Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There's plenty of YT videos on how to cut open a keg (keggle conversion)

Is there also rubber on the lid/top area? ... any photo?

If you want it professionally cut, get an engineering company to do plasma cutting and at the same time do the holes for the element(s) + tap + sightglass for you

EDIT: mine ...

Screenshot_1.jpg

Added this later ...

Screenshot_3.jpg
    Last edited by JIGSAW; 1st June 2020 at 11:50. Reason: Added Pics
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

It's completely rubbered. All over, except for the connector. Even the stand and base and handles:

I wonder what would an engineering company charge? I ideally want just 3 cuts:

1. The lid off.
    2. Hole for the tap.
    3. Hole for the element.

And I'm still in two minds about the element. I'm strongly considering building a "movable" element so I can move it between batches and pots and stuff, and then I'll just want to seal off the connectors with some sort of epoxy or something and done. Not sure if it's practical though.

I'm also starting to consider keeping one keg as-is and using it as an actual keg. You know, getting a coupler and CO2 bottle and starting a tapping thing.

I actually dont think a plasma cutter is going to work on that rubber.

if there is nothing wrong with those kegs, I would save them for kegging purposes.

...then just buy a decommissioned keg from Distell or SAB for under R400

do you have the spears for those? if so, then i'd keep them. if not, check the cost and decide. they're quite dear iirc

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post

And I'm still in two minds about the element. I'm strongly considering building a "movable" element so I can move it between batches and pots and stuff, and then I'll just want to seal off the connectors with some sort of epoxy or something and done. Not sure if it's practical though.
    Check out these guys: https://independentelements.co.za/tu...ting-elements/

My neighbour had an 'over the side element' made up by these guys for his new brewpot.

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    I actually dont think a plasma cutter is going to work on that rubber.

if there is nothing wrong with those kegs, I would save them for kegging purposes.

...then just buy a decommissioned keg from Distell or SAB for under R400
    I think I'm going to grind one and see what mission it is. If it's easy enough, I'll do the other one. If not, I'll see if I can use it for kegging. I have no other kegging equipment and they're not expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    do you have the spears for those? if so, then i'd keep them. if not, check the cost and decide. they're quite dear iirc
    I have nothing for them. At all. Just these.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Check out these guys: https://independentelements.co.za/tu...ting-elements/

My neighbour had an 'over the side element' made up by these guys for his new brewpot.
    Thanks man, I sent them a message. Let's see what they say!

As a side-note, I de-pressurised the one today. Will probably have at it with the grinder this afternoon and take off the lid, see what it looks like inside. Maybe it's easier than I think, and I can just fit a 4kW element in the bottom with a plug and a ball valve and bam, done?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Makes me wonder about just buying a regular element and sealing up the connections again. Something like epoxy, perhaps?

EDIT: Epoxy like this should work: http://www.alcolin.com/diy-products/epoxy/aqua-mend It's apparently made to seal electrical connections underwater, and chemical and temperature up to 150C proof, so should do just fine.
    Yoh! No, just no.
    Sounds a lot like death.
    Not worth taking shortcuts when you have water and electricity together
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Man those kegs look COOL! are they clean inside? And I know this is probably impossible to see but Stainless or aluminum? If its Stainless I'd keep them and start kegging. To bad most fridges will only fit 1 of these

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

I meant coupler, if that's a nambrew keg, it could be the s-type - around R700 from bevplus, but don't take my word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Yoh! No, just no.
    Sounds a lot like death.
    Not worth taking shortcuts when you have water and electricity together
    +1 ... might be easy to built, but who is going to be the guinea pig to test it?