Apple concentrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maputo_Brew View Post
    This is my attempt at a cider (before bottling) using store bought juice. Fermented with Lutra for 3 days, cold crashed and gelatine for 2 days (used way too much and clogged the fermenter-2l coke bottle- had to filter before bottling 1.2L of cider).

Back sweetened with Stevia and added some dextrose and apple juice to carbonate. Hope it will clear. Tasted like a 5% apple juice.
    I must make an attempt to try something like this again.. I've still got some dry Cider yeast..

Comment

Kegged the cider, drinking the excess.. dry but you can drink it. Went for 4-5 table spoons of sweetener per “gallon

Comment

2 weeks, cleared and carbed nicely.

Man it's gorgeous and dry...

filedata/fetch?id=73139&d=1648915736&type=thumb
        Attached Files
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        Maputo_Brew
        Last edited by Maputo_Brew; 3 April 2022, 04:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post

I want to buy another container with him, but need people to split it with.
          When?? How much? The wife and friends got addicted to the test cider i made and she has ordered me to produce cider in the same quantities as beer. Meaning at least 4 cases (24L) must be filled before May arrives.

How long does this stuff keep?
          thinking about getting 2x6l

Comment

The stuff I got was manufactured somewhere in 2020. It was just stored cold (as per instructions, it should actually be stored frozen). I, however, stored it at room temperature for a good week or so before I used it, and it was still good. I used 5kg to make a 30l batch, but I suspect I overdid it a bit. The stuff sits at 72 Brix, so that's 1.37 on the SG scale. That's so high, the hydrometer can't even measure it.

I worked on a simple dilution calculator and I overshot it a bit. I suspect you can make around 30 litres using 4kg of that concentrate, and then use 1kg to backsweeten to taste, although I think 1kg is way too much. You can just dilute the rest and drink it as juice. The cans come in 25kgs each, and they run around R1,000 for a can, which isn't too bad considering you can make 5 batches of cider from it.

That's the last time I got prices. I'll have to find new ones before I can order again, and then I should be fine repackaging it in 5kg buckets and freeze it for whoever wants. It excludes yeast and chemicals to stabilize, obviously, so that'll have to be added as well, but at least it's cheaper than some places charging R400 for the same amount (this would work out to around R250-ish, and it'll be readily available).

I won't order right now, need to recover a bit financially from the last year and a bit's issues, but things are looking up now, so perhaps in the next month or two.

Comment

Glad that you are recovering. Covid was a stress on most of us.

I might have to fork those 400 if no one wants to share a can.

I used lutra top crop and came out lovely.

Comment

I made my cider with Lutra and it took a while to condition. I'll use a wine or cider yeast in the future, and I'll suggest the same to anyone else.

Comment

Again, temp control is an issue for me.

There are so many yeasts i want to try...

Comment

Toxxyc
                    Toxxyc let me know when you're going to order again. Would like to try another cider for the wife.

Promised myself I wouldn't make another batch before I have a working keg system, but she asks about cider every now and then.

Comment

I actually made ciders in bottles for a while, and now made one in the keg. I think I prefer the bottles. The keg is nice and everything, but bottles can stand for longer without occupying a tap, which is what the cider now does :P

Comment

My problem is to stop the yeast and then to bottle condition. It just doesn't work well for me.

As you say, they have to stand and condition for a long time before they're at their best.

Comment

Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                          My problem is to stop the yeast and then to bottle condition. It just doesn't work well for me.

As you say, they have to stand and condition for a long time before they're at their best.
                          Why not? I sweetened with Stevia, carbed with dextrose and it was very very nice. I had no need to kill the yeast.

Comment

Originally posted by Maputo_Brew View Post

Why not? I sweetened with Stevia, carbed with dextrose and it was very very nice. I had no need to kill the yeast.
                            Yours is only 2 weeks in the bottles ... what was that FG ... as bottle bombs can still happen
                            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post

Yours is only 2 weeks in the bottles ... what was that FG ... as bottle bombs can still happen
                              They are all over. Consumed eagerly by 4 thirsty ladies.

Honestly i don't know my FG. Broke the hydrometer a few days before (ordered 2, should arrive tonight).

Flied by the seat of my pants and my experience with Lutra. 3rd day I crashed, fined, 5th day backsweetened with stevia, added priming sugar and more apple juice, bottled and that was that.

6th day was already nicely carbed but cloudy. 15th day was cleared but highly carbed. Was lovely.

Already doing another batch.

Comment

Originally posted by RudiC View Post
                                Toxxyc
                                Toxxyc let me know when you're going to order again. Would like to try another cider for the wife.

Promised myself I wouldn't make another batch before I have a working keg system, but she asks about cider every now and then.
                                This is what i used for the last 3 batches: https://www.beerplus.co.za/product/a...e-25l/3371/267

Site says out of stock, but call them and they will tell you they have stock. 2,5l is enough for 21l at about 1040 og (from my experience).

I have made 2 batches and have enough for 2 more. They are occupying my bottles as wife is a very slow drinker.

Comment

Working...
                                X