Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air lock and packet of yeast

Hey guys,

So I have an extra air lock at home (bought two when I wanted to make mead in small bottles - bad idea), and I doubt I'm ever going to use it (I have enough now). Also have a packet (5g) of Fermentis SafCider yeast that has apparently expired in July 2017 or something. I had two of these packs - the other one worked like a charm. I know it's not much, but whoever wants it can come pick it up in Pretoria (Waverley area) or in Fourways at my office (near Fourways Mall). No use in letting it sit in the cupboard for how long.

Personally I would save the bubbler and chuck the yeast. Bubblers break and it is handy to have a extra few around. I own around 12....

Comment

Think so? OK then. The yeast I'll keep in the cupboard a bit longer since it worked really well with a last project I did, and I'm hoping to do a tiny batch of cider in the future - which it might just be perfect for. Anyway, will keep the bubbler. I actually checked and see I have two different sizes already. The one I got in my kit doesn't actually fit the kit, so I had to use a smaller one :P

Fine then, will keep the bubbler and repurpose or toss the yeast. It's worth very little to nothing anyway.

Comment

Yeast dies as it ages (as we all do). The less living yeast in a packet, the longer the beverage will take to start showing signs of fermentation. This delay may cause off notes, as the yeast take longer to grow to the correct numbers and thereby use up more nutrients that should have been available during the other phases of fermentation.

Thus, with expired packs you have a chance of making a product that is not very good.
        Options
        1: Dump it
        2: Add extra yeast
        3. Make a yeast starter
        4: Make smaller cider (as mentioned)

NOTE: Store yeast in the fridge, not freezer or cupboard.

The bigger bubbler is strange. I have never seen different sizes. Please post a pic.

What I did (and the reason for so many bubblers) is that I have a large collection of 1 gallon (~4.5 liter) jugs that I brew experiments in. The caps/lids have a hole drilled in and a grommet so that I can insert bubblers.

Comment

Yeah I got the yeast from a LHBS when I started with this whole endeavour of mine in December. I wanted to make a mead (don't ask), and the shop didn't have the correct yeasts and and and so I ended up getting two packs of just-expired yeast from the shop. Since the batch was so small (1.5l in total), I pitched a hole packet of yeast for the lot. It was enough and worked like a charm, and I ended up with a mead right now that still has to age, but kicks like a damn mule.

So, on my options:

1: I'm a gatherer (to the dismay of my wife). I pretty much never toss something unless it harmful to keep it (or I get told to toss it by SWAMBO). Not an option :P
          2~4: Will probably combine these options into one. Use the whole packet to make a starter for a small batch of test brew. :P

On the air lock - it's not a large difference in size, but the one is definitely bigger. If I remember to take a pic, I will. The smaller ones I have are these exact ones: https://cdn.midwestsupplies.com/medi...-type_mod_.jpg

The larger one comes from the Mangrove Jack's kit. It's slightly larger, and definitely wider in the base. It looks like this one (same clear cap and all): https://www.homebrewshop.co.nz/wp-co...k-300x300.jpeg

The difference between the two is, like mentioned, not much, but the Mangrove Jack's one is definitely larger. It is too large to fit the "top hat" style rubber grommet that I use, and would have required A LOT of force to go into the grommet. It's also made of a harder plastic and, in my opinion, shitter. I've filled it with water and tried to force it into the grommet and with the movement on the fermenter I saw that the bubbling through it is inconsistent and not reliable. It's almost like the tubing it's made of has blockages or something in it. I'm not using it and doubt I ever will, so I actually considered to toss it (but read number 1 up top).

EDIT: Oh, and I brewed the mead in 750ml whisky bottles with screw tops. Drilled holes in the caps, fitted bubblers and off it went. I am strongly considering brewing in some 5l water jugs now though. All indicators says it'll be fine as long as it's 1st or 2nd run plastic, and not more times recycled.

Comment

If the bubblers are near identical then a pic is not required. If you *really* want to you can get a grommet with a larger ID.

