No announcement yet.

Neipa hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that jigs just did a quick google and consenus looks to be it sucks for anything pre whirlpool with alot of astringency if used in the boil.

One post mentioned that it will chill out after 5-6 weeks in the keg.

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
      Thanks for that jigs just did a quick google and consenus looks to be it sucks for anything pre whirlpool with alot of astringency if used in the boil.

One post mentioned that it will chill out after 5-6 weeks in the keg.

Thanks for the heads up.
      Not gonna happen ... my keg is already ½ .. astringent or not, it's going down my cake-hole
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Hopefully the SMaSH is better ...

It's only 25IBU's with a 10min and FO additions

Got about 80g left ... will keep it for a DH in another brew

Comment

I find bio transformation works wonders in a NEIPA, since trying it I always do my NEIPA's that way.
          Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            The Galaxy hop doesn't give me a nice bittering like other hops.
            Interesting .. It has 17.7% AA .. maybe something to do with that.. Possibly exchange the bittering hops for an old faithfull .. Magnum or something like that.
            I need to rewatch The Apartment Brewer's Galaxy IPA and see what he had to say about his tasting notes. He seems to elaborate quite a bit into that.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
              I find bio transformation works wonders in a NEIPA, since trying it I always do my NEIPA's that way.
              There's a 2 part YT video from the Craft Beer Channel where the presenter Jonny chats w the master Brewer James from Verdant (Verdant IPA yeast!) where James claims they don't add hops during peak fermentation for bio tansformation as there has been enough hops added during the whirlpooling and these hops all go through ito the fermenter, creating the nessecary biotransformation goodness.

Comment

I watched the Galaxy video:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoFOJFSBNLM
                Watch from 22mins for the tasting note.
                Result is not conclusive.. he seems to like the bittering from Galaxy. Calls it smooth etc.. anyway.
                Then possibly issue lies with this particular harvest.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                  There's a 2 part YT video from the Craft Beer Channel where the presenter Jonny chats w the master Brewer James from Verdant (Verdant IPA yeast!) where James claims they don't add hops during peak fermentation for bio tansformation as there has been enough hops added during the whirlpooling and these hops all go through ito the fermenter, creating the nessecary biotransformation goodness.

Each to his own, I will keep doing it the way I have been doing it.
                  The reason being is that when I add plenty of hops during whirlpool vs adding the same hops and amount during fermentation, I find that adding it during fermnetation gives more aroma and flavour.
                  This is my experience and I have tested this a few times.

What I am trying to say is don't just except what is stated, try it ourself and then do what you find to be best.
                  BeerHolic
                  Last edited by BeerHolic; 30 November 2021, 12:51.
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Damn quote not working again (WTF happened to getting that sorted with a firmware upgrade?)

Interesting .. It has 17.7% AA .. maybe something to do with that..
                    Im not sure ... I used high AA hops before without problems ...

This was only 5g at 30min and 15g at 20min that could really contribute to bitterness ... the other additions was more aroma/flavour, although it still made a massive contribution to the total IBU's

Screenshot_16.jpg

Comment

The reason being is that when I add plenty of hops during whirlpool vs adding the same hops and amount during fermentation, I find that adding it during fermnetation gives more aroma and flavour.

What I am trying to say is don't just except what is stated, try it ourself and then do what you find to be best.
                      This aligns with my experience as well - I think it's down to the differences in scale of operation. Brewing doesn't scale linearly when going from homebrew to full on production scale. Whirlpooling in a full on production setup would be quite different to homebrew scale I think. That amount of water will retain much more heat. I suspect the whirlpool itself is also more effective in purpose build tanks/pumps etc.

Comment

Your method makes sense though. This is how I always thought about neipa hopping procedures. The statement that verdant omit their fermentation/biotransformation hopping was odd to me - anyway, I have not brewed a neipa yet .. just been websurfing recipes and methodologies.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          Im not sure ... I used high AA hops before without problems ...
                          This was only 5g at 30min and 15g at 20min that could really contribute to bitterness ... the other additions was more aroma/flavour, although it still made a massive contribution to the total IBU's
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3713[/ATTACH]
                          Yes, the IBUs do add up quickly.. did you do a whirlpool or hopstand ?
                          Haaaa... you do no-chill right ? mmmm .. +20mins ?
                          AlexBrew
                          Last edited by AlexBrew; 30 November 2021, 17:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
                            This aligns with my experience as well - I think it's down to the differences in scale of operation. Brewing doesn't scale linearly when going from homebrew to full on production scale. Whirlpooling in a full on production setup would be quite different to homebrew scale I think. That amount of water will retain much more heat. I suspect the whirlpool itself is also more effective in purpose build tanks/pumps etc.
                            Whats your and Beerholic's ratio between whirlpool and dry hop?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                              Yes, the IBUs do add up quickly.. did you do a whirlpool or hopstand ?
                              Haaaa... you do no-chill right ? mmmm .. +20mins ?

The times you see is the times I used .... no whirlpool or hopstand.

and yes no-chill, but already worked into the equipment profile, so what you see is what i'll get in my final product.

If you had to input that same amounts and times into a profile that chills the wort, you'll get way lover numbers ... that person will then have to up their amounts to match my recipe.

I don't do the +20min thing anymore and have not for many months already ... well ever since Beersnith v3 was released.

Comment

With no chill Ive found that my cube whirlpool can really muck up my ibu's and muddle my flavors, been doing a bit of research and it seems hop dipping can potentially help here and replace my whirlpool addition.

Will be trying this with my next NEIPA, but wanted to ask if anyone has any experience dip hopping?

What I tried today was letting it cool to 80c and transferred into cube on my hops. No chill version of whirlpool kinda.

There is a risk of infection by chilling to 80, but meh lets see if it beers.

Comment

Working...
                                X