Pressure Fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    Volume in corney is limited, that's more of a worry than anything else.
    Valid point... Less beer!

On a digression about no chill:.
    Could one just seal glad wrap or something similar atop the kettle, with some provision for expansion/contraction, and no chill directly in there like that?
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      Volume in corney is limited, that's more of a worry than anything else.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
      Very true, I wonder if I can ferment in my 30 or 50 L sankey kegs [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
        Valid point... Less beer!

On a digression about no chill:.
        Could one just seal glad wrap or something similar atop the kettle, with some provision for expansion/contraction, and no chill directly in there like that?

Glad wrap I suppose could work, but many a homebrewer just put the lid on the kettle/pot and leave it as is till the next morning and then transfer to FV. ... If you watch as many YT videos as I do, you'll see then leave it right there where they brewed for the next day.

.... and you being langchop could then ferment right in that same vessel with glad wrap covering the opening
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I dont no chill, but I'd say; Transfer from kettle through sieve to cube , chill to fermentation temp, transfer to keg for fup aerating in the process (finer sieve?) pitch yeast.

Reason: finer sieve as opposed to finings
          groenspookasem
          Banned
          Last edited by groenspookasem; 24 October 2019, 21:32.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            ... ferment right in that same vessel with glad wrap covering the opening
            I already do ferment in the same vessel ..... But maybe with some extra thick and strong military grade glad wrap I can hold in enough pressure to do a FUP as well!
            Cheers,
            Lang
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Here it's now ....

Comment

Here it's now ....

That's super cool, I like the idea of a see trough keg, just keep it in the dark. No surprises of a keg kicking when you least expect it. Nice and light, easy to clean, can also see the fermentation progress
                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

This is interesting re: kegland:...

Do you ship internationally?
                  KegLand Distribution Pty Ltd ships goods Australia wide. We at KegLand.com.au do not ship internationally ourselves, if you want goods shipped internationally, most of the KegLand goods can be shipped directly from www.KegLand.cn in China. When ordering directly from KegLand in China the lead times can be longer as not all the products are stocked and some are made to order. From KegLand China you can order full containers of stock which is preferred however if the orders are not too complicated they will send smaller LCL or courier shipments also.
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Just use aramexglobalshopper, works well, I've brought in stuff from kegland before, easy peasy

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                      Pitched my next fermenting under pressure batch. Blond with US-05 @ 22°C. Half @ 15PSI and half with no pressure.

Day 7 - FG 1.010 - 73.7% attenuation. 3.8% abv.

Fermented them a bit higher than originally planned @ 25°C. Both beers pH of 4.1

Moved both kegs to keezer @ 6°C to clear crash. Both @ 10 PSI to keep it sealed.

15PSI beer on the left - 0 PSI beer on the right.

Harhm
                      Last edited by Harhm; 30 October 2019, 07:54.

Comment

Look very similar. Any differences you saw in aroma or taste at this stage?
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Not much difference from the pics ....

0 psi beer looks slightly darker with maybe 1 SG point higher

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                            Look very similar. Any differences you saw in aroma or taste at this stage?
                            Unfortunately I have a blocked nose but they do smell the same.

Ill taste them after the yeast have settled out properly, im not cold crashing them Ill just keep it in the keezer to carbonate. Ill taste them when they are both carbonated (FUB beer is already carbonated and would taste different anyway) Both beers will still change a lot in the next month and I would rather compare the finished beer

Not much difference from the pics ....

0 psi beer looks slightly darker with maybe 1 SG point higher [emoji106]
                            Yes there might be 1 point difference, Ill let the samples sit a bit and take another SG with my hydrometer that is calibrated in 1 SG points. I do recall that I have read or heard somewhere that you do get a little less attenuation when you FUP.

Ill do a proper colour comparison after the cold crash.

2 days into carbonating in the keezer and they are clearing nicely. Both beers have the same fg and colour
                            Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 8 November 2019, 12:58.

Comment

Just about a week after moving the beers to my keezer. Both beers cleared up nicely and both look the same.

The beers are very close ito appearance, aroma and mouth feel.

Both are very tasty beers. Although a Blond is supposed to have low to med hop aroma Ill lightly dry hop the next batch to give it something extra to stand out amongst other Blonds.

The difference between the 2 beers is not huge but when you drink them side by side you immediately pick up the difference in the mid palate and after taste.

The FUP Beer is definitely cleaner and more crisp with a very slightly dryer finish.

The Zero Pressure beer has more citrus/orange peel character. its not excessive when taking into consideration that they were fermented at the higher side of US-05 @ 25 C. The ester formation is still appropriate at a medium to low levels but definitely there in the zero pressure beer.

Another description would be that if I ask you what yeast was used you would more than likely say that the one was fermented with a Ale yeast and the other might be a lager yeast.

My take on FUP so far is that FUP definitely produces a faster fermentation time due to higher temps but will still produce a cleaner than expected fermentation profile. Definitely a method to master if you want to brew great Lagers.
                              Harhm
                              Last edited by Harhm; 11 November 2019, 09:00.

Comment

^ Great info, Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X