No announcement yet.

Apple concentrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also have a batch sitting on Midtbust kveik at the moment. Should be almost done. I'm hoping it will be better than the previous batch,

Comment

Yeah I see those concentrates that Brewmart sells is more than twice the price from the other source I had, but at least then you can buy 5l quantities, and not 20l in one shot. It also seems to be exactly the same - 70 Brix, no additives, just clarified apple juice concentrate, so I'd recommend that. I'm strongly considering buying a bottle from Brewmart and using that + table sugar to build an alcohol base for an apple brandy. Soon...

Comment

Did yours go cloudy during fermentation, or did I do something wrong (again)?

Comment

It'll go cloudy as hell, yes, just like beer. Give it a clarifying agent (gelatin should work) and it should clear. In my experience ciders does clear harder than beers though.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            It'll go cloudy as hell, yes, just like beer. Give it a clarifying agent (gelatin should work) and it should clear. In my experience ciders does clear harder than beers though.
            +1 it's normal

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Alrighty, started a cider this morning with the concentrate I got above. I don't know the volume I achieved (the fermenter doesn't have markings), but I got a damn lot of juice at 1.046 OG. So I'm hoping for a cider between 5.5% ABV and 6% ABV.
              How much did you pay for the 5L concentrate and where did you get it ?.
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post

How much did you pay for the 5L concentrate and where did you get it ?.
                I'm guessing Brewmart- it's where I got mine as well.

Comment

Nope mine was from Euroberry. I know a guy who has an account there and they bought a 25kg drum (about 20l). This was a while ago and he sold to me at what it cost them, so it was an absolute steal. I believe it's the same stuff as from Brewmart, just a LOT cheaper. I think he said latest price is R32 per kg, ex vat, and around 6kg is used to make a 30l batch of cider, so it's a bargain.

I want to buy another container with him, but need people to split it with.

Comment

I sometimes make cider for my wife.
                    I buy the apples and then use the juicer to extract the juice.
                    The final product is about 12L and the apples cost me abour R75.
                    ABV is about 5%

Other ingredients is elderflower and lime. Erythritol is used for back sweetening.
                    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

So your method costs about the same as the concentrate I use, my concentrate is just a lot less work? Anyway, if someone wants to pitch in and split a drum of juice, let me know. We have half of it sold already. I want to make an apple brandy with some as well.

Onto the cider - it's slowing down now. Last night the smell overwhelmed me and I took a gravity reading. Was down to 1.022, so over halfway done. I then put the test tube in the fridge and had a taste. It tasted like apple juice, and that's it, weird considering it was close to 3% ABV already. This stuff is going to be great, I just know it!

Comment

So your method costs about the same as the concentrate I use, my concentrate is just a lot less work? Anyway, if someone wants to pitch in and split a drum of juice, let me know. We have half of it sold already. I want to make an apple brandy with some as well.

Onto the cider - it's slowing down now. Last night the smell overwhelmed me and I took a gravity reading. Was down to 1.022, so over halfway done. I then put the test tube in the fridge and had a taste. It tasted like apple juice, and that's it, weird considering it was close to 3% ABV already. This stuff is going to be great, I just know it!
                        I wouldn't mind another 5L- what is your timeline like? I'd be looking for in maybe mid - late Feb or March.

Comment

I'd have to wait a month or two myself, recover a bit from the new year's and all that, so that timeline does sound good. I'll keep this thread update (and perhaps post elsewhere as well).

Regarding my cider, I believe it's done. The one thing I learned from this endeavour is that Kveik does NOT like fructose, it seems. The initial blast of sulphur I got from the fermentation was pretty hectic, and had me worried for a good day straight. I kept feeding the yeast with Fermaid O though (3 feeds in total, after the initial slurry pitch) and I'm certain it helped.

After the 3rd day or so the sulphur died down, and I was left with a sour-ish note that has a very strong hit of fresh apple, which is amazing. I checked this morning and saw the airlock barely rising by now so I'm pretty sure I'm either done, or very close to it. I'll leave it another day or three in there so settle out and probably get it cold crashing, racked and stabilized on Monday. I'll also have to empty out my 30l keg again so I can get the cider in there to condition it for a few weeks before I carbonate it.

Comment

Mine was pressure fermented with Midtbust. I used DAP for nutrients- double the amount I normally use for same size beer batches.
                            Mine went into the keezer last night for cold crashing, will probably transfer this afternoon to a keg. I also kind get the feeling that the kveik doesn't really like the cider, it was rather laggy. It did drop out very nicely and is already semi clear.

So far it smells and tastes much better than the previous batch (also lower in alcohol, should be around 5%, but I'm lazy to measure FG, so... Guess I'll do that today or something). That batch itself wasn't too bad , not great but not bad, so it may not be perfect yet but at least I'm making progress.

Comment

Yeah so I've made a few ciders before, and all but one actually failed (well, failed in my eyes). The one that worked was a Mangrove Jack's pouch kit, and that cider was incredible. I'm making my latest using this concentrate as I've tasted a cider made with this concentrate before and it was sublime, tasting quite a bit like the Strongbow Gold cider I'm quite fond of. It's way tastier than Savannah as well, and I'm hoping I treated it right doing it with Lutra.

Comment

Deleted, irrelevant
                                hopingmadinZam
                                Last edited by hopingmadinZam; 17 January 2022, 14:22.

Comment

Working...
                                X