winemaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winemaking

Out of curiosity does anyone on the forum also make wine?
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

I've got a grape vine that I'm going to harvest in Feb and see if I can whip up a wine. I've been watering it almost exclusively with recycled beer and spent grains and last year's grapes were amazing.
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

Comment

I made wine from mine last Feb, wine was pretty good. This year the heat killed my main vine, had to plant again

Comment

Would love to try it some day.
        Most of the Canadian beer brewers also make wine & apparently it's easier than beer, especially using the kits.
        They also rave about how cheap it is, but I don't really find the kits here in SA something to be called cheap
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Dave at national food products is looking at importing reasonably priced kits next year. So might be worth it. Would love to try a kit, but brewcraft is the only place that stocks 30 bottle kits and they work out about the same as cheap wine...

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
            I've got a grape vine that I'm going to harvest in Feb and see if I can whip up a wine. I've been watering it almost exclusively with recycled beer and spent grains and last year's grapes were amazing.
            Recycled beer ?
            If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, use as many of the goodies below as required to fix it!
            ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
            abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789

Comment

There is a company somewhere in stellenbosch that supplies grape juice from local vineyards to home wine makers
              If you see spelling mistakes in my posts, use as many of the goodies below as required to fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by defender110 View Post
                Recycled beer ?
                I drink lots of homebrew then I'm too lazy too walk to the toilet so I vacate my bladder on the vine. Best grapes I've had.

Comment

Originally posted by defender110 View Post
                  There is a company somewhere in stellenbosch that supplies grape juice from local vineyards to home wine makers

Do you have a name for them? The only place I've found sells enough to make 60 bottles for R4000 without transport...

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                    Do you have a name for them? The only place I've found sells enough to make 60 bottles for R4000 without transport...

Distillique has some DIY kits that is not nearly that expensive

http://distillique.co.za/distilling_shop/32-diy-kits

Comment

Distillique has some DIY kits that is not nearly that expensive

http://distillique.co.za/distilling_shop/32-diy-kits

True, but the kit contains yeast, yeast nutrient, steriliser, oak chips, clarifier, an airlock, a fermenter and stabiliser. Bought one. Its awesome for when you have fruit at home or access to decent juice. Used it to make 12 bottles of Catawba Rosť from my own grapevine. Barbeton 's weather isn't good for european wine grapes, so that's all I can grow. Brewcraft has a range of wine expert kits that go for 865 and make 30 bottles of medium bodied wine, but have yet to try them...

Comment

I only whine when my beer glass is empty.

Beer is way more complex in all respects: taste, process, etc

Comment

I've always found winemaking to be an art while beer brewing is more of a science. With wine its very hard to make good wine from anything but good ingriedients. With beer you can make good beer from even marginal ingredients...IMHO

Comment

I drink lots of homebrew then I'm too lazy too walk to the toilet so I vacate my bladder on the vine. Best grapes I've had.
                            Lol ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                              I found them online a while ago and an in depth search today didn't bring them up , sorry
                              I do know that my wife's cousin , who makes wine at home , actually goes to wine farms and books the production of a certain section ( row , block or whatever ) and then harvests it himself for his wine making

Comment

Working...
                              X