This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Yeah that one sucks! I did learn one other thing yesterday. I had a double brew day with a guy who's never done all drain before and the penny finally dropped for me I can brew 2 batches, 2x different beers in 5h or just 1 in 4h. Im going to be brewing less frequently from now on

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    For the win.

But I hope 'all-drain' is not a Freudian slip, and you intend your double brews to be drinkable!
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Shit i couldn't have planned that any better after my misshap on friday. Nope ill be keeping these ones for consumption

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
        Ok so it was not today but i had to calm down for 2 days before posting coz i would be banned for strong language.

I was being a good boy and sanitizing my fermenter between beers, about 7l into transfering the new beer to the keg i had a moment......
        I never dumped the Fking sanitizer. I did a taste test to confirm. And Yes i was an Idiot!
        I wasted 7l of beer..... i just sat there for like 15 minutes swearing and thinking, i could still drink that. But checking the warnings on the side of the sanitizer i decided to just chuck it and hate myself for a bit. One bonus is that i brewed a 25l batch so i still had 18l of beer so the keg was mostly full and i didnt need to bottle.

ouch, draining beer is never a good thing, at least your volume adjustment helped you out. you could've entered that sanitized beer into a competition? i'm sure there would have been a medal in there

i'm bumping my volume up again with a liter or two, just to take it out after a few minutes in the boil, it's for starter worts, need to propagate some yeast for drying / long term storage....

Comment

• Always double check the recipe before weighing out grains. Was supposed to brew a simple blonde tomorrow. It will now be an blonde weiss.

Comment

• I learned about dunk sparging. Because I ordered grains off a v1 recipe of mine, I ordered too little so now I'm hunting efficiency in order to not have to cut the litres.

Started reading about it on Wednesday and then, as if it's a sign, read @toxxyc comments in the large qty thread. So tomorrow I'll be doing a double dip ' n ouma dunk sparge for my marzen. Crossing fingers!

Comment

• OK so my method relies not only on the dunk, but also on the squeeze. I sparge/dunk in cooler water to assist with this, as too hot and you can't squeeze that well. I have also taken to incorporating a second dunk now. So I mash and then dunksparge TWICE. I find it extracts more with less effort.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                OK so my method relies not only on the dunk, but also on the squeeze. I sparge/dunk in cooler water to assist with this, as too hot and you can't squeeze that well. I have also taken to incorporating a second dunk now. So I mash and then dunksparge TWICE. I find it extracts more with less effort.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes!
                Yeah I've been squeezing all along, so will just do squeeze / dunk / squeeze / dunk / squeeze

Thanks!

Comment

• reiterated mash can do wonders

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                    reiterated mash can do wonders
                    I just stumbled onto this principle a few minutes ago on another website.

Comment

• Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      reiterated mash can do wonders
                      Been there, done that. I hate it. I found it a sticky mess compared to just boosting the grain bill to get a much higher gravity. Yes, I've only done it once, and maybe that's why, but still I found it a tedious, long-winded process I'm not a fan of.

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                        Yeah I've been squeezing all along, so will just do squeeze / dunk / squeeze / dunk / squeeze

Thanks!
                        So in the end I only did 1 dunk.. Was scared I wasn't going to have enough water. The dunk was quite sloppy porridge in the end, but it did get me an extra 1.5l (for same preboil gravity) so definitely works.

Edit: doing the calcs it looks like it took my efficiency from 68 to 80. Not bad for an extra 10 mins dunk and 5 min squeeze. Dunksparge FTW!
                        BruHaha
                        Last edited by BruHaha; 31 January 2021, 14:38.

Comment

• The Kegland keg (left) is truly slimline vs the second hand slimline. If i get another and remove the door racks i could fit in 3!

Comment

• What I learned today - When brewing a Weiss - Add lots of Rice hulls.... Don't even try it without it.
                            Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

• BIAB no rice hulls required.
                              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                                So in the end I only did 1 dunk.. Was scared I wasn't going to have enough water. The dunk was quite sloppy porridge in the end, but it did get me an extra 1.5l (for same preboil gravity) so definitely works.

Edit: doing the calcs it looks like it took my efficiency from 68 to 80. Not bad for an extra 10 mins dunk and 5 min squeeze. Dunksparge FTW!
                                So a question to the two dunkspargers....

I typically have 4.8kg grain in my bag which I then 'pour through' with 1.5L warm water, and then repeat. If I were to become a dunksparger:

1. ~How much water would I need to put in the container before dunking (I would guess alot more than 1.5L?)
                                2. And if you do it twice, do you dunk-squeeze-pour into BK-add clean dunk water-dunk-squeeze. [or do you dunk back into the pre-dunked runoff?]

You have probably covered this in detail somewhere else... but Im lazy
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                                X