Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Apologies for restarting the Kveik talk but i want to test your experience.

I used Voss from Lalemund in dec as i needed a very quick turnaround.
    Dry hopped 20g and whirlpool 40g with Citra and mosaic.

Beer is good BUT.
    Its not slapping me in the face with hop flavor or aroma.
    I think the yeast suppresses this.

The yeast taste is very neutral.
    There is a clear Tropic fruit character but nothing of the Citra i usually get.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Is there an over-ripe orange flavour ? This is what I found.

I once brewed a Siera Nevada Pale ale w Voss when it was Kveik fasion.. and beer tasted good ... initally - though it was a bit muddled compared to US05 (knowning what I know now).
    Then I brewed same SNPA grainbill but used Centennial (instead of Cascade) and Voss .. and beer was good initially with lots of orange or tangerine flavour .. but had the same muddiness as the SNPA.
    Then brewed a recipe based on a Cali Common w Northern Brewer but used Voss..
    Theses breers where brewed one after the other and after a while (a month or whatever) the differences between them 3 beers became less and less untill they almost tasted the same.. with a bit of distinction of course, but the hop difference that makes these beers appart became less. I think I brewed a Tropical stout with it and was actually great.. I then tossed the Voss, never to be seen again. Tsek
    AlexBrew
    Last edited by AlexBrew; 21 January 2022, 21:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post

I once brewed a Siera Nevada Pale ale w Voss when it was Kveik fasion.. and beer tasted good ... initally - though it was a bit muddled compared to US05 (knowning what I know now).
      Then I brewed same SNPA grainbill but used Centennial (instead of Cascade) and Voss .. and beer was good initially with lots of orange or tangerine flavour .. but had the same muddiness as the SNPA.
      Theses breers where brewed one after the other and after a while (a month or whatever) the differences between them 3 beers became less and less untill they almost tasted the same.. with a bit of distinction of course, but the hop difference that makes these beers appart became less. I think I brewed a Tropical stout with it and was actually great.. I then tossed the Voss, never to be seen again.
      yeah my same experience with Voss, that over-ripe orange flavor completely takes over. it's good initially but that taste takes over in the end.

I have never had a beer brewed with Kveik that I liked. I'm extremely sensitive to the esters it puts out and am not a fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post

yeah my same experience with Voss, that over-ripe orange flavor completely takes over. it's good initially but that taste takes over in the end.

I have never had a beer brewed with Kveik that I liked. I'm extremely sensitive to the esters it puts out and am not a fan.
        I thought It worked well with the Tropical Stout I did. Hopped with Amarillo and Summit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post

I've been making the same recipes over and over for years now. I always used the hop bag, same hops, same amount, same time in the boil, to obtain the same bittering. A while ago I read something about how bitter something should be, and to me, something hopped to ~30 IBUs should be hoppy enough to taste the hops properly. However, when I bitter in the bag to 30 IBUs, I'm not getting that "described" level of bittering.

So I made the same recipe, just sans hop bag. Suddenly my bitterness, or perceived bitterness, exploded. 30 IBUs tasted like I would imagine 30 IBUs should taste. So I think you lose contact and isomerized compounds leaking into the wort if you use a hop bag. That's when I decided to drop the hop bag, I no longer use it.
          +1 I tossed those type of bags years ago .... straight into keggle and FV ever since.
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Wasn't a fan of Voss, but to date I can't fault Oslo
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Theses breers where brewed one after the other and after a while (a month or whatever) the differences between them 3 beers became less and less untill they almost tasted the same.. with a bit of distinction of course, but the hop difference that makes these beers appart became less. I think I brewed a Tropical stout with it and was actually great.. I then tossed the Voss, never to be seen again.
              Not over ripe orange but more of a green melon. Spanspek as we call it. Its good but like you said with every week that passes then beer becomes more bland

Comment

Not over ripe orange but more of a green melon. Spanspek as we call it. Its good but like you said with every week that passes then beer becomes more bland

Yip
                Ag .. sug .. has to be at least 10 characters

Comment

I have experienced the bland factor with it, this was with that Biermuncher Blonde, as first taste was lekker, couple of days later nothing. Will have to revisit that one.

Comment

• has anyone ever made a milkshake IPA?

I've been kicking around the idea to make one so I can make something that is a bit more creamy than a typical NEIPA.

Any thoughts? advice?

Comment

has anyone ever made a milkshake IPA?

I've been kicking around the idea to make one so I can make something that is a bit more creamy than a typical NEIPA.

Any thoughts? advice?
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGhF47ZVtTU

Comment

• Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
                        Maybe I should have added some text, they look pretty interesting, these guys make it look fun. I kinda get the feeling you'll either love it or hate it. I would brew a pretty small batch just in case it was terrible. If you want creamier, couldn't you just increase wheat and oats?

Comment

has anyone ever made a milkshake IPA?

Any thoughts? advice?
                          Have a look at the Electric Brewery Recipe catalogue.. think they just add lactose to a neipa..

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/...gland-pale-ale

Sommer have a look at their other recipes.

Comment

• Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post

Maybe I should have added some text, they look pretty interesting, these guys make it look fun. I kinda get the feeling you'll either love it or hate it. I would brew a pretty small batch just in case it was terrible. If you want creamier, couldn't you just increase wheat and oats?
                            I saw that Devils Peak adds lactose in theirs. I have read that if you use hophead yeast with the added hop enzyme it will drive your FG down and result in a drier thinner beer, so figured they use the lactose to add some body back in. I quite enjoy Devils Peak's version so figured I'd give it a try

Comment

Have a look at the Electric Brewery Recipe catalogue.. think they just add lactose to a neipa..

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/...gland-pale-ale

Sommer have a look at their other recipes.
                              awesome completely forgot about this resource thanks for reminding me.

Comment

• I have used Erythritol a couple of times in a NEIPA.
                                I used it as I could not get hold of lactose.
                                However it does not have the ceaminess factor, which I would have prefered.
                                It is an organic compoung and naturally occurring.
                                60 -70% as sweet as sucrose (table sugar).
                                For interest - It is also almost noncaloric i.e. does not affect blood sugar or cause tooth decay.
                                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                                X