Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Alcohol (Licences and all)

Hi all

I make my own limoncello (among some other variants).

However, I would like to start selling it.

To do this I gather I need some sort of licence to buy distillate (93-96% wine) in bulk (10-20litres at a time)
    I also need to get a license to sell it.

Has anyone gone through this exact process and can provide guidance? What forms, costs etc etc
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I'm subscribing here, because I hope to be going through the same motion sometime soon (although for a different product).

Comment

Hi there,

You could make your own spirit ? Where do you buy 10/20l ? Is it graded for consumption? I've heard some scary stories about what goes into cheap spirit and people reselling this to Joe public unawares of the content.

Heaps of paperwork and costs involved to sell alcohol, jakeslouw on here has gone through the process.

How long do you age for, do you do a syryp zest or backsweeten after fresh citrus,

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

I used to buy from a place in Woodstock who now makes their own gin but they won’t sell to me anymore without a license.

I don’t really have the equipment to do my own distilling.

Recipe is essentially a combination of both

I make lime and naartjie variants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There's a bloke that does contract distilling in Kommetjie, you could give him a ring ? https://www.deepsouthdistillery.co.z...ct-distilling/ He also recently-ish started up and went through the licensing aspect - pleasant fellow, I'm sure he'll give you some pointers

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            There's a bloke that does contract distilling in Kommetjie, you could give him a ring ? https://www.deepsouthdistillery.co.z...ct-distilling/ He also recently-ish started up and went through the licensing aspect - pleasant fellow, I'm sure he'll give you some pointers
            That’s some good info!! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You need at least a distribution license to resell alcohol. You don't need a license to buy it. The license always reverts to the seller or distributor or producer.

I'd find a supplier of base ethanol. There are enough distilleries in the Western Cape that this shouldn't be an issue.

By the time they have 90%+ base ethanol, there is virtually no methanol or even trace minerals left.

Use an alcohol hydrometer to reduce your base to around 50% using your choice of either distilled water (I personally don't see the point) or I'd just use spring water from the outlet at the Newlands brewery or the good spring water supplier of choice.

Then you can add your lemon peels and other aromatics.

We make an orangecello that way: orange peels (no pith!) into 50% triple distilled brewshine. Leave it for a month then drain into bottles.

Approach one of the local distillers, they all have legal contacts for their licenses. Use a professional, pay the money.

Bloody awesome flavour.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
              yep, good advice
              most guys are willing to share info and will also distill under contract or supply

Comment

Working...
              X