I am a gatherer.. of sorts. I have managed to throw/give away A LOT of stuff, but I still have a lot of stuff. Storage units cost ~R400 pm. It is an easy sell ("all the winter/xmas stuff will be stored away") and then you can store a lot of extra stuff there to make space for important brewing stuff in the house/garage.

Instead of plastic, rather go to consol and buy some large glass containers and buy extra lids. Sell: "You can store flour and pastas in them". Make some caps ready for use during fermentation. Use as required. If the bottles are not being used for flour, store in store room.

Guess who has been doing this a while?

IMPORTANT: At some point your wife will start taking interest in your hobby. This is good, but pay close attention as it may be a rouse! If she suggests that you buy a large, near professional quality food processing machine because it has a mill attachment "that will make your brewing SOOOO much easier", you are being played. HOWEVER! If you can afford it, BUY IT! She will have a big fancy toy, she will feel smart for outwitting you, and you have access to more freshly baked cupcakes than you can want for! Side note: You will never use the mill attachment as it mills too fine - except if you go BIAB, then you can.

Comment

Have you seen what Consol charges for glass these days? I queried 440ml brown glass bottles from them the other day - BrewCraft is cheaper per bottle (and significantly so).

I have a place close to me that'll mill purchased grains for free, so I'm sorted on that front, to be honest. Wife is taking an interest, but I have to slow down the jabbering about it since I think I might be annoying her. The interest in cider is purely for her as well, to be honest. While I enjoy a cider myself, she's the real fan of Savannah, so that's what I hope to mimic one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                Have you seen what Consol charges for glass these days? I queried 440ml brown glass bottles from them the other day - BrewCraft is cheaper per bottle (and significantly so).
                Honestly no. My wife has a glass addiction, so asking her to buy something extra still means that my request is the cheapest items!

I also have a collection of about 200 440 ml bottles, so I do not buy bottles any more. Good to hear that brewcraft is cheaper!

Comment

Heh. 200 bottles is good and plenty. I have my first 48, and they were R200 already.

Comment

Toxxyc

Since my kegging is now well on its way, I am planning on giving away some of my bottles. Already promised a bunch to someone, but as soon as he has collected I will see how much I can still get rid of. If you are willing to collect at that stage, I'll let you know how much is available
                    Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by pretorjn View Post
                      Toxxyc

Since my kegging is now well on its way, I am planning on giving away some of my bottles. Already promised a bunch to someone, but as soon as he has collected I will see how much I can still get rid of. If you are willing to collect at that stage, I'll let you know how much is available
                      Well Sir that would be awesome, thank you sincerely, but definitely not if someone else (more "valuable" to the forum, so to speak) needs them more. I'm new, don't want freebies just starting out and won't expect that either. So if they're in your way, I will definitely collect, but not at the expense of other members who might need them more!

Comment

All beer pigs are equal!!!!!!!!!!!
                        First come first served, so as soon as I know how much I have available I'll let you know
                        Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by pretorjn View Post
                          All beer pigs are equal!!!!!!!!!!!
                          First come first served, so as soon as I know how much I have available I'll let you know
                          Well, in that case, please! :P

Maybe one day I'll keg as well, but man, the horror stories I've been hearing sounds...dangerous

Comment

I’ve also got a ton of bottles and SAB crates, some in boxes.
                            Frankly they are just in my way. I’ve also switched to kegging. I usually fill 6 bottles, and the rest goes to the keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
                              I’ve also got a ton of bottles and SAB crates, some in boxes.
                              Frankly they are just in my way. I’ve also switched to kegging. I usually fill 6 bottles, and the rest goes to the keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              I honestly wouldn't mind, specially those with crates. They'll give me something secure to store the bottles in before they head to the fridge (as opposed to loosely packing them in the pantry). Would you mind if I send you a PM on the matter?

PS: It's the first time where I want to give something away and people end up offering me stuff instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X