Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackfoxbrew your Juicy beer looks nice, but it's not a SMaSH. SMaSH beers are Single Malt and Single Hop. Since you added oats, it's no longer a single malt beer, but that's just a technicality. Looks great!

Comment

• haha yes yes! I was waiting for that roasting I guess we can term this one a SMOASH then

Comment

• I don't think 10% oats to aid in head retention and a little more mouthfeel will move a beer out of the SMaSH range ... Not in my books.
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• It does. The second you add specialty malts or grains, it's no longer a SMaSH, just like it's not a lager if you don't make it with lager yeast, and it's not a porter if you use roast barley.

Keeping in mind SMaSH beers were designed to give you the raw taste of a single grain and a single hop. If you have a single grain but it lacks mouthfeel or head retention and you add a specialty to buff it up, then it's no longer a SMaSH and you already know that the malt doesn't "do it" for you, so to speak.

I don't really care, it's just what it is. 10% is quite a large percentage on the base grain bill. Most of my lighter beers don't even have 5% specialty malts added.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackfoxbrew View Post
            AlexBrew, wait what!? you have recipe for king's blockhouse or did I ready that incorrectly? gimme gimme please!!!
            Hi .. yes, this recipe was on this forum already. I did brew it a while back and came out great .. but not 'exactly' the same as the real mcCoy.. The original recipe calls for a double dry hop - I only did a single DH. That said, there is another taste missing form the clone recipe.. I haven't identified it yet.. It could possibly be a combination of several hops - or ratio's thereof.

EDIT: It's that prominent taste of lychees, which is lacking from the clone. A buddy of mine tasted the original and said it's got a coconut flavour to it.. I googled and found that Sabro hops have a coconut flavour. Dunno, what do you guys think about that?
            AlexBrew
            Last edited by AlexBrew; 4 January 2022, 10:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              I don't think 10% oats to aid in head retention and a little more mouthfeel will move a beer out of the SMaSH range ... Not in my books.
              Yeah so the story is my brother in law was down from Sydney - he is always telling me about these crazy hazy, ultra hopped, juicy, lactose NEIPAs he drinks and figured I would brew something that could please that palate…
              It being Dec and as a result of poor planning all I had was a lot of Galaxy, some pre milled Pale Malt and of course…good ‘ol Jungle Oats [emoji1787]
              At least the beer came out juicy and with a nice mouthfeel - albeit not a purist smash.

This past weekend I did brew a true to the name SMaSH:
              100% Chateau Pale
              Tons of Amarillo (tiny 60min, 15min, 5min, whirlpool)
              Hoping for something simple, dry and clearish [emoji1695][emoji1695][emoji1695]
              And split the batch into 2 fermenters - one got US-05 and the other a packet of BRY-97 although I dont expect much of a difference it would be interesting to see…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• I honestly prefer brewing by the ones. One base malt, one adjunct, one specialty malt and one hop. Its adds a bit of complexity as smash beer have always been a bit dissapointing.

Google by the ones for a better explanantion.

Comment

• Well, the galaxy SMaSH I made was so yum on a hot December day that Im willing to brew it a few more times exactly as is for the rest of summer.

Screenshot_22.jpg

Comment

.. And split the batch into 2 fermenters - one got US-05 and the other a packet of BRY-97 although I dont expect much of a difference it would be interesting to see…
                    https://brulosophy.com/2015/06/01/sa...iment-results/

Comment

• Ah yeah thanks AlexBrew - found this after the split batch brew on Sat. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision so didnt really research too much…

Also, what size did you brew your DP kings clonehouse?

Comment

Also, what size did you brew your DP kings clonehouse?
                        I generally brew 45 litre batches in a 50l kettle.

Comment

• Split batch between Fermentis US-05 and Lallemand London Ale. a Blonde Ale mashed at 68°C to test the % difference in attenuation

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
                          Harhm
                          Last edited by Harhm; 7 January 2022, 09:57.
                          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• ^ Looks great & also reminds me of my own Blonde currently in keg

Posting any differences ?

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              ^ Looks great & also reminds me of my own Blonde currently in keg

Posting any differences ?
                              Thanks, both realy good beers, they taste different enough that I can tell them apart, at this stage I do prefer the London ale. US-05 can sometimes have a "peachy" taste that I can ID. Will have to do another split batch to confirm the figures as the results does not lighn up to what I expexted, FG's within 1 point of each other

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
                              Harhm
                              Last edited by Harhm; 7 January 2022, 16:44.
                              2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• First brew with GF. Irish red. Only 5 days in bottle so just testing, she is amazing, exactly what I wanted.

Comment

Working...
                                X