No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice again please. I have some grains that I would like to use before stocking up again (As per the Smash suggestion I received). So Asking again

Here is my inventory

3.5KG Pale malt
    2kg Premium Pilsener
    1Kg Cara Munich I
    1Kg Munich

Hops:

80g Centennial (the package is open as was gifted from someone else although stored in container and fridge so not sure on freshness)
    50g Southern Passion
    150g Fuggles
    100g EKG
    50g U1/132
    40g Citra (Left over from Smash I did last week so would be great to sill use them).

Is is possible to do a IPA/APA with Above?

I was thinking the below recipe - Where would I put it in terms of a style - APA?

Any other recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Comment

• Your grainbill looks ok. ABV would have it in a APA category.
      I would replace the 60min Citra w the U1/132.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
        Your grainbill looks ok. ABV would have it in a APA category.
        I would replace the 60min Citra w the U1/132.
        Do you think I can do a double IPA using 2.5 pale malt and 2kg pilsener? Would it be OK mixing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
          Do you think I can do a double IPA using 2.5 pale malt and 2kg pilsener? Would it be OK mixing them?
          Yea.. it's ok to mix them. You might have to add all your grain .. plus some sugar 5-7% is acceptable.
          APA typically range abv 5-6%
          IPA 6-7.5 % DIPA 7.5+
          all with IBUs to match. Aim for BUGU ratio of 0.85-0.87.

Comment

• Didn't someone post a tool on here that pops out recipes for the stock you have on hand ?
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              Didn't someone post a tool on here that pops out recipes for the stock you have on hand ?
              I remember that. Think it was BruHaHa.. he's been quiet for a while..

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post

I remember that. Think it was BruHaHa.. he's been quiet for a while..
                I have this one - https://beerlad.com/brewwithwhatyouhave

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxmax2 View Post
                  Awesome thank you sharing.

On a 20l batch it gave me 2 recipes (22l only the APA). Very cool website.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxmax2 View Post
                    That's the one yes
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• How long does it take to brew in a all in one system like the Grainfather, inclusing cleaning up
                      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                        How long does it take to brew in a all in one system like the Grainfather, inclusing cleaning up
                        The one on Saturday. Started at 8, was finished packed away by 11:30 - 12

Comment

• I do not have an all in one system and it takes me half an hour longer.
                          In my opinion not worth the half hour.
                          Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post

The one on Saturday. Started at 8, was finished packed away by 11:30 - 12

What did you do in that time, just brew or did you weight out all your ingredients, mill, sanatise your fermenter etc.?

I personally start my clock when I fill water in the GF, then I start weighing out everything, milling, water adjustments, sanatise my fermenters etc. as I go along while brewing, takes me 4 hours in total then I am done packing away.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post

What did you do in that time, just brew or did you weight out all your ingredients, mill, sanatise your fermenter etc.?

I personally start my clock when I fill water in the GF, then I start weighing out everything, milling, water adjustments, sanatise my fermenters etc. as I go along while brewing, takes me 4 hours in total then I am done packing away.
                              I usually sanitise GF the night before, fill with water and set the timer for when I want to start mash the next morning. Then I fill my fermenters with no rinse and leave them overnight. Also quickly weighed the grains etc the night before - took like 10 min.

So 8am next morning everything is ready.

Comment

• I don't think I've ever timed a brew day. My active time spent "working" on the beer, including filling up with water, checking temps, mashing in, sparging, etc. etc. is typically less than an hour, so I'm happy enough. I'd LOVE a circulation pump, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X