Neipa hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
    Whats your and Beerholic's ratio between whirlpool and dry hop?

30% at whirlpool, 30% during primary fermentation and 40% dry hop. This does not include my bittering addition.
    For me this seems to work the best, however it may differ for others.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      The times you see is the times I used .... no whirlpool or hopstand.

and yes no-chill, but already worked into the equipment profile, so what you see is what i'll get in my final product.

If you had to input that same amounts and times into a profile that chills the wort, you'll get way lover numbers ... that person will then have to up their amounts to match my recipe.

I don't do the +20min thing anymore and have not for many months already ... well ever since Beersnith v3 was released.
      I was thinking about this 20min time adjustment for no-chill.. but this value is also an assumption. Hop oils are extracted from boiling till about 50C - though at a much lesser rate at cooler temps.. but you'll know all this. Point I'm making is: This 20min must take into account the time it takes for the no-chill cube to go from almost boiling to say 50C. If one would plonk the cube in a swimming pool in winter, then 50C will be reached much sooner than the other extreme leaving the cube to cool in a warm summer baked room - the latter will extract more hop bitterness then the winter method. I know I'm overthinking again..

Comment

^ True

That's why I work on a bittering carryover of 30min, meaning I "assume" my cube will be above 70C (I work on 70 not 50) for about 30min ...

I used to have this at the max of 45min but then there's no room to play as increasing the time above 45min in Beersmith makes absolutely no change to the recipe.

This setting:
        Screenshot_17.jpg

* So a normal 5g @ 17.7% Galaxy on a 30min boil will give 7.2IBU's ...

with my setting of a 30min carryover to the cube (where it will steep) that same hop addition is now 8.2 IBU's ...

* So just by no-chilling im adding 1 IBU extra (calculated as that hop addition extracting more as it steeps in the cube for 30min above 70C)

Now I suppose this doesn't count if you use a hop bag and actually pull out all the hops at flame out ??

This setting in Beersmith works for me and Im happy with a 30min setting as the cube seems to drop from boiling temp to 70 in about that time frame. Works ok for winter ... now in summer i will play the the time between 30-45min ... like I said after 45min it calculates no extra IBU's ... so even if the cube takes 120min to cool to 70, It no use to input 120min into BS.
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

<>
          Will be trying this with my next NEIPA, but wanted to ask if anyone has any experience dip hopping?
          <>
          Nope

<>
          What I tried today was letting it cool to 80c and transferred into cube on my hops. No chill version of whirlpool kinda.

There is a risk of infection by chilling to 80, but meh lets see if it beers.
          I've cooled to 80 and transferred to cube on hops many times ... also no infection yet that i know of, so you should be ok ... touch wood

----------------------------------------------------------

Here's a "Dip-Hop" video ? ....

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Whats your and Beerholic's ratio between whirlpool and dry hop?
            From my last NEIPA

Hop Stand @ ~80c
            Citra - 40g
            Galaxy - 40g
            Mosiac - 40g

1st Dryhop at high krausen
            Citra - 28g
            Galaxy - 40g
            Mosiac - 28g

2nd Dryhop 3 days before keg
            Citra - 28g
            Galaxy - 40g
            Mosiac - 28g

Comment

Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
              From my last NEIPA

Hop Stand @ ~80c
              Citra - 40g
              Galaxy - 40g
              Mosiac - 40g

Citra - 28g
              Galaxy - 40g
              Mosiac - 28g

Citra - 28g
              Galaxy - 40g
              Mosiac - 28g
              how was it? I'm going to split my dry hop and do a DDH like you. thanks for the feedback.

BTW you still need to come fetch your hops Rikus

Comment

Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                From my last NEIPA

Hop Stand @ ~80c
                Citra - 40g
                Galaxy - 40g
                Mosiac - 40g

Citra - 28g
                Galaxy - 40g
                Mosiac - 28g

Citra - 28g
                Galaxy - 40g
                Mosiac - 28g
                This looks AWESOME!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

how was it? I'm going to split my dry hop and do a DDH like you. thanks for the feedback.
                  BTW you still need to come fetch your hops Rikus
                  I'm with you (Beerholic and Rikus) on that DDH method. That Verdant video where they omit the 1st DH coz there's enough from the whirlpool had me lifting my eyebrow. Maybe trade secret revealed - so they try and cover it up.. Dunno.
                  Also if one considders hops for whirlpooling - they'll get the heat treatment and still loose hop oils due to evaporation.. so adding a fresh dump of hops at high krausen creating that bio transformation makes sense to me.. not the verdant version.

Comment

Does one cold crash and /or gelatine fine a NEIPA ? Just thinking of the hazyness

Comment

• I don't fine, but it do cold crash to drop out yeast and loose hops. Haze shouldn't drop out from a cold crash alone...

Comment

• Cool. Cold crash .. no fining.
                        I'll do just that, THX

Comment

• No cold crasn, no irish moss, no gelatine.
                          NEIPA is the only one I use a large hop bag for dry hopping, else I just chuck it in.
                          Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• I also only cold crash my NEIPA's I found that I had excessive hop bite and floaters otherwise.

I did some reading on it and basically what was explained was that bitter hop matter adhere to yeast in suspension and causes excessive astrigency or hop bite. Thats also why the new research says to soft crash to atleast 15C to drop out most of the yeast before dry hopping and only to dry hop at the tail end 9f fermentation.

My last NEIPA was DDH at high krausen and keg hopped. I think I will stick to keg hopping going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                              ...My last NEIPA was DDH at high krausen and keg hopped. I think I will stick to keg hopping going forward.
                              How did you do the keg hopping? In one of those stainless tube? Left it in for the whole keg? Any tricks in purging the keg prior to keg hopping (given that you can't do a sanitizer flush to push out o2).

Comment

• Popped the top and added my hops in a steel tube then did a few purges and called it good tbh, not ideal but I have a semi plan

I keg ferment my NEIPA's so what I do is hook off my blow off tube to my serving keg and purge it like that, my plan for my next one is to add my dry hop to my serving keg as soon as it starts purging.

The problem is my blow off ends up in that keg, and i need to purge the gunk a few times, this sucks so for my next go around I will be investing in a kegland tee with a soda bottle. That way all the gunk ends up in there and all the co2 goes through.

Not really sure what the net effect will be of having hops suspended dry in a keg will be but will see.

If I could I would get a 6" tri clover sanke keg with an added pressure kit and a 2" triclover in the 6" lid. Then i would fashion some sort of hop cannon that would allow me to add hops to my keg o2 free. Maybe you can do something like that with yours?

Get a 4" to 6" adapter, add a 6" blank plate with 2" tri clover hole, ball lock posts and prv.

For the hop cannon you can do 4" sight glass with a 4" plate at the one end with added prv and gas post. Ons the other end you do 4" to 2" adapter with a butterfly valve and presto purgeable hop cannon.

All of this will require alot of drilling and welding and will cost a pretty penny thats why I havent pulled the trigger yet.

What do you think will this work? Or am I missing something?

Comment

Working...
                                X