but subtle banana aftertaste that comes from the wit I presume - definitely makes it a better beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                            days later I WAP the bottles with clean water.
                            You WAP your bottles?? That's disgusting, but I think I have heard of that beer...

https://youtu.be/Wc5IbN4xw70

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
                              You WAP your bottles?? That's disgusting, but I think I have heard of that beer...

Hahaha.. yes it's good shit man..

Comment

• Originally posted by atunguyd View Post

Good one
                                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
                                X