This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new year's NEIPA

Just the show the difference a bit of sunshine makes to the colour of a NEIPA!

Outdoor

Indoor

For this brew I switched up the dry hopping to a single huge charge once fermentation was complete... So no bio-transformation with anything other than what's carried over from the whirlpool. Beer has TONS of aroma. The whole room smells of hops when I pour a glass... I'm also more than happy with the level of murk! Process wise, I'm thinking I'll stay with this hopping approach. The less I have to open the fermenter, the better.

Taste wise, I whirlpooled at a slightly higher temp to try and get a few more IBUs out. There's a fair bit of hop burn still present, but I'm really excited to see how it tastes in a week!

All in all I'm very chuffed...

Comment

• Testing my new pseudo smash. Not a bad beer by any means, but might be a tad too hoppy for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Carbonation seems Low on my Red ale. Weird, been conditioning for 3 weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
          Carbonation seems Low on my Red ale. Weird, been conditioning for 3 weeks.
          I presume you are bottling - coz you mentioned 'conditioning'
          One of 2 things .. either your bottle cap was not seated properly and gas escaped ..
          or it hasn't finished bottle carbonation - which is unlikely but I'm guesing could happen if bottles where exposed to too much heat, then yeast could die - possibly .. dunno.

You could pour a sample in your hydrometer measuring vial (whatever you call it), must!! let it degas and take a SG reading (gassed up beer reads a lower SG than when flat). This should be at least the same or less than your FG at bottling time.
          Hope this will give you some insight.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post

I presume you are bottling - coz you mentioned 'conditioning'
            One of 2 things .. either your bottle cap was not seated properly and gas escaped ..
            or it hasn't finished bottle carbonation - which is unlikely but I'm guesing could happen if bottles where exposed to too much heat, then yeast could die - possibly .. dunno.

You could pour a sample in your hydrometer measuring vial (whatever you call it), must!! let it degas and take a SG reading (gassed up beer reads a lower SG than when flat). This should be at least the same or less than your FG at bottling time.
            Hope this will give you some insight.
            Yeah bottling.

Don't think it's the cap or even heat, tried 4 and they all had similar carbonation levels. My calculations were definitely correct so not sure what is happening.

When I drink it it doesn't feel flat but the actual foam in the glass is non existent.

Comment

• Here is me now...

https://youtube.com/shorts/VwS4hI5fhJU?feature=share

Comment

Here is me now...

Looks like it's got life ..
                What's the recipe? co2 vols? looks then like head retenion.

Comment

Here is me now...

Damn nice colour
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post

Looks like it's got life ..
                    What's the recipe? co2 vols? looks then like head retenion.
                    Bottling volume was 19.8l. Used 130g dextrose. So all should be good.

How do I improve head retention?

Comment

• ^ Add a little carapils
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Bottling volume was 19.8l. Used 130g dextrose. So all should be good.
                        How do I improve head retention?
                        Add 5-10% dextrine type malt .. like CaraPils, CaraClair, CaraFoam or some wheat.
                        In my ales I add 5% wheat and 5% caraclair
                        Lagers just add caraclair

Comment

Here is me now...

Good looking Irish Red, nicely done imo there's nothing wrong with your carbonation its supposed to have moderate carbonation with a dissipating head that fades into partial cover like that when you swirl it in the vid you are knocking the co2 out of solution and you can see the foam cover reforming again ie there is plenty co2 in your Red the head is just not sticking around long enough for your liking it seems, no worries the head retention will improve and the foam will become more dense and uniform, just give it a bit more time.
                          2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Weiss I bottled 2 months ago. Initially it had a bit of a sour aftertaste, this has now faded and turned into a great beer.

Comment

• APA I made with the random recipe generator based on what ingredients I had left. Bottled last night, tastes great and loving the colour.

Comment

• My version of a Grisette. 3% abv brewed with Spalter Sellect and WLP 530. Very easy drinking, slight spice and light flowers from the hops with some fresh citrus and restrained Belgian esters from the yeast

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Harhm
                                Last edited by Harhm; 3 February 2022, 16:14.
                                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Working...
                                X