X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi / CraftBeerPi DS18B20 sensor woes

Hi Guys

Any Raspberry Pi BIAB users here ?

I'm finding these DS 128B20 sensors to be utter crap. I've gone through 2 of them now with not too much use...
    Last one died mid mash so its really frustrating. It stops measuring temps above a certain temp all of a sudden, and gradually just gets worse.

I tested it again today and it started registering around 62 and by the end, it wouldn't even report temps above 50.
    I noticed the heat shrink around it actually cracked and that might be the cause (possibly got liquid inside).

What sensors are you using IF also using a Pi ? Or are you re-enforcing the DS18 prior to use?

Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
    Hi Guys

Any Raspberry Pi BIAB users here ?

I'm finding these DS 128B20 sensors to be utter crap. I've gone through 2 of them now with not too much use...
    Last one died mid mash so its really frustrating. It stops measuring temps above a certain temp all of a sudden, and gradually just gets worse.

I tested it again today and it started registering around 62 and by the end, it wouldn't even report temps above 50.
    I noticed the heat shrink around it actually cracked and that might be the cause (possibly got liquid inside).

What sensors are you using IF also using a Pi ? Or are you re-enforcing the DS18 prior to use?
    I have about 10 of them and never had one fail, except when I messed up the wiring and that was very obvious.

For brew kettle though you should be using a thermowell, not just dropping them in the mash/wort which it sounds like you are doing. They are not designed to be submerged.

Comment

Spot on, I'm was doing just that... stupid of me to think that heat shrink they put on would last.

Thanks Cam, I'll look at options for my protecting it better, or getting a thermowell.

Comment

I use DS18B20's for lightweight stuff. For mashing I have a K type thermocouple connected to a PID controller.
        The DS18B20's are a bit of a pain sometimes. I only use them now on my fermentation fridge running a PI with 2x DS18B20's.

Comment

I also had my DS18B20 die on me. Directly submerged. Not a huge issue for me though as I've moved on from BIAB quite a while back.
          Last couple of times I used the Pi and urn was to keep fermentation temps up (winter and / or Kveik brews).

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
            I use DS18B20's for lightweight stuff. For mashing I have a K type thermocouple connected to a PID controller.
            The DS18B20's are a bit of a pain sometimes. I only use them now on my fermentation fridge running a PI with 2x DS18B20's.
            Just be aware that k types typically have an error range of +- 1 to 2 degrees Celsius which can be a problem if you are mashing towards the higher temps.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X