Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottled my Oaked, Bourbon, Vanilla, Coffee, Chocolate Imperial Russian Stout today.
    I will never in the future pitch on a full yeast cake. It buried my spigot and I will also never throw in loose coffee or cocoa nibs but I suspect this was compounded by the full yeast cake,

I managed to bottle 15 Belgian style bottles, 4 mini champagne bottles and about half a keg. Keg was done our of frustration as the spigot kept getting clogged.

the taste out of the fermenter is heaven, there is 0 alcohol burn and just choco coffee goodness. Will let the bottle's lie til December and use the kegs as a tester.

here we go lads. 2022 is off with a bang!! brew up a storm

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
      Bottled my Oaked, Bourbon, Vanilla, Coffee, Chocolate Imperial Russian Stout today.
      Will let the bottle's lie til December and use the kegs as a tester.
      You are going to condition a beer for 11 months? Gosh, with the winter a stout goes down well. I sure do hope you have plenty of other beers around

Comment

Bottled my Oaked, Bourbon, Vanilla, Coffee, Chocolate Imperial Russian Stout today.
        I will never in the future pitch on a full yeast cake. It buried my spigot and I will also never throw in loose coffee or cocoa nibs but I suspect this was compounded by the full yeast cake,

I managed to bottle 15 Belgian style bottles, 4 mini champagne bottles and about half a keg. Keg was done our of frustration as the spigot kept getting clogged.

the taste out of the fermenter is heaven, there is 0 alcohol burn and just choco coffee goodness. Will let the bottle's lie til December and use the kegs as a tester.

DAMN!! that made my mouth water! sounds like a bit of an ordeal but worth it. Sounds super tasty, well done!

Comment

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
          I currently only have 3 on my list. All designed by myself. Rarely brew other peoples recipes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3730[/ATTACH]
          Would like to take a look at your NEIPA and APA.

Which app are you using to design your receipes?

Comment

I must have a go at something like this as well. I love my stouts - especially during winter.. Wil start sourcing vanilla and cacao nibs - where's best place to get those? Dischem?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maputo_Brew View Post

Would like to take a look at your NEIPA and APA.

Which app are you using to design your receipes?
              App I use was written by myself for myself. Written in VBA (Visual Basic for Applications.

Below is latest APA and NEIPA I have brewed.
              NEIPA bottled last weekend. APA brewed yesterday.
              For both you can use any fruity hop like Cascade, Citra, Centennial, Southern Passion, Southern Tropic etc.

APA.jpg

NEIPA.jpg
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Brewed a new American pale ale earlier today. Loving the colour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris_za1 View Post
                  Brewed a new American pale ale earlier today. Loving the colour
                  Looking nice yes..
                  Is this the recipe as calculated from the "BrewWithWhatYouHave" website ?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post

Looking nice yes..
                    Yes, that one I posted here. Seems legit as everything was spot on.

Comment

Looking nice yes..
                      This was the recipe it generated, just scaled it for GF. Basic but think will be lekke

Comment

I must have a go at something like this as well. I love my stouts - especially during winter.. Wil start sourcing vanilla and cacao nibs - where's best place to get those? Dischem?
                        I got from wellness warehouse.

Get banging now so it will be ready by winter.

I soaked everything in a bottle of bourbon seperately and then everything went in the fermenter. Soaked for about a month

Comment

• I got the last vanilla pod from Wellness Warehouse in Table Bay Mall and a 200g packet cocoa nibs.. not the cheapest of ingredients I might add. Anyway the shop only had one pod which I think may not be enough for my 45litre batch. How many would one recommend? I did a google search and 'they' claim anywhere from 1/2 - 3 beans / 5gal batch. So, I'm at the low side I'd reccon - need to source some more.

Then roasted up 50g cocoa nibs until I smelled a hint of burning rather than roasting, then tossed this (along w the chopped up vanilla pod) in a 250ml consul jar topped w 'ol Jim Bean. Are 50g cocoa enough? I don't want it overly chocolately.. think that will make it taste cheap.

Comment

I got the last vanilla pod from Wellness Warehouse in Table Bay Mall and a 200g packet cocoa nibs.. not the cheapest of ingredients I might add. Anyway the shop only had one pod which I think may not be enough for my 45litre batch. How many would one recommend? I did a google search and 'they' claim anywhere from 1/2 - 3 beans / 5gal batch. So, I'm at the low side I'd reccon - need to source some more.

Then roasted up 50g cocoa nibs until I smelled a hint of burning rather than roasting, then tossed this (along w the chopped up vanilla pod) in a 250ml consul jar topped w 'ol Jim Bean. Are 50g cocoa enough? I don't want it overly chocolately.. think that will make it taste cheap.
                            200gr wont be enough, I added 4 beans and 200gr to my 23L batch. I would say you will need about double what you currently have. the higher the ABV the less you can add as the booze helps with extraction, but your batches are massive so would at least double.

Durbanville wellness Centre had some beans when I was there, otherwise Takealot.

Snyper also has some tips in his thread.

also remember nibs is pure dark chocolate. it isn't very sweet, did you taste a few nibs on their own? they have hints of chocolate but not a lot of chocolate by themselves

Comment

200gr wont be enough, I added 4 beans and 200gr to my 23L batch. I would say you will need about double what you currently have. the higher the ABV the less you can add as the booze helps with extraction, but your batches are massive so would at least double.

Durbanville wellness Centre had some beans when I was there, otherwise Takealot.

Snyper also has some tips in his thread.

also remember nibs is pure dark chocolate. it isn't very sweet, did you taste a few nibs on their own? they have hints of chocolate but not a lot of chocolate by themselves
                              Ok.. I thought so.
                              Yes, I did taste some of the nibs - not an immediate massive chocolate taste but which came lingering through afterwards.

I did go backwards in this thread a 'Snypers Micro Batches' - I read his comments.

Guess I'll have to venture Durbanville way again.. apparently Woolworths might have valilla pods ... and I did see cocoa nibs in Dischem - similar price.

Anyway thanks for your advise.

Comment

• Brewing one of my long awaited bucket list brews today - Boddingtons..
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X