No announcement yet.

Whisky washes and ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah exactly. I used to be stingy and made VERY wide cuts, essentially just cutting foreshots, and then saving everything from there all the way down even into the tails. Result was safe to drink after a few runs, but tasted pretty strongly of too wide cuts.

Now I'm cutting foreshots and then placing a very strict cut between the heads and the hearts, and then a few cuts in between down to tails. I'm not sure what the yield will be, but I can't wait to age it.

EDIT: Oh yes, and a question - in an effort to get more alcohol out, I'm saving everything except the foreshots. Everything except the hearts goes into the next run, where I then separate the hearts out again. That's fine, right? It seems to work right now.

Comment

‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎
      groenspookasem
      Banned
      Last edited by groenspookasem; 29 March 2021, 12:02.

Comment

To date my feints runs have actually been my nicer whiskey/Brandy's. It says something for the triple distilling it gets
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Yeah I was a bit sad over the actual, useable volume I got from all that distilling, but then I looked up and saw all those heads, tails, feints, leftover bits and bobs that I'll just distill again. There's less loss if you look at it that way.

Anyway, the yield I got after measuring and tasting and blending and watering down was 1 litre of white spirit at 43% ABV, and 3 litres of white spirit at 55% ABV. The 3 litre bottle got some oak and the 1 litre bottle got some cheat rum flavouring, to see how it tastes (previous one I made wasn't bad, but I ended up having to use A LOT more flavouring to get where I wanted to be). This one is spot on, the smell at least seems to be exactly where I want it, so I can't wait to taste it. Letting it sit for a bit first though.

I'll be making a new rum wash as well hopefully this weekend still. Brown sugar, molasses, water, yeast. I'll probably pop by the brew shop here on Thursday to pick up some yeast to use for rum, as the yeast I had is more for grain whisky and didn't work very well for the rum I made. I'll get some rum yeast and get it over with.

I'll also be using the dunder from that batch of rum to start the next one. Apparently it's a thing, where you can create "generations" of rum using the dunder from the previous batch, similar to how sour mash whisky is made, and it apparently boosts the flavour a lot. Sugar and molasses is cheap, so there's no harm in trying, and I like me some rum. Want to get a good hearts cut to make a smooth few rums, people are asking me "how much per bottle" already. I need to get my license.

Comment

Working...
          X