• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beersmith Help/Mash terms

Hi Gents,

Hope all of you are doing well.

I have a quick question.

I am setting up my equipment on beersmith 2 and I just simply can not figure out the terms.

My query relates to the mash setup.

My setup is as follows:

From the HLT I add water to my mashtun at a certain temp, grains go in, I stir and let steep for set time. From mash I drain to Boiler. Then I fill up the mash again from the HLT with similar temp water. I add enough or even a little bit more in order to get the desired boil amount. I then let that sit for another ten or so minutes then drain into the boiler.

Can any of you brewheads tell me what the heck you would call that process on beersmith??

Thanks

WHO YOU CALLIN' A BREWHEAD?!?

What you are doing is called Batch Sparging. Beersmith will indicate this on your recipe as something like "add 25 liters @ 72C (66C)" This is your first mash (and from it you take first runnings to the kettle (the "correct" name for the boiler). Then Beersmith will list a second step "add 15 liters @ 82C (75C)". This will be your second step in the mash, usually called the mash out as you raise the temp.

You are correct in your steps, just the terminology is a bit off.

Very important: Beersmith works really well if you have your equipment set up correctly. And remember to tick the box that says "adjust temp for equipment" in the recipe.

In case you want to know WHERE to do this... it is done for you, but you can adjust it. If you have your recipe open, there is a tab at the top right that says Mash. You can play with those values to get the mash adjusted. You also play there if you want to do step mashes.

One last thing, before you brew any recipe off beersmith, check the temp values! (I think they are also under the Mash settings) I have had many afternoon mashes be too high because the grain temp and equipment temp is different from the morning/first beer.

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
      WHO YOU CALLIN' A BREWHEAD?!?
      Hahaha.... Would BREWMASTER be more to your liking?

You are correct in your steps, just the terminology is a bit off.
      Getting there.....

Very important: Beersmith works really well if you have your equipment set up correctly. And remember to tick the box that says "adjust temp for equipment" in the recipe.
      I do tick that box yes, thanks. Won't be able to figure this out by myself.

So there is an option for single infusion,(Full, medium, Light body), batch sparge. Will it then be one of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerneels View Post
        Hahaha.... Would BREWMASTER be more to your liking?

Personally I prefer Janitor, as it feels that that is the only thing that I doing!

Originally posted by Kerneels View Post
        So there is an option for single infusion,(Full, medium, Light body), batch sparge. Will it then be one of them?
        Single infusion is only an option if your mashtun is big enough. Most of us with 3 vessels use batch sparging. Single infusion is used by the BIAB brewers.

The Body options are temps that your mash will be at.

As far as I know, Beersmith automatically uses batch sparging and it will calculate the mash for you, adding steps as required.

Unfortunately I am at the office now, so I can't verify the settings.

Maybe this video can help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ0TFtMnzxs

Comment

Thanks JANITOR, I will check out the video.

Comment

Single infusion is only an option if your mashtun is big enough. Most of us with 3 vessels use batch sparging. Single infusion is used by the BIAB brewers.
            I stand to be corrected on this, but the way I have always understood it is that single infusion refers to a single mash temp for the entire mash (apart from mash out). The sparging step then follows.
            BIAB is also a single infusion mash, but with no sparging step.

Comment

Originally posted by robcass View Post
              I stand to be corrected on this, but the way I have always understood it is that single infusion refers to a single mash temp for the entire mash (apart from mash out). The sparging step then follows.
              BIAB is also a single infusion mash, but with no sparging step.
              correct
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
              X