Ginger ale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger ale.

I do not want to hijack the other thread.
    Going to start a new thread to discuss my uber spicy winter ginger ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
    How sensitive are you to chilies? I would understand if you said one ghost chili, but one jalapeno sounds like a waste of time. You will get more burn from the ginger than the chili.

Do you want heat or flavour? If you want heat and a little bit of flavour, then do the following:
    1. Buy vodka, not the top shelf stuff, but not no-name brand
    2. Buy chilies. The type that you consider a comfortable heat
    3. Buy latex gloves
    4. Taste vodka. Very important.
    5. Put on gloves This is more important than tasting the vodka. Leaving out this step can lead to you walking like a cowboy.
    6. Cut chilies lengthwise and put into a 500 ml jar (Consol Jars work really well)
    7. When the jar is about 3/4 full, add vodka until the chilies are covered. Make sure there are no parts sticking out above the vodka
    8. Leave this mixture to become angry. 2 weeks is a good start
    9. Take a teaspoon, dip the tip of the teaspoon in the mix and taste. The heat should be noticeable
    10. Mixing: (Assuming you are bottling). Go to a bottle store and guy a ginger beer
    11. Using a dropper, add mix to the ginger beer (counting the drops) until the heat is right
    12. Do mathematics to see how much you need to add to your fermenter/bottling bucket to make it noticeable in your beer
    13. Mix, bottle, condition, enjoy.
    14. If you have mix left, you can bottle it (with the chilies if you want it to become stronger, giving it a name like "Gat Brand" or "Sterk Seun". Inevitably you will have someone at you have someone at your place who claims that they can drink anything. Give them half a tot and watch them become religious. I found a good blend can make you choose about 3 gods in an attempt to make the burning stop.
    Will half jack of the normal smirnof suffice?

Checkers does not have chillies. Might be getting out of season. My chilli plants are dead, so assuming farmers are having the same winter symptoms with their plants?

My bitters is bottled, and using the fridge to kickstart secondary at 18 degrees. In 10 days from now they will go to storage, then i will start the ginger ale.
    Will 10 days be enough for the chilli? Will i get the fruitiness of the chilli as well with the vodka or should i add some propylene glycol. Trying to boost some fruity esters from the chilli.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
      Steep the ginger in some Old Brown Sherry. I kid you not.
      How much ginger in how much obs?
      I bought one of those large bottles. Think it is 2 or 3L
      Going to use the glass for experimental brews.
      Then about the steeping. Assisted with heat, or just plain steeping. Just scared that the high alcohol level in obs will prevent secondary fermentation. So steeping in a slow cooker with water will prevent the steeping liquid from evaporating, and will kill the alcohol that will interfere with the yeast...

Comment

Ginger has been sitting for 2 weeks in the sherry. Chilli just over a week in the vodka.
        Curious about something. How do i know this stuff is sterile? Obs is 14% abv, and vodka is i think 45(ish)

Comment

Ps, can a mod please move this to general brewing? Not really a partial, and not exactly an extract. Sort of a "mengelmoes" of advice and ideas for a winter drink.

Comment

Working...
          X